Registered
2013 Rallye 1.4L turbo DDCT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent activities prior to car failure today:

10/15/2020
- Neutral safety switched replaced by Aamco Transmissions

10/20/2020 - within 50 miles of Aamco work

The car was driving better than ever (no more rumble due to failed motor mount) since I got it 6 months ago.

This afternoon, my son went for a short drive and called me to report the car had died while driving and he was able to pull to the side of the road. The car would crank, but no ignition as though it had no spark, compression, or fuel. Fuel was recently filled up with 91 octane and I added a bottle of fuel injector cleaner for good measure due to previous misfire error code that had cleared since Aamco work was done.

No check engine light
No codes found with OBDLink scan app that came with the MX+ Bluetooth scanner.
Many attempts to start the engine where it almost started but wouldn’t fully start.
Towed it home.
Attempted to start it upon arrival and it turned over but made some horrible sounds so I immediately turned it off.

I pulled all spark plugs and cylinders 1, 3, and 4 look normal.
Cylinder 2 has a history of misfire. When I pulled the plug and looked at the tip, I saw what looked like a smashed end where the gap was absent as though the tip had crashed into the piston head or something.

This photo shows a “good” plug with gap compared to my crushed plug from cylinder 2

From what I’ve researched this could mean many things. Perhaps a jumped timing belt? Or something else.

I’m at a loss. Just when I thought my car worries were done with the work I’d done recently and previously (valve cover gasket, tube seals, Pcv oring due to oil in tubes, spark plug replacement, etc)

I try to DIY, but I’m over my head on this. Each new issue makes me considercutting my losses and junking this thing. I love it, but I hate it.

Thoughts?

current mileage: 123252

I’ve only driver this 3800 miles since I bought it.

possible next steps:
  • buy alfaobd and check for more in depth info/codes not visible to OBDLink app (I’m an iPhone user, but have an Amazon kindle with alfaobd demo installed)
  • compression test each cylinder (buy a tool first)
  • inspect cylinder 2 internal for signs of damage
  • inspect timing belt (spotted some signs of minor cracking when I was doing the valve cover gasket)
  • get rid of the car as I just don’t want to keep going with repairs (even though I’m enjoying the time with my son working on it)
  • tow it to a real mechanic and have them diagnose it, pay for repairs, then sell it

That spark plug really has me worried along with the failure to start and the terrible sound it made when it finally got home and started very briefly before I turned it off.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
A timing belt problem would bend valves, not a spark plug end.

·
Registered
2013 Rallye 1.4L turbo DDCT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally made time to have my dart towed to a mechanic to investigate my crushed spark plug and failure to start. I’ve been pricing used engines and looks like the 1.4l is $1500 and up. Then there is the list of other parts needed at the time of swap out to manage. Sure hope this is all worth it. I have really liked having this car despite the issues.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sounds like a piston let go and was stopped by the spark plug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts