Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2013 SXT 2.0 and need to change the spark plugs. I never do my own upkeep but lately I have been dabbling into it with help from YouTube. I want to know if anyone has a detailed tutorial for beginners? Should I attempt it or just have a mechanic do it? Any help? Please? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
By all means, do it yourself. It's about the easiest thing to do next to changing the oil. The FSM instructions are below. You do not need to disconnect the battery. You should check spark plug gaps on the new plugs.

09 - Engine, 2.0L DOHC / Air Intake System / RESONATOR, Air Cleaner / Removal

REMOVAL

1.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

2.Disconnect the electrical connector (1) from the Inlet Air Temperature (IAT) sensor.

3.Loosen the throttle body clamp (2).

4.Loosen the clamp (2) and remove the air inlet hose from the resonator (1).

5.Pull the resonator (1) straight up off of the four locating pins on the cylinder head cover. Disengage and remove the resonator from the throttle body inlet.

08 - Electrical / 8I - Ignition Control / Ignition Control / SPARK PLUG / Removal

2.0, 2.4L

NOTE: Typical

NOTE:
Prior to removing coil, spray compressed air around coil top to make sure no dirt drops into the spark plug tube.

1.Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2.Disconnect the electrical connectors from ignition coils.

3.Remove the ignition coil mounting bolt.

4.Twist the ignition coil then pull straight up.

NOTE:
Prior to loosening the spark plug, use compressed air to blow out any debris that might be in the spark plug tube.

5.Remove the spark plug using a quality socket with a rubber or foam insert.

6.Inspect the spark plug condition.

08 - Electrical / 8I - Ignition Control / Ignition Control / SPARK PLUG / Installation

2.0/2.4L

CAUTION:
Handle the spark plugs with care. Do not drop or force the spark plugs into the wells, damage to the electrodes and/or porcelain body may occur. Always start each spark plug by hand in order to avoid cross-threading the spark plug in the cylinder head.

Always tighten spark plugs to the specified torque. Too much or not enough torque will cause damage to the cylinder head and/or spark plug and may lead to poor engine performance.

NOTE: Typical

1.Install each spark plug to the cylinder head. Tighten spark plugs to 27 N·m (20 ft. lbs.).

2.Install ignition coil onto spark plug.

3.Install ignition coil mounting bolt. Tighten to 9 N·m (79.5 in. lbs.).

4.Connect ignition coil electrical connectors.

5.Connect the negative battery cable.

09 - Engine, 2.0L DOHC / Air Intake System / RESONATOR, Air Cleaner / Installation

INSTALLATION

1.Lubricate the four rubber mount sockets on the resonator with Mopar® Rubber Bushing Installation Lube.

2.Install the resonator to the throttle body inlet. Push the resonator down onto the four locating pins on the cylinder head cover until the rubber mount sockets are fully seated.

3.Install the air inlet hose to the resonator (1) and tighten the clamp (2) to 4 N·m (35 in. lbs.).

4.Tighten the throttle body clamp (2) to 4 N·m (35 in. lbs.).

5.Connect the electrical connector (1) to the Inlet Air Temperature (IAT) sensor.

6.Connect the negative battery cable and tighten nut to 5 N·m (45 in. lbs.).

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
On some engines, the layout of the spark plugs may be hard to reach or may require removal of many other components in the way. On the Dart they are right in front on top so it's incredibly easy to change the spark plugs. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes of your time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts