Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Premium 6 speaker audio system upgrades I go very deep into aftermarket audio systems, with a professional sales and installation background and a specialty in sound quality system design and calibration. For this vehicle I decided to keep the factory radio and use the aux input. 99% of my music comes from Tidal off a Samsung phone. I miss Bluetooth and the car needs a backup camera, but there are aftermarket solutions that don't require a new radio.

The bass and treble are quite badly lacking on this factory trim level. From my previous completed audio system in a 2001 Saturn I transferred over a pair of CDT Audio Beryllium tweeters and a 12" Audiofrog GS12D4 subwoofer.

Stage 1 of the audio upgrades retains the following:
- radio
- dash speakers
- front door speakers
- rear door speakers are faded out

Signal management:
- AudioControl LC2i Pro
factory audio signal was taken from the kick panels where the wires branch off to enter the doors
- CDT Audio DSP 4.8 amplifier with laptop programmable 8-channel digital signal processor

Amplifiers: - 2 channels of Class AB power from DSP 4.8 for the new pair of tweeters
- Sony XM-GS4 Class AB 4-channel x 2
1 GS4 is bridged to separately power each coil of the 12" subwoofer
1 GS4 powers the front door 6x9 woofers and the 2 left and right dash speakers

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stage 2
The midrange speakers are critical for a neutral and clear or natural mobile audio system. Dodge late model vehicles have a huge number of aftermarket upgrades available, and many of them drop right into the dash left and right locations. I'm going with one of the best true midrange speakers: Audiofrog GB25. They will be installed into the speaker cover instead of under the cover for the least obstructed path.

The front door woofers will be replaced with Audiofrog GS690. The usual trimming for clearance of the magnets will be done.

I'm strongly considered Kicker IQ500.1 for the subwoofer. I don't need more DSP control but I like the option to adjust the bass parametric EQ from the remote knob. The matching Sony XM-GS100 bass amplifier has no option for a remote so I'm giving that a pass.

Acoustic treatments will be handled with Resonix products. I expect the doors to vibrate and resonate quite a lot. I'll apply vibration damping mat and closed cell foam.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

This is a 1/3 octave RTA measurement. As noted, the system has an aftermarket subwoofer and tweeters added. Important points:
  • The stock front 6x9 woofers and dash speakers are both connected to the same 4-channel amplifier. The gain / level controls were set the same for these 4 speakers at the time of the measurement.
  • With this level setup the vocals were difficult to understand. Instruments did not sound right. It was obvious the midrange was not "right". The treble was fine and the bass was pretty good, in spite of that dip centered at 70 Hz.
  • The tweeters are powered by the DSP amplifier. With the 6 Ohm nominal impedance they're getting maybe 20W RMS.
  • The red line is a target curve. It's not what I like for daily use but it's critical to have a target when adjusting a system.
  • The solution to that huge wide dip centered at 1 kHz was to raise the gain on the dash speakers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts