Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought i read something claiming copper spark plugs help with throttle response on the 2.4l

Is this true? Is there a reason they help more then platinum? Or anyother kind?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I thought i read something claiming copper spark plugs help with throttle response on the 2.4l

I guess they burn hotter. Better ignition maybe? But I've heard you have to swap them out more frequently. Never tried them on my 1.4 but I've heard a little bit about them from some other members

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Copper is a better conductor of electricity, but it’s got a lower melting point. So as they run hot in today’s higher compression engines, they’re wear and lose their shape and gap faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

Please refer to this build thread, scroll down to the spark plug section and then you can click on any of the links provided. It has been discussed in great detail.
https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-builds/14611-youngsmith53-aya-build-thread.html

Switching to copper plugs is night and day difference compared to the OEM plugs. You will ask yourself why you didn't change them sooner? Sure they will not last as long but considering they are 1/4 the price of the iridium's and changing sparks literally takes 10 minutes of your time, there is no reason to keep the OEM plugs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Please refer to this build thread, scroll down to the spark plug section and then you can click on any of the links provided. It has been discussed in great detail.
https://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/dodge-dart-builds/14611-youngsmith53-aya-build-thread.html

Switching to copper plugs is night and day difference compared to the OEM plugs. You will ask yourself why you didn't change them sooner? Sure they will not last as long but considering they are 1/4 the price of the iridium's and changing sparks literally takes 10 minutes of your time, there is no reason to keep the OEM plugs.
Lets talk some pros and cons. Only reason I haven't tried copper plugs is because it seems too good to be true. We know there are some positives but what sort of negatives and potential issues could pop up? For me, changing my plugs more often doesn't qualify as a " bad thing". But pistons shooting through my hood would (only recognizing the other end of the spectrum not saying that will definitely happen).

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I keep hearing people say that, but I switched to copper plugs in my 2.4L and my carefully-calibrated butt dyno couldn't detect any difference.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Lets talk some pros and cons. Only reason I haven't tried copper plugs is because it seems too good to be true. We know there are some positives but what sort of negatives and potential issues could pop up? For me, changing my plugs more often doesn't qualify as a " bad thing". But pistons shooting through my hood would (only recognizing the other end of the spectrum not saying that will definitely happen).

Don't change to copper plugs on a 1.4.

·
Registered
246 Posts
At the 30,000 mile mark, I went from the OEM plugs to the recommended coppers in my 2015 2.4L GT. I had been having these very minor issues where at idle speeds, as soon as I breathed lightly on the throttle peddle, the car would try to act as if I had pressed it in 3/4 of the way... Over exaggerated, sure, but still, the car would jolt forward trying to get from 0 to 15 instantly. So I wasn't sure what to expect when I switched plugs, and other than that low speed idle to 15 mph issue, the car ran fine and I had no real concerns with the ignition system.

So I put in my copper plug. Car started and ran great, no issues. Also, for the first 25 to 30 minuets of driving, the car had a smooth throttle operation! I was beyond happy about this. It felt to me as if I had fixed something that had really bothered me about the car, and I was excited about the car again.

After the first trip with the new plugs in the car, I drove it again the next day.... Back to the exact same way it was before. It's like the ECU figured out the new plugs and realized quickly how to go back to that stupid annoying throttle response again. I think it's probably the ECU programming itself, but it's these little things that really bug me about this car.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
After the first trip with the new plugs in the car, I drove it again the next day.... Back to the exact same way it was before. It's like the ECU figured out the new plugs and realized quickly how to go back to that stupid annoying throttle response again. I think it's probably the ECU programming itself, but it's these little things that really bug me about this car.
I guess you didn't realize the Dart's ECU is specifically programmed to give you a horrible driving experience and punish you for not buying a Charger or Challenger instead.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I guess you didn't realize the Dart's ECU is specifically programmed to give you a horrible driving experience and punish you for not buying a Charger or Challenger instead.
Ah, but I do own a Charger! Granted it's a 2006 model, but it's my Daytona, and this is my daily :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
Beitie
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing