Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on Tuesday 12/2 I take my 2013 dart rallye 1.4t manual in for what I know has been overdue sparkplug and coils about a $1300.00 job
Yet my TPMS service message came on after a blowout exactly 1 week prior which took out the passenger front wheelwell cover why has the dealer at Shaver Auto group failed to give an estimate and yesterday they say we are still diagnosing mechanical issues. You'd think they'd give an estimate to at least begin some of the maintenance/repairs like oil change brakes etc. Why are they lagging

·
Administrator
5,734 Posts
It's why many people call them stealerships.

Reactions: maur7aider

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Taking car to mechanic soon for turbo and vacuum pump replacement. Just wondering if I'll have to have the cat when I get it installed after the turbo vacuum pump will need to be flashed by the dealer. In order to work.
I'm trying to do a one shop deal but I don't know if this is likely

·
Administrator
5,734 Posts
The vacuum pump is not for the turbo. It is for the power brake booster.
Replacing the turbo does not require a PCM flash.
If this mechanic is trying to confuse you take it somewhere else

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vacuum pump is not for the turbo. It is for the power brake booster.
Replacing the turbo does not require a PCM flash.
If this mechanic is trying to confuse you take it somewhere else
Thanks. I was under the impression the turbo and cat would need a pump flash. Maybe the independant mechanic i had clear the codes has no idea.

·
Administrator
5,734 Posts
Thanks. I was under the impression the turbo and cat would need a pump flash. Maybe the independant mechanic i had clear the codes has no idea.
Either he is confused and incompetent or he knows just enough to pad the bill hoping that you know even less than he does.
Take it somewhere else if you care about your Dart.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took it to mid valley auto on Winnetka the man Tony Fuchs who did all the work on my civic was located.
He never did me wrong. Only thing I'm questioning is I'm in CA and I need a new cat but because of ca smog regulations an oem cat for the 1.4t carb legal is $2400.00 and product estimated availability is N/A so I'm just going to order Tork downpipe with cat and hope it passes smog along with turbo and evap hose the evap hose is backorder 30+ days what the dealer was going to do for around $7500 I'll be out the garage under $2800. So that's a bonus.... hope all is rev'n fine

·
Registered
896 Posts
Took it to mid valley auto on Winnetka the man Tony Fuchs who did all the work on my civic was located.
He never did me wrong. Only thing I'm questioning is I'm in CA and I need a new cat but because of ca smog regulations an oem cat for the 1.4t carb legal is $2400.00 and product estimated availability is N/A so I'm just going to order Tork downpipe with cat and hope it passes smog along with turbo and evap hose the evap hose is backorder 30+ days what the dealer was going to do for around $7500 I'll be out the garage under $2800. So that's a bonus.... hope all is rev'n fine
If it doesn't have a C.A.R.B approval sticker you will probably fail. When they do smog they will usually run the numbers on the CAT and if its not approved automatic failure. This happened with my Camaro in CA. I got it smogged and they ran the numbers and even though it passed all the emissions portions with flying colors because the cat wasn't made for a Camaro it failed. I had to go get a new one installed and get retest. Fast forward to the next smog, they tried to fail it saying the replacement cat was no longer an approved cat. I had to go home get the receipt and show them them it was installed before the cat was taken off the "approved" list. If there is a check engine light on already it aint passing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the rallye was renewed new turbo new vacuum pump new injectors was told to put about 100miles on it if it didn't light up my mechanic would take it to get smogged so last week I'm about 1 mile away and stop at a red light I notice the temp gauge a tad higher than normal thought nothing then the light turns green my engine is off and a cloud of unscented white smoke blows from the rear to front no start no nothing no electrical nothing get it towed to mechanic just found out that cylinder 2 has fused to block and new engine is needed fml going to mechanic now he suggests a long block and will check pricing I know nothing about blocks or anything American per se. Since my previous car was a civic but powered with a type r from Japan yeah I used to be one of those guys...lol
So I was under the impression that a 4cyl isn't a long block wouldn't a long block be like a v8. Looks like I'm in a money pit but a new engine would be covered by warranty right. Any help and less grief about coil packs spark plugs and paying 1400.00 to the dealer for this maintanence at 33000 miles I think would be better.. but I know nothing

·
Administrator
5,734 Posts
A long block is a factory assembled engine that includes the short block and head with the valve train. Usually doesn't include the manifolds or fuel system or electronics. If it's even available, it will be expensive. You might want to search for a wrecked Dart.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So now car is back running smooth but I still need smog. It was due for renewal 11/21. Oops...lol
I have aftermarket cat on it but I have been searching and alot of people are using these cat bung type things with mini cats in them to trick the ecu into thinking stock or oem cat is on...
I need help because each time I try to do drive cycle on the dart to reset it it gives mil no way to smog.
Does anyone have experience with these o2 bung cheats...
And do I need 1 that goes in downflow or 2 one foe each 02 sensor?
And which one should I get?

·
Premium Member
2013 Dart Limited 1.4T 6-Speed
329 Posts
You would only need one for the rear O2 sensor, since that is the one that monitors catalyst efficiency. California is pretty strict on emissions though, and they are supposed to do a visual inspection when they smog it. They may see the bung extender (instant fail) or that the cat is aftermarket, and request a CARB number for the cat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went to do a smog but the guy doing it said I had to perform a drive cycle....
Then the new 02 sensors would register....
Actually my Mechanic said that's where he sends all his customers and many are not street legal...
Thanks for the info...
Do you know if I can try it with one of the bung cat cel delete ones. That actually have a catalyst in them...or I'm I just SOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts