Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow some buddies and I...are installing lowering springs

I have a dart and I'm installing lowerin spring 10mm wheel spacers and a front strut bar

My buddy has a 2005 Nissan Altima and he is installing lowering springs...

Any tips, dos and donts....me and my buddy never install springs before and my other two buddies have done them once or twice before...anything we should look out for...difficulty? Etc etc

·
Registered
849 Posts
Rears are pretty straight forward on the dart they are a coil spring and shock, the front are coil overs though and will require a spring compressor also you will want to install a camber kit at the same time so you can get a wheel alignment to take

·
Registered
422 Posts
Fair warning! The front struts are a nightmare to get out, the front is going to take you some time. The rear is very straightforward. My tip, be very very careful with the ball joint boots because if you rip them then you're gonna be in trouble. A friend and I tried installing my springs and I gave up cause we were having trouble with the front struts and it started to rain. I just dropped it off at the shop for eibach sportline spring install, camber bolt install, and alignment. I'll have her back Monday! Good luck man, can't wait to see how yours looks with the spacers!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Fair warning! The front struts are a nightmare to get out, the front is going to take you some time. The rear is very straightforward. My tip, be very very careful with the ball joint boots because if you rip them then you're gonna be in trouble. A friend and I tried installing my springs and I gave up cause we were having trouble with the front struts and it started to rain. I just dropped it off at the shop for eibach sportline spring install, camber bolt install, and alignment. I'll have her back Monday! Good luck man, can't wait to see how yours looks with the spacers!
I second this about the ball joint, DO NOT USE A BALL JOINT SPLITTER UNLESS YOU HAVE TO, unless you live somewhere there is a lot of salt and things tend to rust you should be able to knock the ball joint and tie rod end loose with a hammer, be careful not to hit the treaded part of the joint but where the ball joint shaft goes in and the joint should pop out

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rears are pretty straight forward on the dart they are a coil spring and shock, the front are coil overs though and will require a spring compressor also you will want to install a camber kit at the same time so you can get a wheel alignment to take
The camber kit goes on the rears right?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man....damn....I'm sorry to hear that...glad you got it all worked out...just out of curiosity......what happens if the ball joint boots are ripped?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I second this about the ball joint, DO NOT USE A BALL JOINT SPLITTER UNLESS YOU HAVE TO, unless you live somewhere there is a lot of salt and things tend to rust you should be able to knock the ball joint and tie rod end loose with a hammer, be careful not to hit the treaded part of the joint but where the ball joint shaft goes in and the joint should pop out
Ok thanks.....for the info!!!......I really appreciate it

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be very very careful when using a spring compressor. If it slips off, the fly parts/springs can break bones... Or worse, fuck up that nice new paint job ;)
So you saying I should've installed them before the paint job lol.......question...when should I install the front strut bar? before or after the front springs..ir during the front springs?

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
So you saying I should've installed them before the paint job lol.......question...when should I install the front strut bar? before or after the front springs..ir during the front springs?
You might as well do it at the same time while the wheels are off, it's a lot easier that way.

·
Registered
849 Posts
The camber kit goes on the rears right?
There should be a camber kit for the front and rear, when you lower a vehicle the wheel tend to lean in and can cause premature tire wear. Make sure you get a good quality spring compressor that will be suitable for the lowered springs, the coils will be closer together than stock and yes be VERY CAREFUL, if it comes apart the paint on the car will be the least of your concerns, if you have a vice to put the strut in to hold it while you remove the spring will be ideal, quick run down of steps, 1. DO NOT REMOVE THE CENTER NUT ON THE STRUT WITH TENSION STILL ON THE SPRING, remove the strut from the car and secure somewhere 2. use the spring compressor and compress the spring until the spring is loose in the saddle 3. after the tension is off of the spring then you can remove the center nut off the strut and remove the upper strut mount and bearing then remove the spring and remove the spring compressor from the old spring 4. install spring compressor onto the new springs and set over the strut 5. install the upper strut bearing and mount and tighten center nut 6. position the spring into the saddle (there will be a groove or something where you can see where it goes) and release the spring compressor, do one side a little then the other a little until it is released all the way then install on the car. Pay attention to how the coil over looks before you take it apart, it is pretty straight forward and if you have a little mechanical knowledge then you should be able to do the job just be careful with the springs, i can not express that enough because you can get seriously hurt if you are being stupid, and you will be o.k. Hope this helps you and good luck.

p.s. I think the Altima will have coil overs on all 4 corners but they will all be done the same

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks man....damn....I'm sorry to hear that...glad you got it all worked out...just out of curiosity......what happens if the ball joint boots are ripped?
Thanks man! If the ball join boot rips all the grease will leak out and eventually start to clunk very loudly, it'll sound like the car is broken

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There should be a camber kit for the front and rear, when you lower a vehicle the wheel tend to lean in and can cause premature tire wear. Make sure you get a good quality spring compressor that will be suitable for the lowered springs, the coils will be closer together than stock and yes be VERY CAREFUL, if it comes apart the paint on the car will be the least of your concerns, if you have a vice to put the strut in to hold it while you remove the spring will be ideal, quick run down of steps, 1. DO NOT REMOVE THE CENTER NUT ON THE STRUT WITH TENSION STILL ON THE SPRING, remove the strut from the car and secure somewhere 2. use the spring compressor and compress the spring until the spring is loose in the saddle 3. after the tension is off of the spring then you can remove the center nut off the strut and remove the upper strut mount and bearing then remove the spring and remove the spring compressor from the old spring 4. install spring compressor onto the new springs and set over the strut 5. install the upper strut bearing and mount and tighten center nut 6. position the spring into the saddle (there will be a groove or something where you can see where it goes) and release the spring compressor, do one side a little then the other a little until it is released all the way then install on the car. Pay attention to how the coil over looks before you take it apart, it is pretty straight forward and if you have a little mechanical knowledge then you should be able to do the job just be careful with the springs, i can not express that enough because you can get seriously hurt if you are being stupid, and you will be o.k. Hope this helps you and good luck.

p.s. I think the Altima will have coil overs on all 4 corners but they will all be done the same
So roughly how long does it take to install springs?

·
Registered
849 Posts
So roughly how long does it take to install springs?
When the strut is out it won't take long, maybe 30 minutes on the first one but if you are doing the job in your driveway without air tools you can bet on a couple of hours a side to do the fronts, the rears are easy and are pretty straight forward and should take maybe and hour to do the first one

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You ever get the install done?
Sure did.....all finished up last night..will have pics up later today after work.....it does look good..and wheel look a little more flush with the car now.....the drop in the back is sexy as hell...hated having my ass in air.....I will post pics here and in my build thread when I take em

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sure did.....all finished up last night..will have pics up later today after work.....it does look good..and wheel look a little more flush with the car now.....the drop in the back is sexy as hell...hated having my ass in air.....I will post pics here and in my build thread when I take em
Nice! I got mine installed almost a week ago and they're settling in real nice, and the ride quality is amazing. I wish I had gotten the 10 mm spacers but I used the money to order the front chin spoiler and wheels instead haha

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice! I got mine installed almost a week ago and they're settling in real nice, and the ride quality is amazing. I wish I had gotten the 10 mm spacers but I used the money to order the front chin spoiler and wheels instead haha
Here's the pic of it lowered and with the spacers

ForumRunner_20131228_103437.png

ForumRunner_20131228_103448.png

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts