Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to share a good experience with a HID kit vendor that I found...

Dodge Dart HID Headlights Kits - Best Dodge Dart Xenon HID Lights

These HID kits are on sale right now, but I do not know for how long! Also, when you sign up, they will give you a 10% off discount code!

So lets get started!

Here is the un-boxing and look over of everything included in this kit!

4i4uPFz.jpg

This kit includes:

(2)- Xenon HID bulbs (your choice of color)

(2)- Electronic ballasts (they ARE canbus! which will come into play later)

(1)- Relay Wiring Harness

(1)- "Warning Eliminator" aka Capacitor

(2)- 3M Double Sided sticky pads (for mounting the ballasts)

(1)- Handful of black zip-ties

Now, there is an option to upgrade to the "premium slim ballasts" for $20... I did this, but i dont think it will make a difference either way for this review/setup.

Here is a link to a youtube video that shows a little of the installation done by XenonSupply:

Now, there are multiple ways that you can install this kit... BUT it all depends on how the kit works with your dart... I read different reviews for different darts. One review for a 2013 dart stated that there is no way to install this without getting the "bulb out" warning... Another review for a 2015 said that once installed (without the capacitor) the relay would buzz very loudly! I also ran into this issue...

In the video above the guy says that when you drill into the bulb covers on the back of the headlight that you are supposed to make it 1-1/4" wide... THIS IS INCORRECT!!!
I found by using a step-bit/uni-bit that has a max hole size of 1-1/8" that this hole was still a bit too large for the rubber grommets that are on the bulb wires... If I had my best guess, I would say go with a hole about 1" in diameter for the grommet... You can always make it larger! That way the grommet fits snuggly and you dont have to worry about it moving around and letting moisture or anything in!

Now, on to the next little piece of info that I have found about these kits!
There are multiple ways that you can install this kit on our cars... I will include the wiring diagrams for those of you lighting/electrical nuts!

This is basic install:
HID-Install.jpg

This is install with the relay harness but NO capacitor:
Accessory-Wiring-Harness-Layout-w-Prongs.jpg

This is install with the relay harness AND the capacitor:
Accessory-Wiring-Harness-Layout-w-Capacitor.jpg

As you can see, there really isnt much to setting this all up! I first started with the third diagram posted above, but I ran into an issue... The stock lights on the dart are halogen bulbs, meaning that they run reverse polarity to the HID... SO, when I installed the capacitor, I didnt realize that on of the plugs didnt match each other (red to red and black to black)... I decided that maybe the capacitor was broken or bad or something...

I went to the second diagram (shown above) and I installed the kit with the relay harness but without the capacitor... The lights came on!!! BUT the relay was buzzing like a hive of the most angry bees you've ever heard! I decided to both contact Xenonsupply and @Cntrollerfanboy for some more info!

Xenonsupply told me that they had heard of that issue and sometimes the relay can be bad as well as the capacitor... SO they shipped me a new wiring harness and capacitor FOR FREE! @Cntrollerfanboy went over all the knowledge he had with HID kits and other info with me and brought up the fact that halogen and HID are opposite polarity, so I needed to go back to the third diagram (above).

I then did just that, I installed the capacitor where it was supposed to go according to the 3rd wiring diagram, BUT I found the one connector that was opposite(red to black and black to red) and I took that connector and spun it around so that the wires matched (red to red and black to black)

SUCCESS!!!!

The lights came on! and were running great! Ding... ding.... ding... Then that terrible noise that we all have heard... the warning bling notifying you that something isnt correct or you have a CEL...
The "bulb out" warning was active on my TFT display... it wasnt a CEL (thank god) BUT it was more annoying... When I drove my car for the first time at night with the HIDs installed then damn warning bling must've happened about 10 times...

I HATE THAT SOUND!!!!!

So finally, I decided that there has got to be a way to remove that warning message as well as not have the relay buzzing... So I got to reading. I found that my impatient ass didnt read the description completely before I purchased everything... but it states on the Xenonsupply website(linked at the top) that the premium ballasts have both CANbus and anti-flicker capacitors built into them!

Then, after reading that and being told by @Cntrollerfanboy that as long as the ballasts are CANbus that they can be wired directly into the OEM headlight connectors... I decided to go ahead and remove the relay harness and capacitor that was sent to me with the rest of the kit and wire the ballasts directly into the OEM headlight plugs via the first diagram (above).

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found a setup that works! There is no relay to buzz anymore and no "bulb out" warning! Now, according to the youtube video and comments that are linked above, Xenonsupply recommends that you use the relay harness and capacitor to protect the ECU... BUT since the dart's headlights are controlled by the BCM we dont really have to worry! I have had them installed via the first wiring diagram (above) for about a week now and have had no issues!

Here is a comparison old vs. new:
Old: 3wV18jv.jpg New: JVLWzzw.jpg

Old: e4YfBHo.jpg New: p2bqT5X.jpg

I will tell you all this... These 6000k may not look like much when they are running as low beams, but when you hit the high beams... HOT DAMN! its like you said "LET THERE BE LIGHT!" and you will see so well in front of you! The funny thing is that on the Xenonsupply website, they say that the 4300K are the brightest ones they offer... With how bright these 6000K HIDs are, I cant imagine how bright the 4300K are!

I hope you all find this helpful!

Reactions: BEMEUP and jsblanch

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
I found a setup that works! There is no relay to buzz anymore and no "bulb out" warning! Now, according to the youtube video and comments that are linked above, Xenonsupply recommends that you use the relay harness and capacitor to protect the ECU... BUT since the dart's headlights are controlled by the BCM we dont really have to worry!
That's not entirely the case. I don't understand why they state "ECU". I don't think that any car can effectively get their ECU fried from headlights. Even older cars without BCM controlled headlights I think the worst that would happen is you blew the headlight fuse and you could replace it. Or fry the wiring harness entirely, but that could happen either way and normally only happens if there was moisture, or something getting to the wires.

Now a days a lot of modern cars are going the way of BCM controlled lights throughout the car and CANbus implementation. What I believe they really meant to say was BCM or just any modules associated with the car's headlight system. A quick search online didn't result in anything related to an ECU failure. Only thing I found was fuses and then issues like we have on our car. There are a handful here on the forum about the BCM being fried when not using the proper HID components.

So just to clearify, it's actually a bigger issue since our car has lights monitored by the BCM, but since these happen to be CANbus ballasts, and we have seen great success with them on here, they should be fine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I love my hid kit as well, but they are so good as high beams (like you said) that the auto high beam camera thinks most road signs reflecting my high beams are other cars on the road. Very annoying.

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
Nice DIY write up but wouldn't it just be simpler/easier to find OE HID lights?
That's a big negative. To install OEM HID's you would need to replace your BCM, replace your wiring harnesses, replace your headlights (housings) along with the bulbs of course, and purchase ballasts. All of which, in a previous post it was talked about, well over a couple G's out of your pocket if you wanted installed at the dealer. Bulbs ALONE are about $300, ballasts are close behind, headlights are a couple hundred a piece, BCM I am not sure maybe close to $200 if I remember correctly (which isn't too bad), and then replace the wiring from 9006 to D3S. Which I don't know what that would consist of in the way of process. lol And then a trip to the dealer for a PROXI alignment and whatever else needs done for recalibration.

If it's electronic, almost everything in this car is nearly impossible to upgrade. And if it is it's normally really difficult and annoying and or expensive. Easiest thing would be swapping out the dome lights for LEDs lol and even that you need special bulbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great write up. IF anyone can throw me an assist on this that would be great. I bought some 55W 5000K HID Kensun Kits with a single relay harness and the Error Eliminator Capacitors. However I followed the directions to the T but I feel like this is incorrect can anyone point me in the right direction. I currently have it set-up just as the picture shows and i'm getting light flicker (random small flicker on right head light) and the CEL "low beam light out" . I'm thinking I should follow the directions above but when I try it, it seems to cause the relay to go apeshit. I do not have CANBUS ballasts. I just purchased a dual-relay tonight to see if that can hook up to help...

Note: I'm not a moron. This is like my 20th HID install. I've never had an issue until now... I think I've just gotten lucky an never had to deal with CANB U

hid.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Exitus04, thank you so much for sharing your success, I have ordered these: Innovited Premium AC Canbus HID Kit 100% Error Free No Flicker No Warning - 9012 - 5000K and these for the fog lights: Innovited Premium AC Canbus HID Kit 100% Error Free No Flicker No Warning - H11 H9 H8 - 5000K and I will try to install just as you did, I'll come to share if I was successful! I have a 2015 Dart GT. Once again thanks for all the info and will happy share my success here very soon w/in a week!!!

Edit:
Alright my friends, as promised Im back with a happy ending and pictures to share!! All worked out perfectly as planned. Thanks to Exitus04 my install was quick and easy, see pics below.

I has been a week so far and happy to mention that so far so good.
No flickers, no canbus errors, no nothing :in love:
I was planning to upgrade my turning signals to LEDs but after trying
a bunch of plug and play w/out success I gave up. Im mostly happy
about these H.I.D. 5000k bulbs working perfectly.

For those of you wondering if it's worth the upgrade.. Heck yeah!!
Best regards,
Spiktsu

·
Registered
1 Posts
I has been a week so far and happy to mention that so far so good.
No flickers, no canbus errors, no nothing

I was planning to upgrade my turning signals to LEDs but after trying
a bunch of plug and play w/out success I gave up. Im mostly happy
about these H.I.D. 5000k bulbs working perfectly.
For those of you wondering if it's worth the upgrade.. Heck yeah!!
Best regards,
Spiktsu[/QUOTE]

I +1 this kit/set up. It was fairly priced, easy to install and looks amazing no issues, other than the polarity one the one plug is reversed as shown in his photo. This is a pic of the final look i got same exact kit but the 6000k instead of 5k. Dart Areo 1.4 turbo. I think they both look nice though just depends on your car color 6k looks sleek with black hehe. Sorry for the snow it shat on us all of a sudden, I would describe the color as very diamond white with slight blue overtone hue. If you dont want any blue tones like platinum but want the pure sunlight mid-day white I'd go with 5k. 8k would probably be really blue not factory looking but lighter blue than say not intense dark blue like 10k. In my experience for those who dont know, the higher you go in K-kelvin rating the worse you will be able to see in the rain, the concrete sort of just absorbs the light rather than reflecting it once you get up to 8k and higher.. In the opposite end 4k HID around there will look amazing off road conditions everything will look very HD, good for ralleye and desert country roads ect.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the Morimoto Elite HID kit... I wish they were a little more clear on the description and kit. First they said it will work, no problem. Installed and have a bulb out warning. Then I emailed and said I need a large Resistor and some extra wires and plugs, spent more money and got that stuff, still bulb out. Then they said I needed some other stuff.... Come on guys, what the heck, do I need it or not ? Well, I almost wish I would have just got a cheaper kit with canbus ballasts ( which I think Morimoto or The RetroFit Source still does not have for the Dart). Anyways, I am kind of iffy on bypassing the relay harness and plugging straight into the ballasts … had any issues yet ?
I am going to install a set of Cree chip LED 9012 bulbs soon and hope they are close the brightness of my HIDs (which is about 1100 LUX at 25ft). The LEDs might not be as bright, but the maintenance cost for LEDs is much less. I have only been able to get almost 2 years out of the bulbs and ballasts before I have to replace them.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have the Morimoto Elite HID kit... I wish they were a little more clear on the description and kit. First they said it will work, no problem. Installed and have a bulb out warning. Then I emailed and said I need a large Resistor and some extra wires and plugs, spent more money and got that stuff, still bulb out. Then they said I needed some other stuff.... Come on guys, what the heck, do I need it or not ? Well, I almost wish I would have just got a cheaper kit with canbus ballasts ( which I think Morimoto or The RetroFit Source still does not have for the Dart). Anyways, I am kind of iffy on bypassing the relay harness and plugging straight into the ballasts … had any issues yet ?
I am going to install a set of Cree chip LED 9012 bulbs soon and hope they are close the brightness of my HIDs (which is about 1100 LUX at 25ft). The LEDs might not be as bright, but the maintenance cost for LEDs is much less. I have only been able to get almost 2 years out of the bulbs and ballasts before I have to replace them.
Get the xenon-vision kit. I had the TRS morimoto kit for 2 years and it always had bulb out errors when it was raining or cold. I’ve had the xenon-vision kit installed for 8 months and never had one issue. Use the code dodge-dart for a discount

Reactions: McLabia

·
Registered
298 Posts
Get the xenon-vision kit. I had the TRS morimoto kit for 2 years and it always had bulb out errors when it was raining or cold. I’ve had the xenon-vision kit installed for 8 months and never had one issue. Use the code dodge-dart for a discount
Can't second this hard enough. I love my 5k 55watters.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I can’t attest to the quality of xenon vision for our darts. Been running 6K fogs and headlights for a while now and im more than satisfied. No error messages.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts