Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill describe this as best I can. Im on my 2nd engine for my 2014 auto gt. This problem occurred under the first engine, went away for a while after I got the new engine. Now its back and worse.
What happens: From a dead stop I smoothly and linearly press down on the throttle pedal. What the car does is anything but smooth and linear. It lags, or doesn't react, then all of a sudden it comes alive and the rpms match the pedal travel. Its like the signal to accelerate is lost for a split second then comes back. Or its like the torque converter doesn't send power for a second then all of a sudden it surges. You press the pedal in further because nothing happens and then all of a sudden when youre practically flooring it, it surges and the people around you think youre trying to race. This is slightly exaggerated, im not actually near flooring it but the car just surges forward like it finally gets fuel or something. Please somebody help me diagnose this so I have some ammo when I take it to the stealership. Im going to record a video of this behavior because its very apparent and I haven't seen any posts about this yet. Also this is an intermittent random problem. Some times the car drives just like new. Sometimes it drives like the fuel line is plugged up. Happens under all weather, with/without the hvac on. Its happening more and more and I know it will happen at least once every time I drive my car. No mods except kn drop in filter. The rrm lightweight pulley isn't on anymore.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!!! I hope its that simple. any idea how much the part costs, how much labor time it takes, or if its under warranty?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Thank you!!! I hope its that simple. any idea how much the part costs, how much labor time it takes, or if its under warranty?
Nope. I'm taking an educated guess. But it seems viable. This is a drive-by-wire system. Any further research is on you. Good place to start though.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I have the same issue, it's super "herky jerky" from a dead stop or in traffic... not only is it annoying and unsafe but it ends up sucking down a lot of gas...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the same issue. Its like I just learned to drive with a clutch, but the car is automatic!
Interested to see if someone comes up with a solution.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just talked to the dealership. My extended warranty will not cover the repair unless theres a fault code. You have to replace the whole throttle body to change the sensor which is about $290 +labor. The frustrating thing is that theres definitely something wrong with it but its not throwing any codes. Has anybody actually done this repair and could vouch for it actually eliminating the problem? Im not about to throw over $300 away just to find out its something else thats broken.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
I just talked to the dealership. My extended warranty will not cover the repair unless theres a fault code. You have to replace the whole throttle body to change the sensor which is about $290 +labor. The frustrating thing is that theres definitely something wrong with it but its not throwing any codes. Has anybody actually done this repair and could vouch for it actually eliminating the problem? Im not about to throw over $300 away just to find out its something else thats broken.
Does this issue happen constantly? or only when you first start the car?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It happens intermittently. almost always from a dead stop, or light rolling stop. It never happens while cruising. It happens pretty much evertime I drive the car at least once, somedays its like every red light this happens. It seems to be like the lower end of the throttle/rpm position. For instance if I intend to put my rpms at 2500, itll do 1000 rpm for a moment and then surge to like 3000 rpm. so if the throttle has a range of motion of 1-100 it seems to happen around the 1-30 mark only. It does this whether the car is warmed up or not.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
It happens intermittently. almost always from a dead stop, or light rolling stop. It never happens while cruising. It happens pretty much evertime I drive the car at least once, somedays its like every red light this happens. It seems to be like the lower end of the throttle/rpm position. For instance if I intend to put my rpms at 2500, itll do 1000 rpm for a moment and then surge to like 3000 rpm. so if the throttle has a range of motion of 1-100 it seems to happen around the 1-30 mark only.
hmmm.... does this happen when the car has been running for a longer period of time? (when its warm) Also, as a question to everyone... are any of the dart's transmissions CVT?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dart has 3 transmission options. 6spd manual, 6spd DDCT, 6spd Powertech auto. Mine is the powertech. there are no cvt's for the dart. This happens whether the car is warmed up or not.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
The dart has 3 transmission options. 6spd manual, 6spd DDCT, 6spd Powertech auto. Mine is the powertech. there are no cvt's for the dart. This happens whether the car is warmed up or not.
Ok, I didn't know if the powertech was cvt or not. I know that sounds like an identical issue I have with my fiances altima... the cvts have a learning process that gets confused when you change the way it's driven. What I mean by that is if the car is used to a certain pedal depression and length of time pushed and then a different depression and length of time pushed is changed quickly the system gets confused. When I get in her car and drive sometimes the throttle will rev really high when I press the pedal. And sometimes I can press it to the floor and it would him around 2500rpm then kick.

I was originally thinking that you werent letting your car warm up properly before you drive it. But as you said it does it whether it's warm or cold then that rules that out... I would recommend disconnecting your throttle body at the electrical plug and let it sit. Then reattach it and start the car... the ecu has a throttle body position learning process that it goes through to reset the throttle body. It did it for me when I disconnected mine when attaching my spacer for my boost gauge.

I do have the 1.4 but it's drive by wire as well, so the learning process should be the same!

Sent using a rotary phone

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I've got an appointment with the dealer this Saturday for them to look into this (and a few other issues). I'll report back afterwards.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't inspected the plugs yet but the engine is less than 1 year old with less than 25000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
I haven't inspected the plugs yet but the engine is less than 1 year old with less than 25000 miles on it.
Thats still pretty close to the changing point for spark plugs... Owners manual recommends 30k miles for a plug change. But depending on your driving style could be less...

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
Thats still pretty close to the changing point for spark plugs... Owners manual recommends 30k miles for a plug change. But depending on your driving style could be less...
@scottyp9 has a 2.4 GT as shown in his "vehicle description". He wouldn't need to change the stock OEM irdiums for another 75K since this is the 2.4L NA engine.

sspark.JPG
@Exitus04, your train of thought is good, but in the wrong direction

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
@scottyp9 has a 2.4 GT as shown in his "vehicle description". He wouldn't need to change the stock OEM irdiums for another 75K since this is the 2.4L NA engine.

I changed the plugs on my 2.4 at 22k... they were horribly misgapped and were covered in buildup. So it still might be worth checking out. However, I have an issue that seems to be the same as the OP and, at least in my situation, is not caused by plug issues.

Reactions: youngsmith53

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts

LOL my bad guys! I thought this was on the turbo section... Nevermind my original plug comment!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts