Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Has anyone purchased a Mopar spare tire kit, part #82213092AB from an online vendor? My 2014 GT came with the inflator thingie and I prefer a spare tire. There are several sources for these and vastly different pricing, so I was wondering if anybody bought one and can recommend the seller.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
@Coyote -

Mopar part # 82213092AB is actually the number for the "Dodge Dart Side Skirts" ... the "Dodge Dart Spare Tire Kit" is Mopar part # 82212849.

Purchasing this spare tire kit from an online vendor may not be the least expensive method ... The shipping costs of this heavy / bulky item may negate the discounted price from the Internet vendor.

You neglected to tell us where you are located (i.e., it's not in your intro post and you have yet to update your user profile) ... but if you live near any of these Text Font Mode of transport Automotive lighting Graphics
Supporting Vendors:

... then get a quote from them ... otherwise, I would suggest that you just walk into your nearest CJDR dealership and ask the Parts Department for their best price on the spare tire kit:

Reactions: cereal killer

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and sorry for the error. The correct part # is 82212849. I was looking at the part number for the side skirts and typed that in by mistake. Damn! I should know better. I was in the auto parts business. Anyway, as is sometimes the case, online vendors may have better prices than the dealers, even if the the dealership is running the online operation. The online store can be a warehouse with sales people sitting in cubicles in front of computer terminals. They often make quantity purchases and sell cheap and may have free or reduced rate shipping. You can't get the good price if you walk into the dealer.

My local SoCal dealer retails the kit for $295.00. Funny thing is I looked at a window sticker that had the compact spare option and it was $350.00.

Just thought someone may have had experience with an online purchase.

This forum thing is all new to me. I will update my info.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
@Coyote -

If your CJDR dealership is anything like mine, you will start receiving "Service Coupons" in your mailbox (snail mail & e-mail) ... and these marketing mail-outs typically include a coupon similar to this one:

Vehicle Car Transport Honda element Car dealership

Using such a coupon at your local dealership's parts counter would bring the $295.00 list price of the MOPAR #82212849 "Dodge Dart Spare Tire Kit" down to $250.75 ... "installed in your hand" (i.e., no shipping costs).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Had my Jeep Cherokee serviced at the dealer a few times. Forgot about the coupons. Will be on the lookout for those.

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
Does anyone know what the largest size spare that fits in the spare tire area? maybe something bigger then a bike tire? i mean if it fits the weight isnt going to be that much diffrent and the piece of mind to not rely on a air pump with fix a flat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about checking at a junk or salvage yard for a spare tire? Probably can get a jack as well for low cost. Just bought a 2015 GT and see the hokey pump and tire repair kit so looking into a cheap compact spare to get me to a service station. $250 and up is nuts for a spare - size is the same as typical correct?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just got mine. ordered from amazon, $285 for the tire, jack, lug wrench and mounting hardware. yes it's a little pricey, but at least I know it's all correct and won't be rattling around on me back there.

·
Registered
299 Posts
From the looks of the spare tire area, it would seem there is enough room for a full size spare, When I replace my wheels I might see about getting 5 and use that as spare so if I ever have a tire blow and I can swap it out and not have to worry about looking silly driving on the donut.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just got mine. ordered from amazon, $285 for the tire, jack, lug wrench and mounting hardware. yes it's a little pricey, but at least I know it's all correct and won't be rattling around on me back there.
WTF? Are these gold plated? You can get a donut tire for $10 at the junkyard, $5 for the jack and wrench. Then I see on Ebay a used donut sold for $150? What's so special about these parts? Now I got to look in the trunk of my parts car and see if the tire and tools are there. Cha ching!

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
Nothing 'special' about them. Different people have different opinions on what they should roll with. Some are just fine with a fix a flat can and air compressor and others carry that in addition to plug set and spare tire. Im sure if you have the full doughnut with everything that you can find a member to buy it here. Shipping for those things though are expensive.

·
Registered
360 Posts
WTF? Are these gold plated? You can get a donut tire for $10 at the junkyard, $5 for the jack and wrench. Then I see on Ebay a used donut sold for $150? What's so special about these parts? Now I got to look in the trunk of my parts car and see if the tire and tools are there. Cha ching!
as @Bullfrog mentioned, to each their own. I would rather spend a few extra bucks and have the piece of mind that I have the right size spare tire, right bolt pattern rim, and have it look and fit right where it's supposed to be. Yes, I could have spent a LOT more time researching and calling the local junkyards (which I don't have many around me) in hopes of finding the right stuff to save a LOT of money. I look at it as cost vs effort. I paid more, but with no headache or hassle.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The idea behind using the compressor and fix-a-flat is all about saving weight for max fuel mileage. I'm not a fan of the "mobility kit" as Hyundai calls them. I much rather have a donut for better peace of mind. A full size tire should fit where the donut is at but I wouldn't expect it to mount just like the donut does though. I personally feel selling a donut and having the compressor and fix-a-flat is a bigger risk then it's worth. I've heard of people getting a flat on the highway, use the compressor to get some air in the tire then use the fix-a-flat junk only to have the stuff not seal the hole and still be stranded on the highway. I've seen it at least a dozen times in my 7 months as a tech.

I'm glad my Dart has a donut and no, it's not for sale. lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
I cant believe the cost of these, espescially here in canada, when we bought the car i asked at the dealer and they said it would be $429+tax.......so then I looked at the kits online ..and yeah luckily for my I live on the boarder to detroit, so I could have went that route, but instead I searched the local junkyard websites and came up with a couple.

yard here wanted $90cdn for the tire and belive it or not....another $80 for the jack and wrench.
so I looked at crossing over to a junkyard in michigan, and sure enough found one, 5 mins down the road....$75 for the whole deal, tire/jack/wrench......right out of a 2013 Dart.

from what I have been seeing it looks like the 2013's came with the spare tires, so search the yards for them, after that it looks like it went optional with the aero packages showing up.

as a side note....used the air pump finally.....to add some air to the spare tire..haha......nice little pump actually....so now we are riding with both in the trunk.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This. Find a donut that holds air and correct bolt pattern. Old single end lug wrench and basic X (or bottle) jack should also be very cheap. $150-$250 for a new donut is crazy. I just bought 2 new tires for the front for $150 installed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.