Dodge Dart Forum banner

snow and slippery weather

7K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  Old Dart 
#1 ·
How do they drive in bad weather conditions please tell all!!

#2 ·
I have only driven mine in rain soaked roads last week during Sandy and Compared to the 08 Civic I had before I think this car is gonna be great in the snow. No hydroplaning at all and a real solid feel even going 65-70. in The same conditions with the Honda I would of never approached much more than 60 and would of been hydroplaining all over the place. I was rally impressed, and this has traction control to boot.

#3 ·
I think its a little too early to tell how its going to drive in wintery conditions. I don't believe anyone has encountered any major wintery conditions.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#7 ·
Make sure your tires are filled and it will be a great car in rain/snow. I can tell it will be :D It's a heavier car which helps as well. The traction control helped me not fishtail once in the rain (accelerated by accident in a turn when I didn't realize the ground was still wet). It immidetely put me right back in place. Also, keep in mind my tire pressure is around 29 each where 32-33 is what is reccomended. When it gets to 27 or 28 I refill them.

When my tires were a normal pressure when I got the car, it litteraly glided across the street on the rain. As any car go easy on the accelerator, break early, provide greater following distances. The Dart will do very well in snow I'm sure! I know I'm going to drive like a turtle this winter haha

#11 ·
Had some flurries today, but nothing major.. We will see how these factory All-Seasons do, hoping well. If so, Ill keep them for winter specific until I need new tires then ill replace them with winters.

But when spring rolls around, I plan on putting a good performance tire on - Hankook Ventus V12 EVOs :)

#14 ·
We got about 5"+ of snow between yesterday and last night, this morning it's been freezing rain and sleet and I am very happy with how well the Dart handled in the snow, ice and flooded slushy roads. I was very concerned because I have had Jeeps and trucks for the last several years and I live on a dirt private street that is not well maintained at all. I added some air to the tires yesterday just because they've been running low since it's been colder. I only had one corner I started to slide a bit on but as soon as I let off the gas it was fine. Traction control kicked in when I was heading into that corner from second to third but it was very minor regrip. It felt stable and solid even through the flooded slush. And the citrus peel against the white snow everywhere is awesome ;-) I love it!

#17 ·
Great ad. Chrysler has a great advertisement group.
I got to the bus stop a bit early this afternoon and it happens to be a big parking lot full of snow. I tried to slip and slide and couldn't but it sure was fun trying! Besides clearance which I knew I was giving up anyway, I give it a huge thumbs up.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Compact car

#18 ·
Great ad. Chrysler has a great advertisement group.
I got to the bus stop a bit early this afternoon and it happens to be a big parking lot full of snow. I tried to slip and slide and couldn't but it sure was fun trying! Besides clearance which I knew I was giving up anyway, I give it a huge thumbs up.

View attachment 3631
The more I see your car, the more I like that color.

#19 ·
After getting the Nor'Easter and being a bit worried about driving, I can say that this car is a champ. I've never actually driven a FWD in the winter... Every time winter has come, I've had an AWD vehicle except when I was 17 I had a Firebird (no chain, no studs, just pure drifting fun!!). I was really concerned because I was at UConn and they canceled classes after 5... my lab took us til 7 but started at 5. There was about 3-5 inches accumulated by then and my drive is mostly down hill to home, and one hill is very long and steep. Once I got moving, the car was pretty awesome! I only slid when I did so intentionally... I obviously let common sense prevail, and drove appropriately for the conditions but I was expecting much worse!

In my Audi, I would gun it to like 60 uphill no problem (AWD<3), I would expect that this car would just slip and go NO where but to my surprise it actually kicked in the traction control when I tested it out and brought me from 5 to 30mph quickly and safely. Makes me feel a wholleee lot more comfortable with this car, especially living in New England (the only place you get an earthquake one week, a hurricane/super storm the next, and then a blizzard/noreaster the following!!)

#22 ·
thanks for the report! i've been waiting to hear how well they do in the snow. i'll be picking mine up next week and just in time before the flurries start to fly in Pittsburgh!

#20 ·
I must agree that this car handled wonderfully throughout the nor'easter.

And Hey Jordan, I am at Papas Dodge in New Britain right now. Just got all 4 of the splash guards for $99. Although my goal was to have them on before the first snow of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using DodgeDart - Red RallyE 1.4T 6speed manual

#28 ·
Man I am really sorry for all you snow goers. Its a beautiful day here in the Midwest. Sunny and 65 with a nice mile breeze.

Reactions: undfeatable
#32 ·
I was pretty impressed. I would also recommend to anyone that they get their tires siped. this made a pretty good amount of difference in the way the car handled on dry roads, and makes a huge difference in rain and snow conditions. I've had it done on the two different durango's I've owned and the 2 different Ram 1500's. I wont own a vehicle that doesnt have the tires siped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.