Dodge Dart Forum banner

181 - 200 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
they just ripping you off man, some darts have 18s from the factory, as long as it is not crazy setup and it has same specs as factory rims and tires they should take it with no problem, PLUS wheel vibration issues is not an official recall, but it is fact that darts need re flash steering wheel module, they shouldn't charge you for that, try different dealer

Also, if you want, we can swap your rims to mine and you can re flash your module and swap back, you know where you can find me ;)
I feel like they might want to have my factory wheels... Like my steelies. I'm down to do it but I'm afraid that they will scratch my wheels... America's Tire Co. scratched my wheels and they didn't even care... So I'm afraid if we go to any place that they will scratch them... The manager from the America's Tire Co. I went to said, "It is going to happen almost every time (scratching wheels). There's nothing we can do about it and we won't fix it every time." From a former employee it is not that hard to scratch wheels, I worked on a car where this guy got magnesium wheels for his 2013 M3 with only 700 miles on it. I didn't leave a scratch on them. To make it worse I even expressed concern and told them that I want them to be careful with them. Sorry for ranting but that's why I'm hesitant to swap my wheels and whatnot.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I feel like they might want to have my factory wheels... Like my steelies. I'm down to do it but I'm afraid that they will scratch my wheels... America's Tire Co. scratched my wheels and they didn't even care... So I'm afraid if we go to any place that they will scratch them... The manager from the America's Tire Co. I went to said, "It is going to happen almost every time (scratching wheels). There's nothing we can do about it and we won't fix it every time." From a former employee it is not that hard to scratch wheels, I worked on a car where this guy got magnesium wheels for his 2013 M3 with only 700 miles on it. I didn't leave a scratch on them. To make it worse I even expressed concern and told them that I want them to be careful with them. Sorry for ranting but that's why I'm hesitant to swap my wheels and whatnot.
o_O whatever

·
Registered
822 Posts
My dealership found the flash and whatnot but I would have to pay $150 for the flash or the diagnostic, I don't remember which. Only because I have aftermarket wheels and those may be the cause according to them... My factory steelies are all the way in Nevada so I don't think it is going to be worth it to go to Nevada and back... Sooo I'll try and save up $150 for them to fix it.
Make them prove it's your rims and tires (have them switch them out with a set off of one of their cars), if they can prove it, then pay them, if not ... well I think you get the idea. I know it's hard, they play mind games with you and try to make you second guess everything just to save or make a buck. The TSB is pretty straight forward, according to it, they have to perform the Road Force Balance (it shouldn't be $150, more like $75) then if that doesn't work they are suppose to perform the Flash... the TSB is designed for them to make money on their mistake... I got lucky, my dealership doesn't have a road force machine, so they just performed the flash to see if it worked first.

maybe @DodgeCACares can help?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Mines back...... swapped my winter wheels on Saturday took it in Monday not thinking and they won't touch it kuz the rims are aftermarket... though they are the stock 16 inch tire size... frig

Sent from my SGH-I337M using DodgeDart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sterring shake

Omg. I am having the same issue with my dart. Just dropped 400 dollars for two tires at my mechanics advise. Still has the vibration.. Smh. Has anyone figured this problem out yet and how to fix it. I'm supposed to take it back to my local garage to have him look at it again. Does anyone know if there is a recall on this problem yet?
OK, so I read all the post on here and thought for sure I could get the problem fixed. So I scheduled an appointment had the wife take it in to get a flash update. Well I can say that' s approximately 600 dollars I've wasted on this thing. I can't continue dumping money into this car trying to figure out what's wrong with it. The guy was wanting me to pay 189 dollars for a diagnostic check then another 157 for update . This is unbelievable.. I will buy Dodge again. I can't believe this isn't a recall.

Has anyone called the Dodge corporation about this issue.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Make them prove it's your rims and tires (have them switch them out with a set off of one of their cars), if they can prove it, then pay them, if not ... well I think you get the idea. I know it's hard, they play mind games with you and try to make you second guess everything just to save or make a buck. The TSB is pretty straight forward, according to it, they have to perform the Road Force Balance (it shouldn't be $150, more like $75) then if that doesn't work they are suppose to perform the Flash... the TSB is designed for them to make money on their mistake... I got lucky, my dealership doesn't have a road force machine, so they just performed the flash to see if it worked first.

maybe @DodgeCACares can help?
Laguna Blue,

It may be worth having the dealer pull stock tires and rims off of another Dart on the lot to verify the concern.
Also, it's extremely important to understand that the vehicle was designed and tested with all stock equipment.
There are endless possibilities and implications the moment the vehicle is modified which is why certain warranty repairs or improvements can become N/A in certain cases.

·
Registered
3 Posts
And you are paying for free warranty work why? People need to stand up to their dealers when they start talking bs.
I hear you.. Im calling them back. Because that didn't fix the problem. This has to do the power train. Everytime I push the gas pedal down ot shakes. It doesn't do it when I coasting. I'm steaming mad ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
hey I'm actually surprised to see this because I recently bought new set of tires and rims about 18 by nine and a half and with new tires and every time I went over 70 miles an hour my will would shake like crazy so I had to bring it to dodge and I actually have them balance my wheels I went away mostly but you still feel a little bit of vibration in the wheel so I'm not sure if that's the case or what but when I put back on my stock rims for winter I'm really hoping that that goes away

·
Registered
31 Posts
did you ever get this problem addressed if so can you tell me what was wrong because I'm hoping for the same problem isn't going to happen to me because the vibration is pretty crazy just please send me a PM if anything let you find out helps you

·
Registered
545 Posts
did you ever get this problem addressed if so can you tell me what was wrong because I'm hoping for the same problem isn't going to happen to me because the vibration is pretty crazy just please send me a PM if anything let you find out helps you
Unfortunately mine hasn't :(

·
Registered
822 Posts
reposting this because it seems like we have lost track of the details:
here's the earlier posted TSB for the Electronic Steering vibration. Note: you have to have the dealer techs or manager search under electronics, not steering and drive train, or they won't be able to find it.

SUBJECT:
Flash: Steering Wheel Vibration At Highway Speeds On Smooth Road
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves road testing and updating the software in the Electric Power Steering
(EPS). If required road force balancing and match mounting the tires and wheels.
MODELS:
2013-2014 (PF) Dart
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before February 09, 2014 (MDH
0209XX)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A customer may experience a slight shimmy/shake in the steering wheel at speeds of 50 to
70 MPH (80 to 120 KPH). This is most noticeable on smooth roads. This should NOT be
mistaken for a normal tire vibration felt in the seat and steering wheel or at low speeds.
DIAGNOSIS:
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
1-RF33 Hunter GSP9700 Road Force® Diagnostic Systems or
equivalent.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Road test the vehicle at highway speeds between 50 to 70 mph to verify customer
complaint.
2. Was a vibration exhibited at the steering wheel?
a. Yes >>> Proceed to Step #3.
b. No >>> Check for updated software for the EPS module, proceed to Step #12.
3. Inspect tires and wheels for damage, mud or snow packing.
Continues… (the instructions continue on but for reading space it's abbreviated)

NUMBER: 08-041-14

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok im new to cars. Very new so bare with me. I go new black/ chrome wheels than felt a vibration doing 70 "really freakin irritated". When i took it back the employees at discount tire noticed that my stock wheels or the new ones didnt have a plastic insert that goes into the wheel before its bolted on. They said it was to stabilize the wheels at high speed. for 4 of them it was only 15 dollars and they ended up giving them to me for free. They just slipped them into the the inner ring of the wheel by hand before putting them on and i have had no vibration since. HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Weird, I have never noticed plastic flopping around anywhere on any car/motorcycle wheels that I have removed. Do you know what they call this?
He's referring to centering rings for hubs I believe. they are VERY common on generic aftermarket wheels that fit multiple vehicles with different hub sizes, they bore the hub area on the wheel bigger to accommodate a bigger hub then they add the plastic ring to make make the area smaller to fit smaller hubs more secure. Look up hub centric and lug centric wheels and also wheel centering rings you'll understand what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I took my dart into dealer today they better fix it this time. I took it in before with no results.
I had this done on one of my Darts and it fixed the 65+ mph vibration. My car was out of warranty, so it cost me $100 but it was worth it.

181 - 200 of 217 Posts