Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a more absorbent a suspension, I live in the D.C. Area and pot holes literally killing me every time I one over one. I already had to get two front tires because it caused ripples on my tires. Any suggestions? The little research I did was saying get coil-overs. But I heard they're no better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
I need a more absorbent a suspension, I live in the D.C. Area and pot holes literally killing me every time I one over one. I already had to get two front tires because it caused ripples on my tires. Any suggestions? The little research I did was saying get coil-overs. But I heard they're no better.

You're going to want a softer suspension. What model do you currently have? I think the se has the softest already available stock.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're going to want a softer suspension. What model do you currently have? I think the se has the softest already available stock.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Limited 2013 1.4 Liter Multiair Turbo

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,013 Posts
Limited 2013 1.4 Liter Multiair Turbo
There's not much you can do about the Dart's inability to handle potholes. Its suspension geometry causes a fairly jarring ride over sharp-edged bumps, and it seems to have fairly short suspension travel (it hits the bump-stops pretty easily). What you might want to consider is downsizing to 16" wheels and using the OEM 205/55-16 tire size. The sidewall is taller and will help to absorb pothole impacts better.

·
Registered
712 Posts
There's not much you can do about the Dart's inability to handle potholes. Its suspension geometry causes a fairly jarring ride over sharp-edged bumps, and it seems to have fairly short suspension travel (it hits the bump-stops pretty easily). What you might want to consider is downsizing to 16" wheels and using the OEM 205/55-16 tire size. The sidewall is taller and will help to absorb pothole impacts better.
This is the best way to go. Coilovers will only really raise the car and won't soften like you want without feeling like a boat if you can even get them that soft. You have to remember coilovers were made for adjustable suspension on the fly and most times they'll stay at stock height or get lower

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
My wife's Impreza has a very soft suspension and rides over potholes reasonably well, but it rolls like a boat going around corners. My Dart Rallye is harsher, but the upside is that it eats sharp curves for lunch. Basically what I'm saying is that your Dart is simply not the best choice of vehicle for rough roads. About the only reasonably cost-effective solution is to do like what @jsblanch just said and find some used 16" SE or SXT wheels and tires which might absorb the shock better. The low-profile 17" and 18" tires are just about the worst choice for pothole-infested roads, because not only do they absorb very little shock but they're easily damaged as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Also, suspension most likely will not help tires (though going with a taller sidewall will help for sure). Tires are going to be hitting those pot holes regardless of your spring rate and rebound dampers. Your best option is what @jsblanch suggested.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a '14 SXT with Rallye package. I recently bought new tires...225/55/17 (thanks to a lot of folks who already did research). They have a taller sidewall than the factory lo-pro tires. Since this is my daily driver (I also have a part-time job delivering pizzas)...I do a lot of driving in it. The taller tires definitely made a difference in managing pot holes. It also may be a cheaper solution than coil-overs. Just my two cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
doobie40
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing