Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a the 1.4 DDCT, with 6423 miles on it. I was stuck in traffic yesterday on my drive home from work, dead stop mostly for about 3hrs due to heavy rain and car accidents. I had long periods of idling (20-30mins) with the a/c and heater off. Since it was raining and cold outside the temperature outside according to Uconnect was about 59 degrees.

At first the car started shaking pretty bad, then smoke came out from underneath the front of the car/ hood. The smell also enter into the cabin of my car, which smelt like burning electrical wires or rubber. I experienced some surging and roughness under light acceleration as well. The smokes stops coming out after a few minutes, but as soon as I'm stuck idling again the burning electrical smells fills the cabin up. The car drives normal, but acts up as soon as i'm idling for more than a few minutes.

I took the car into the dealership this morning and they finally gave me a call back earlier and said that they couldn't diagnose and fix the problem. They acknowledge that they did smell something burning, however they could not find the source. The service manager informed me that they put a call into Chrysler to see how they should proceed. So unfortunately they needed to hold the car overnight until they get some feedback from Chrysler. I'll post some updates as soon as I find out. I appreciate any feedback, thanks for reading.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Make certain that they clear that vehicle for safe and proper operation before you accept it. Potentially hazardous situation IMHO.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Search the forums, this is not the first time a member has reported this same thing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Temp gauge was normal and no CEL. I did search the forum and posted on the threads as well, but the consensus seems to be (dealership couldnt reproduce/ identify the problem and they were told to keep drivng the car and bring it in if it happens again). I just made a new thread to see if anyone expereinced something similar more recent and received better news or a fix.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have a the 1.4 DDCT, with 6423 miles on it. I was stuck in traffic yesterday on my drive home from work, dead stop mostly for about 3hrs due to heavy rain and car accidents. I had long periods of idling (20-30mins) with the a/c and heater off. Since it was raining and cold outside the temperature outside according to Uconnect was about 59 degrees.

At first the car started shaking pretty bad, then smoke came out from underneath the front of the car/ hood. The smell also enter into the cabin of my car, which smelt like burning electrical wires or rubber. I experienced some surging and roughness under light acceleration as well. The smokes stops coming out after a few minutes, but as soon as I'm stuck idling again the burning electrical smells fills the cabin up. The car drives normal, but acts up as soon as i'm idling for more than a few minutes.

I took the car into the dealership this morning and they finally gave me a call back earlier and said that they couldn't diagnose and fix the problem. They acknowledge that they did smell something burning, however they could not find the source. The service manager informed me that they put a call into Chrysler to see how they should proceed. So unfortunately they needed to hold the car overnight until they get some feedback from Chrysler. I'll post some updates as soon as I find out. I appreciate any feedback, thanks for reading.
AlexPhan87,

Sorry to hear you are having this strange problem.
All of the symptoms you are describing remind me of two things that may be happening.
Either a burning smell can be coming some coolant that is leaking slowly as it's very hot and smells sweet almost.
The second scenario that I've seen would be wires shorting out, but usually trouble codes would be thrown in this case.
I'm sure your dealer will identify the origin of the smell, keep us posted once more information is available.

·
Registered
588 Posts
A lot of members on this forum including myself had experience the burning smell in our cabins. A few have found out that it is the DRL socket. Soemetimes the lights gets so hot that it actually burns the socket.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
A lot of members on this forum including myself had experience the burning smell in our cabins. A few have found out that it is the DRL socket. Soemetimes the lights gets so hot that it actually burns the socket.
That's what happened to mine. It got bad enough that the light no longer worked

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AlexPhan87,

Sorry to hear you are having this strange problem.
All of the symptoms you are describing remind me of two things that may be happening.
Either a burning smell can be coming some coolant that is leaking slowly as it's very hot and smells sweet almost.
The second scenario that I've seen would be wires shorting out, but usually trouble codes would be thrown in this case.
I'm sure your dealer will identify the origin of the smell, keep us posted once more information is available.
My service manager called me back today and told me that they traced the problem back to the DDCT transmission. The service techs at the dealership are unable to further diagnose/fix the problem without assistance from Chrysler. They issued me a rental and just basically told me to keep it until I get a call back from them.

I mentioned to them the possibility of loose tape, leaking fluids or just electrical wires that went bad, but they said that its the transmission. I'm glad that they issued me a rental to get to and from work, but hopefully it wont mean that my car will be out of commission for a long period of time.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
My service manager called me back today and told me that they traced the problem back to the DDCT transmission. The service techs at the dealership are unable to further diagnose/fix the problem without assistance from Chrysler. They issued me a rental and just basically told me to keep it until I get a call back from them.

I mentioned to them the possibility of loose tape, leaking fluids or just electrical wires that went bad, but they said that its the transmission. I'm glad that they issued me a rental to get to and from work, but hopefully it wont mean that my car will be out of commission for a long period of time.
AlexPhan87,

Glad to hear the origin of the issue was found !
Sounds like an internal issue, I would imagine a fairly quick resolution if your dealer has enlisted the assistance of our Dealer Technical Support.
Thanks for keeping us updated.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Just had the same thing happen today. Saw slight smoke followed by plastic smell in the cabin...
relo4d,

Smoke of course would be an indicator that something is burning, whether it be electrical in nature or other.
Geo67 brings up a good suggestion as this has been observed before. I would suggest making an appt. with your dealer and sharing your observations, they'll likely take a look at the day time running light sockets to start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Almost Exactly the same symptoms. A couple of differences. I have 12k miles on the car, and the smell is definitely burning clutch plates (same smell as brake pads). I have experienced at least 3 cases where the non-slipping of the clutches has resulted in the engine dying when coming to a complete stop. We thought the smell was from the large trucks near us during the traffic jam until the smoke billowed up (mostly on driver/transmission side of the engine compartment). And the dealer says there are no error codes and insists that if the transmission overheated there would be a error code (coolant temp of 190 at the time). It's frustrating to have the service department dismiss our version of what happened based upon their error codes, and to also imply that we are the type of idiot driver (which we aren't) that drives with the left foot on the brake pedal and right foot on the gas. My plan when I go back to pick up the car today is to start the car where it stands, and leave it in gear with the brake applied until the smell draws them to me and then get them to insist there is nothing wrong with the car.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Did you check your motor mounts? I've seen Darts here in the shop that have that smell and sure enough the mount gets so hot fluid was leaking out and burning up

·
Registered
3 Posts

3150 miles 1.4L MultiAir with DDCT

I had the exact same thing happen last Friday, i was sitting in traffic due to an accident, barely moving. Sitting idle for a few minutes then moving a couple of feet, never fully off of the brake for 45 minutes. I start to smell something nasty it was more of a rotten animal carcass smell, that turned into a burnt rubber smell. I was sitting next to semi so I thought the smell was him. Until I rounded the corner to the on ramp to the highway when i noticed white smoke billowing out from the front left of the car. At that instant i looked down to the gauges and noticed smoke pouring in through the air vents. I had no check engine lights, nothing on the dash showed anything out of the ordinary. The car was driving very rough as i tried to inch it to the shoulder, once i made it there the car had me put it in park then in back in drive. I shut the car down and called for a tow to the dealer. After 2 days the dealer wasn't able to find anything after stating that some did happen and it did smell. The dealer called me last night said my car was ready to pick up and that they had a Chrysler technician out to look at my car.

I was told that low mileage DDCT transmission have had this smoking problem before, and that there is nothing wrong physically with my car. From the paper work when I picked up my car....

"test drove, unable to duplicate odor. removed blower motor resistor & inspected-looks good. no sign of overheating or smell. cabin air filter is clean. contacted star online. checked exhaust. all stickers burnt off. inspected trans housing. no clutch dust. turbo to manifold is aligned. sealed cowl housing to body sheet metal per star case. contacted chrysler engineering. field rep came out test drove and inspected vehicle. rep advised smoke/smell may have been from the dual dry clutch which has been known to smoke in a stop and go scenario for periods of time with low mileage due to the design of trans. no problems seen at this time."

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had 2 of them come in at the same time for this concern.

Chrysler had us put clutches in both of them. One had 5000 miles the other had 12000.

These DDCT are going to be a nightmare for sometime to come I think.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts