Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2013 2.0L SE auto, ~110k

I changed the spark plugs a few weeks ago and had some extraneous fluids on top of the valve cover, outside the wells (as pictured, though I've cleaned them up some). Figured it wasn't an issue. Today I was switching my coils and now there is some residue and fluid inside my spark plug wells too. The car is running smoothly and without issue.

Is this oil? Any advice is appreciated. Please see the pics I've attached.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,873 Posts
Looks like oil. There are seals for the spark plug tube wells. Should be part of a valve cover gasket kit. Search.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like oil. There are seals for the spark plug tube wells. Should be part of a valve cover gasket kit. Search.
Wow, search you say? Never heard of it.

12 hours before posting this, I searched, found an old thread that you mentioned the seals on, saw it was for a turbo, and thought it would be prudent to ask since I have a 2.0L. The rest of my search turned up doomsday prophecies about the end of my engine. Since it has been running without any hiccups, I thought there could be other possibilities.

Would you care to think before answering? Got any info that I would find, you know, useful?

·
Super Moderator
4,873 Posts
The 2.0 also has spark plug tube seals and I'm sure I've posted about replacing the valve cover gasket and tube seals. I'm away from home until Sunday. I'll post instructions again then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm betting that doing a gasket kit is just outside of my abilities so I'm going to see the mechanic on this one. At least I know what has to be done.

·
Super Moderator
4,873 Posts
09 - Engine, 2.0L DOHC / Cylinder Head / COVER(S), Cylinder Head / Removal

REMOVAL

1.Remove the engine cover.

2.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

3.Remove the make up air hose from the cylinder head cover fitting.

4.Remove the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose.

5.Disconnect and remove the ignition coils (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8I - Ignition Control/COIL, Ignition - Removal) .

6.Use compressed air to blow dirt and debris off of the cylinder head cover prior to removal.

7.Unplug the intake and exhaust VVT solenoid connectors.

8.Remove the push pins that secure the coil harness to the cover.

NOTE: If any of the push pins break off in the cover, use a pick to rotate the lodged portion counterclockwise to back the portion out of the hole.

9.Loosen twelve cylinder head cover mounting bolts (2) and six stud bolts (1).

10.Remove the cylinder head cover from the cylinder head.

NOTE: With the help of an assistant, hold the coil harness up and spread open as the cover is removed through the area between the left and right harness runs.

11.Remove and discard the cylinder head cover gaskets (1 and 2).

12.Remove all residual sealant (1 and 2) from the cylinder head, timing chain cover, rear exhaust camshaft bearing cap and cylinder head cover mating surfaces (Refer to 09 - Engine - Standard Procedure) .

09 - Engine, 2.0L DOHC / Cylinder Head / COVER(S), Cylinder Head / Installation

INSTALLATION

1. Install new cylinder head cover gaskets (1 and 2).

NOTE:
When using RTV, the sealing surfaces must be clean and free from grease and oil.

NOTE:
When using RTV, components should be assembled within 10 minutes and tighten to specification within 45 minutes.

2.Apply a 2 to 3 mm wide bead of Mopar® engine sealant RTV or equivalent to the cylinder head/front cover T-joint (1) and the rear exhaust camshaft bearing cap/cylinder head T-joint (2).

3. Install the cylinder head cover to the cylinder head with twelve bolts (2) and six stud bolts (1). Tighten all eighteen fasteners to 10 N·m (90 in. lbs.).

4.Install the cylinder cover ground strap and nut. Tighten the nut to 10 N·m (90 in. lbs.)

5.Install and connect the ignition coils (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8I - Ignition Control/COIL, Ignition - Installation) .

6.If removed, install the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve and tighten to 4 N·m (37 in. lbs.).

NOTE: Make sure the O-ring is seated on the shoulder of the opening prior to reading the torque.

7.Connect the PCV hose to the PCV valve.

8.Connect the make up air hose.

9.Connect the negative battery cable and tighten nut to 5 N·m (45 in. lbs.).

10.Install the engine cover.

Reactions: brucetastic

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wow, search you say? Never heard of it.

12 hours before posting this, I searched, found an old thread that you mentioned the seals on, saw it was for a turbo, and thought it would be prudent to ask since I have a 2.0L. The rest of my search turned up doomsday prophecies about the end of my engine. Since it has been running without any hiccups, I thought there could be other possibilities.

Would you care to think before answering? Got any info that I would find, you know, useful?
He did think before answering. I found it in 10 seconds.
Grow up or go somewhere else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts