Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I believe I need my plugs changed. I’ve called a few places and they charge quite a bit. I live in the Chicago area and wondering if anyone knows a place where I can get them changed for a decent price; maybe less than $200. Money is tight right now. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
Buy a set of sockets and ratchet wrench. Do it yourself. There are you tubes.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I’m afraid to screw it ip. I’m worried about stripping the the threads
I'd be more concerned with trusting a shop to do this job. I'd say that changing spark plugs is easier than changing your own oil. Literally takes 15 minutes start to finish. I have never used a torque wrench for spark plugs. I go hand tight until snug, then 1/4 turn more with the wrench.

Save your money and give it a shot yourself!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to a shop this time. Maybe next time I’ll feel life confident. I’m definitely not mechanically inclined. Thanks to all for the encouragement

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
Visit a self serve junkyard and give yourself some practice. You'll be kicking yourself for ever paying someone to do it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I am kicking myself. I took it to the shop and now my CEL is on; I barely made it from the shop. My codes are fuel injection coil I think, so I don’t know if it was damaged already or if they damaged it. Now I have to find another mechanic to fix this issue. I’m so screwed.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Well, I am kicking myself. I took it to the shop and now my CEL is on; I barely made it from the shop. My codes are fuel injection coil I think, so I don’t know if it was damaged already or if they damaged it. Now I have to find another mechanic to fix this issue. I’m so screwed.
Give us the actual code. Most people unplug the battery when doing spark plugs. Unplugging the battery will always generate a CEL and will go away on it's own after 50 or so miles.

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
That is s spark misfire in cylinder 2. Not an injector.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cylinder 2 misfire....probably didn't get the boot down on the plug good would be my guess. I would normally say to check it yourself but since you paid for a job to be done I'd start by calling them and letting them make it right. Super easy to do yourself though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I see. Ok...well should I drive it to the shop? I’m so scared to damage it. It’s going to be a slow ride and probably will take 30mins or so to get there.

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
Is the check engine light blinking? If so you should not be driving it. Fuel is getting into the cylinder, not burning, and washing down the cylinder walls.
If it isn't blinking, it's intermittent and probably ok to drive a short distance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its not blinking. I just called the shop and they are giving me a hard time now so I’m going to drive it over slowly via side streets and hope for the best. Thanks for all the advice. I always appreciate it. If you’re ever in Chicago let me know, I owe you a free meal! Probably not a good one but I owe you one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So I checked the codes and it’s a p0301 and a p2302. I know the first one is misfire. Is the second one ignition coil? Could the coil have been bad before the change?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok here is my dilemma. I’m getting 2 codes on the car. P0301 and P2302. The shop is already giving me a hard time about bringing it back. I think if I take it back they will now say my ignition coil is bad and what’s causing the issue. But how do I know if it was an issue before they changed the plugs or if they damaged it during the change? Any suggestions would be great. Also since I probably can’t damage it anymore is it possible for me to do anything? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
The p0301 is a cylinder 1 misfire.
The other code is :
28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) / Diagnosis and Testing

P2302-IGNITION COIL 1 SECONDARY CIRCUIT - INSUFFICIENT IONIZATION

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•With the engine running.
•Battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the secondary ignition burn time is incorrect, too short or not present.

Default Actions:

•The MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

FUSED ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
COIL 1 CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
COIL 1 CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
COIL ON PLUG
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Sometime the coil can be difficult to remove from the plug and it is possible too much force could have damaged the coil.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh! I see... I can just bet they will deny any wrongdoing on their part and I’ll have to pay for an ignition coil. This is beginning to be annoying. Is it cylinder 1 coil that’s possibly damaged? Since that’s the misfire

1 - 20 of 34 Posts