Dodge Dart Forum banner

201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
SOLUTION...
Road Force balance your wheels ..
I know it sounds ridiculous though this happened to me after I got all new tires, balance, and had the steering aligned..
I returned to the "Firestone" where they installed and did all the work after I noticed the vibration at higher speed.
Alignment was verified and I had to test drive with the tech so they could understand ..they then rebalanced and still nothing .
They then used a special balancing machine called a "Road Force" balancer and it worked.
No more high speed vibration. In the past they only used it for special wheels that called for it.
Though that's the key... Find a shop that has it and try it.. It worked for me.

Oh .. Let me add that they did not charge me any extra.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have experienced increasing vibration also . I had new OEM tires installed NTB .paid for mounting balance and TPS seal kit. They tried to sell me life time balance for rediculous high price. The writer also told me I need alignment all 4 wheels out. I declined those packages as my tires all though almost 73,000 mi on them were all evenly worn. They showed me a computer print out of wheels and alignment problems. I said no thank you. Original tires have worn perfect .service writer-sales .tried to argue differently. I said b.s. I asked for alignment sheet document on my car he would not give to me so I just grabbed it out of his hand. And I kept it. Now after all said and done.i paid for 3 tires promo and rebate on 4th tire for free with mail in. Mount and balance and TPS seal kit .only when I got car back I found dirt film on tire stems haven't been touched that's when I discovered there is no tire pressure monitor seal kits they are rubber not steel I never paid attention before. I walked back in . Now at this time there was numerous customers. In waiting /pay desk now service /sales man to busy to help me so I quietly asked him if would like to discuss problem in front of all these people or go out side and discuss . He then Came out with me I pointed to the monitors and asked how do you change the seals on them and not disturb the dirt . He now knew he was caught. Well any way. I needed wiper blades at the time so I said replace my blades and I will forget about it. He came out with the cheapest blades I said no I want the best . He reluctantly agreed so the changed them. I thought end of story but since a few thousand miles. I found out they never mounted heavy point of tires correctly. And never took factory OEM weights off. Now originals falling off here and there vibration getting worse. I discovered this doing brakes myself. OEM weights missing here and there. And the weights NTB dekalb in Illinois were huge. To counterbalance the their incompetence and/or scam.well any ways if you read this far the point of all this was a balance issue and problem stated above. Check all work when done these are a few of the scams out there. Any way after all said and done I got the rebate back recently and of corse its a NTB debit card no good for cash but works for food and gas so I paid for three got a forth and a lot of BS for a great price. My review of NTB in Dekalb Illinois and I suspect the chain is (poor) . BUT buyer beware if you have mechanical knowledge and negotiating skills you can play their game and come out ahead. Patience is a virtu .

·
Registered
164 Posts
I actually noticed this on my dart as well recently, slight vibrations though nothing crazy. I'm getting new wheels/tires soon so hopefully the problem will be gone when they get put on and balanced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2013 Limited with 2.0. I get vibration only when accelerating above about 80 MPH. Other than that the car is smooth. Vibration severity seems to vary from day to day. There are some days when I hardly notice it and then others it is almost a shudder. I got new tires about 10,000 miles ago. I've had them rotated and rebalanced once. I'm going to try the traction control module test first to see if it has any affect. I am worried because I've been down this road before wit my 2001 300M Never could figure out that vibration issue.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have a 2013 Limited with 2.0. I get vibration only when accelerating above about 80 MPH. Other than that the car is smooth. Vibration severity seems to vary from day to day. There are some days when I hardly notice it and then others it is almost a shudder. I got new tires about 10,000 miles ago. I've had them rotated and rebalanced once. I'm going to try the traction control module test first to see if it has any affect. I am worried because I've been down this road before wit my 2001 300M Never could figure out that vibration issue.
How many miles are on your car?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
About 58,000. I had it in the dealership Saturday. Tech did feel the vibration when we took a drive. Couldn't find anything loose but thinks it might be axles because it is happening on acceleration only. They are going to start by replacing both axles under warranty. There seems to be some issue however determining which is the correct axle for the driver side. They say they need to consult with the "parts specifier". 3 days later and they still haven't figured out which axle to order. Sounds odd to me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2013 has had the vibration since I bought it new. Had it in a couple times, never got fixed. Multiple tire rotations and balances, never fixed it. When I replaced the front rotors and pads the vibration almost completely went away for a week or two, but came back. Fast forward to now, seems like the vibration is getting worse, and its obviously related to engine load, let of the gas or pop it in neutral it goes away instantly. I'm nearing 125,000 miles now, thinking to try new axles at this point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought my Dart used around 70k on her and has had a vibration since at around 60-75 but let me give a timeline here and what I found out.

Original tires on the car Continental Purecontact - balanced twice from two different places still slight vibration -

Current tires on the car Ohtsu FP7000 (Falken) - Installed and balanced vibration still there - Took car for 300 mile road trip instant tire humming noise at 65-70 night and day difference from Continental to this tire.

Vibration get's worse lately after possible pot hole hit? Not sure but it seems like it.

Ohtsu re balanced again at a local shop still vibrating and still worse then the initial mount a few weeks earlier. Tech states rims look bent some wobble in all of them some worse some better

Local car dealer I worked with puts the car on the lift we spot a bent rim inner lip on the rear, front right wheel has slight side to side play - Tech says the rear rim is def causing vibrations into the car no matter what because of the bend and the other rims are most likely slight bent causing even more vibration.

Snow tires and 4 steel wheels going on car next week will give the update on this vibration if still exists! stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Bought my Dart used around 70k on her and has had a vibration since at around 60-75 but let me give a timeline here and what I found out.

Original tires on the car Continental Purecontact - balanced twice from two different places still slight vibration -

Current tires on the car Ohtsu FP7000 (Falken) - Installed and balanced vibration still there - Took car for 300 mile road trip instant tire humming noise at 65-70 night and day difference from Continental to this tire.

Vibration get's worse lately after possible pot hole hit? Not sure but it seems like it.

Ohtsu re balanced again at a local shop still vibrating and still worse then the initial mount a few weeks earlier. Tech states rims look bent some wobble in all of them some worse some better

Local car dealer I worked with puts the car on the lift we spot a bent rim inner lip on the rear, front right wheel has slight side to side play - Tech says the rear rim is def causing vibrations into the car no matter what because of the bend and the other rims are most likely slight bent causing even more vibration.

Snow tires and 4 steel wheels going on car next week will give the update on this vibration if still exists! stay tuned.
Good luck. What a frustrating situation. Just out of curiosity, were you previous balancing 'Road Force" balancing?

·
Registered
8 Posts

Update:

Mount and balanced all 4 new General Altimax Artic 12 snow tires size 215/55/17 on Road Ready steel wheels from Ebay with stick on weights (hence we were out of clip on's) also we used a road force balance machine for this. All 4 wheels took a max of 40 ounces of weights one was only 10 ounce so naturally these rims were pretty within good specs to begin with combined with the tires. Installed all new lug studs from Amazon (I'll link that in a minute) and had the tires mounted on the car.

60-70 MPH results - Very little vibration into the cabin and steering wheel shaking is nearly gone all together. The only vibration I feel is most likely the road or something else on the car that is causing it. On a level of 1-10 were at 1-2 right now so maybe it's the rotors causing this throwing off some unwanted vibration.

I ordered up new brake rotors and pads all the way around so there going on the car next to see if that is causing the last remaining tiny slight vibration into the cabin - I will update this again soon but right now it looks like cheap bent factory 17in rims that you might not notice by looking at them since mine had very little to nothing indicating they were.

LUG NUT STUDS FROM AMAZON -28 MM -

- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BPWQBBI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
425 Posts
Seemingly same issue.

When ACCELERATING @ 70+ there is a vibration. This goes away once I near 80.

However, if I'm 70+ with light acceleration, there is no vibration.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just had the flash update for the power steering module, did not work for me.

***Edit*** For now I'm going to hold off on saying it did not work...after driving yesterday 90 miles and today on the way in to work 45 miles, it actually does feels smoother, that slight shake side to side the steering wheel used to do is no longer there, but that first day on the way home from the dealer it was there. I do have a little vibe that feels tire related, I just bought tires a couple weeks ago. I'm going to have them rebalanced and see what happens.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dont know if anyone has come forth on this but in my case I changed the top mounts and plastic clips where the suspension sits and most of it went away. Its plastic so im sure that could be an issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It definitely reduced the vibration when I got new tires and wheels but for me the wheels/tires are out of the question. There is something else making my wheel vibrate. Maybe it's little Dodge elves trying to piss me off.....
Look i got new tires with new rims, replaced the transmission thrust bushing, and the left front axel, so far. Then I took it to Bell Tire and had them do an alignment. I still have the same problem and just as bad. Of course Bell wanted to re balance all four of my tires but for what. The problem was there before and it remains. The next is the right front axel, which of course is twice as much as the left because I have a manual transmission, go figure, but found one on line for less then the $500+ the dealer wanted. Will check in om this “ tork bolt” issue, and the other control arm I think I read. MORE TO FOLLOW.

201 - 217 of 217 Posts