Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye. I love the sound system with the 8" deck sub but want more. I have a box in my trunk but I don't have any wires or an amp for them, as I got them from a friend. I was wondering if I could disconnect the stock sub and use those wires to go straight to my box. I know the stock system doesn't run much wattage but if it works, it works. I found connectors for cheap on amazon where they plug in directly to the stock wire harness so I could just plug them in.

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-6514-Speaker-Chrysler-Vehicles/dp/B0007WTEVM/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Metra+72-6514&qid=1568587539&sr=8-2

So if I plug those in where the stock sub would normally connect, could I wire both blacks together and both whites together and then run them to the positive and negative terminals on my sub box?
I don't know a lot about subs and stuff so anything helps. Just wondering if I could wire in my subs to the stock amp. Anything helps, thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello. I have a 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye. I love the sound system with the 8" deck sub but want more. I have a box in my trunk but I don't have any wires or an amp for them, as I got them from a friend. I was wondering if I could disconnect the stock sub and use those wires to go straight to my box. I know the stock system doesn't run much wattage but if it works, it works. I found connectors for cheap on amazon where they plug in directly to the stock wire harness so I could just plug them in.

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-6514-Speaker-Chrysler-Vehicles/dp/B0007WTEVM/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Metra+72-6514&qid=1568587539&sr=8-2

So if I plug those in where the stock sub would normally connect, could I wire both blacks together and both whites together and then run them to the positive and negative terminals on my sub box?
I don't know a lot about subs and stuff so anything helps. Just wondering if I could wire in my subs to the stock amp. Anything helps, thanks!
Personally, even if it IS possible I wouldn't just cause you risk shorting it

·
Registered
316 Posts
Heh "You purchased this item on May 5, 2016" I thought i had the car longer before i install that sub...guess not!

You can try it and i don't think it shouldn't hurt anything in the short term as long as you're not stupid about it, but you most likely will not get the oomph you're looking for and may lessen the lifespan of the amp in the process. The current alpine amp does not push a lot to that tiny 8" sub and will most likely sound worse trying to push a 10" or 12" with higher power draw.

You would be much happier wiring it to a second amp and driving the sub from there. My JBL has high level inputs and i spliced the wiring from the 3.5's in the rear...its still sounds great! I was too afraid to connect the subs wiring even though i had the connectors for it, because i was not sure if it exceeded the 35watt max input listed on the amp. I guess i could have taken a multimeter to it at any point to find out, but it sounds damn good and i've got this amazing headache from dub step currently so what does it matter?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts