Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, I've had a recurring issue. I've stalled out about 4 times over the past month. Here's the scenario. I have a 2014 2.4 Rallye manual transmission (about 20Kmiles). What has happened.... I approach a stop sign.... slow down/ downshift and BAM... she stalls out. For the next few minutes here is what I hear (pardon the expressions). I turn the key and its.... CHA CHA CHA ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ CHA CHA ZZZZZZZZZZZ CHA CHA ZZZZZZZZZZZ then after a minute or two CHA CHA CHA and she cranks up. The CHA CHA is what you normally here when starting your car... like the engine turning over.. then it stops turning and you hear zzzzzzzzz, like a buzz coming from the engine. Any ideas on this? thanks!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sounds like you should get that looked at.

Does the car have a special security system? I have a 2015 SE so mine is pretty basic. Maybe your security system is triggering something. I had an old ass Chevy long ago that would do that to me sometimes when the security system was fucking up. It stopped wanting to read the code from the key and if you tried to start it without it reading the security key code, it would shut off the fuel pump for 3 minutes. I suppose if that were the case for you, you would see a security light of some sort flashing on the dash.

Or you can go through the wiring from the alternator and the battery, etc and make sure everything is connected properly and doesn't have any open wire anywhere causing a short.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hey Everyone, I've had a recurring issue. I've stalled out about 4 times over the past month. Here's the scenario. I have a 2014 2.4 Rallye manual transmission (about 20Kmiles). What has happened.... I approach a stop sign.... slow down/ downshift and BAM... she stalls out. For the next few minutes here is what I hear (pardon the expressions). I turn the key and its.... CHA CHA CHA ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ CHA CHA ZZZZZZZZZZZ CHA CHA ZZZZZZZZZZZ then after a minute or two CHA CHA CHA and she cranks up. The CHA CHA is what you normally here when starting your car... like the engine turning over.. then it stops turning and you hear zzzzzzzzz, like a buzz coming from the engine. Any ideas on this? thanks!!
jjizhere,

I agree with bohammer in that this is something you should bring to your dealer's attention.
Based on your description, it seems to happen once a week.
Are there any particular conditions you've noted when this happens?

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Are you downshifting into 1st? because our cars hate that...

Reactions: pkgmsu2000

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 2.4 2014 automatic dart that's at 18k miles and I have had this issue at least 4 times now. The dealer did nothing!!! They replaced different parts everytime saying it's fixed but it's not!! Just got my car back last night and it stalled again this morning!! At this point I'm done, I've contacted dodge about lemon law and buying back the car. Waiting to here back from dodge. So many cars had this issue and have been bought back from dodge. Your not alone...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan on recording the event next time it happens because I am 95% sure that when I take it to the dealer, their response will be "unable to duplicate concern" and then they will tell me their computers say everything is ok. There are NO engine lights on and no error codes have come up. I have my own plug in OBD bluetooth adapter that I keep on my car and it shows no codes. It does work, when the engine light has come on its read the code and been accurate.

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
I plan on recording the event next time it happens because I am 95% sure that when I take it to the dealer, their response will be "unable to duplicate concern" and then they will tell me their computers say everything is ok. There are NO engine lights on and no error codes have come up. I have my own plug in OBD bluetooth adapter that I keep on my car and it shows no codes. It does work, when the engine light has come on its read the code and been accurate.
Did you check the oil level? Seriously, low oil levels will cause the 2.4L engine to stall (because the MultiAir system requires sufficient oil to actuate the intake valves), and excessive oil loss/consumption seems to be one of the more common complaints from 2.4L owners. It's also reasonable that after sitting for a bit the car will start again, because enough oil has drained back into the crankcase to operate the MultiAir system again.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Does it always happen on a downshift? I rarely if ever downshift with my 1.4T manual, too afraid to break something. I go into neutral until I stop, or wait til I can rev match before going back into gear.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always downshift... its natural and trust me you should do it too.... you never know when your going to need some rpm's to avoid an emergency... always have them ready.. in neutral your a sitting duck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found out this may be due to an O2 Sensor. I'll be getting back to you soon after the dealership gets back to me with the final say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts