Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4 turbo
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The plan:

blow off plate>>chip>>CAI & and intercooler pipe>>aftermarket muffler/pipes.

Turbo work to start... issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Didn't blow the turbo though (I hope),

Could replacing the DV improve throttle response/acceleration?
(Back to stock)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do not do the blow off plate. It is "Yay, cool noise" but just a waste of money. Our engines like to recirculate boost, it keeps them strong and blowing off just removed that boost you had going.

I did Go faster bits DV+ (a must have in my book), IC pipes from eurocompulsion, CAI from injen, silicone vacuum lines fron eurocompulsion, and the euro+drive phase 2 tune. The difference is absolutely insane.
Hell, just the GFB DV+ is a big upgrade.

Focus on what you want from the dart, if it's power, go with the DV+ and an intake, then work on tunes. I'll be adding a catless downpipe soon as well as an FX250 clutch and delay valve delete for better drivability. But do your research, you'll find what you are looking for. This car is so much fun, and despite it's quirks it's just a blast. Have any questions feel free to massage me

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Makes sense. I am expecting injen CAI and intercooler pipe and an Eittar controller in the mail.
Thanks for the vacuum line advice! Sounds like you got a badass car!

My goal is more torque, faster acceleration. I don't necessarily want to go 120mph all the time anymore lol. I'm loving the dart!
But after the wrong plate incident, I lost boost.

Thoughts? New DV? Boost sensor?
(I did end up ordering a Code Reader)

And how's the fuel consumption with bigger intake? Was thinking of eventually getting bigger cams, jets, port n polish, etc for the more efficient burn. UNLESS you've had no issues with just the intake and IC pipe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just IC pipes and CAI with the DV+ is fine. I will eventually go for a ported throttle body, as well as the ported manifold for the turbo. The eurocompulsion tuner is where it's at for me. The chips are garbage, all they do is up boost, none really seem to play on driveability. My Phase 2 tune with just basic bolt one is insane, and for $800 couldn't be beat, especially because I can always add stuff as I go for a few bucks here and there. It's worth it to spend the money on the right places. CAI, IC pipes (the EC ones are full size all the way through, the injen ones just get rid of the old plastic and still bottle neck) the DV+ for holding boost, and adjusting your wastegate crack pressure. All are fantastic. I'm going DP next then throwing in a forge 14psi WG. After that full exhaust and I'll be done for a bit. This has been a fun car after getting rid of my SRT-4 a few years ago. Nowhere near as fast, but infinitely more liveable with my family

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice, that should add a few more horses. I'd think that without after market cams, you'd make minimal upgrades to the top end. But if the bigger intake doesn't affect fuel enough to be a problem, than further mods can wait.
I'll definately check out that tune from euro. Might have to wait a few months.. 😑

For now I need to fix my mistake lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are worried on budget, just put cams and polishing out of your head. You need to focus on smooth boost delivery. Your best bet is really to do the Go Faster Bits DV+ (both springs to hold the boost longer), intake (I have the Injen, but they all look nice) then full intercooler pipes (I am not a huge fan of the Injen ones, they still bottle neck, how much this matters? Who knows) I have the full silicone EC kit.. this right here will give you great, smooth delivery. Then tunes! I also swapped to Alfa 4C coil packs, and I was amazed at the difference on how smooth the idle was with them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks alot! Btw did you ever have an issue with a sputter from the dv plate? I read that drilling the 6 holes on the plate between 11/32-3/8 fixes that. Have you dealt with that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The plate has no holes, you're thinking of the blow-off noise making plate, you want the GFB DV+. The DV+ you disassemble and rebuilt into your stock DV. There's no sputtering. If you have boost sputter after installing then your WG pressure is set to high and you need to dial back your preload. My preload is set just a little higher than stock "0", maybe 2-3 turns from 0 for a crack pressure of 7-7.5 for the time being.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I will adjust my WG after intake and plate are installed. In thinking my next purchase to be coil packs and plugs, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Just so we are sure, this is the DV+, I know the blow off plate is tempting but it will actually degrade performance, just trying to help you make good purchases for your dart build

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the plate that I tried, and ended up killing my boost was GFB part# T9356. I'm now waiting for T9351.

I did notice the terrible blue plastic in the DV, for now I had to put it back in... I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't heard of a GFB part hurting boost unless your WGA is way to tight. If your preload is too tight it will go into over post and you need to dial it back out. Sometimes the GFB corrects whatever the reason the WGA was set tighter for and you'll need to just dial it back. I dialed it a MM at a time, sitting at about 2mm now for proper crack pressure

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't touched the wastegate, the car was great before I tried that plate. Trying a different one.
Now im lookin at recirculating valves, for next time lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I installed the Eittar controller last night (S1.4 and S2.6 seem the best settings), response is so much better. (Manual shifts are better when putting my foot down). 4-5k rpm shifts seems better than redlining every gear when slamming off the line in auto.

Should probably wait til I have the intake, IC pipe, and recirc. valve installed before I get TOOOO carried away. (And the MAXfire coil packs)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I installed short ram intake for the winter (I live in Canada lol), so awesome hearing the turbo spooling up and a MUCH louder "whistle".

So far it's only Eittar, and Injen short ram. The idle is a bit growlier as well. I'll post a video after I install the IC pipe, coil packs, and recirc. blow off valve.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Installed ngk iridium tipped spark plugs, and the madness coil packs.

Much smoother, seems a bit more of a consistent rpm. Was time for a change I guess. Hoping plugs last 100k. lol

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Installed ngk iridium tipped spark plugs, and the madness coil packs.

Much smoother, seems a bit more of a consistent rpm. Was time for a change I guess. Hoping plugs last 100k. lol
The recommended change interval for the spark plugs on the 1.4T is 48,000kms, but you'll definitely want to change them by 40,000kms, or even sooner. This engine eats spark plugs for breakfast. I assume it's because the high boost requires a much stronger spark to avoid being blown out, and this burns away the electrode faster. I've looked at other turbo engines, and the 1.4T seems to have the shortest plug change interval that I could find. It also runs higher factory boost levels than pretty much anything else.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts