Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so as of recently, i've noticed my car vibrates on the highway when i have my foot on the gas and im doing over 70mph. Someone mentioned that it may be that i need a wheel balance, but once i take my foot off the throttle and let it coast (still doing over 70) the vibrations stop. Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Been up to 100 mph and cruise the Interstate at an ave 75 / 80 , with no vibes.

Reactions: EMount91

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had the right front tire replaced and then noticed the vibration above 70+.

Figured it was a slightly out of balance wheel and would have it checked at next service later in the month.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yup.. balancing issue. Maybe a weight was thrown off. (happened in my jeep)

That's pretty hard to do in a Dart given the weights are on the inside of the wheel - flat weights on the rim not the oldie goldie elongated crap on the outside bead that are prone to falling off.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SOLUTION FOUND: dealer said it was warped rotors. I felt the vibrations when braking, but it was the accelerating I was worried about. supposedly the pads are always touching the rotor slightly so one of the rotors was warped just enough that when cruising, no vibrations. but when the wheels had power behind them or pressure applied to them, vibrations. haven't picked it up yet though so I will confirm once I drive it. he said something about the rotors of the earlier build 2013s not being up to par (coming from the factory already warped) and the later builds actually ditched them for better ones (mine was built in dec 2012.) not sure how true this statement is, but nonetheless they fixed something instead of telling me everything was "up to factory standards".

·
Registered
256 Posts
SOLUTION FOUND: .
Good to know. After my initial post I did some testing on the highway and found that yes if I step on the gas at speed (70+) I would feel the vibration, but as soon as I lifted my foot it went away. I didn't have any on braking.

I have a checkup with the dealer on the 21st so will mention the rotors to them.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to know. After my initial post I did some testing on the highway and found that yes if I step on the gas at speed (70+) I would feel the vibration, but as soon as I lifted my foot it went away. I didn't have any on braking.

I have a checkup with the dealer on the 21st so will mention the rotors to them.
after driving it to work this morning, the acceleration vibrations are still there but not nearly as bad, so im happy. ill just assume the vibrations are my engine working extra hard (they now only happen above 75 and below 80 and only very slightly.)

on a side note... newly resurfaced rotors <3. it's like the car is brand new again!

·
Registered
256 Posts
after driving it to work this morning, the acceleration vibrations are still there but not nearly as bad, so im happy. ill just assume the vibrations are my engine working extra hard (they now only happen above 75 and below 80 and only very slightly.)

on a side note... newly resurfaced rotors <3. it's like the car is brand new again!
I wonder if there is a motor mount issues like the 1.4 had. I haven;t read up on it but I think is was a bolt issue in the mount. Wonder if some 2.0's have a similar thing.
At higher speeds there is a greater RMP for longer time so you notice it more.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
That recall (Tork rod bolt) delt with vibrations at speed. It applied to all darts built with in a specific time frame. My 2.0L was recalled for it. Though I do not recall the manufacture dates affected

·
Registered
256 Posts
That recall (Tork rod bolt) delt with vibrations at speed. It applied to all darts built with in a specific time frame. My 2.0L was recalled for it. Though I do not recall the manufacture dates affected
Thanks I will see if I can find the recall and what DOM's are affected.

I don't have an recalls for my 2.0 but doesn't mean stuff isn't whacked.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wonder if there is a motor mount issues like the 1.4 had. I haven;t read up on it but I think is was a bolt issue in the mount. Wonder if some 2.0's have a similar thing.
At higher speeds there is a greater RMP for longer time so you notice it more.
I did find a bolt rolling around under the engine above the aerodynamic under treatment... ugh. didn't seem like a very big bolt though so I don't know why that would be the cause

1 - 20 of 217 Posts