Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apparently my shifter cable broke according to the dealer and they want 330 for it. Can i do this myself? i've worked on cars before just nothing tranny related. says it was the bushing that broke and it isn't under warranty because of it. on hold with chrysler right now to complain and see if they can do anything. if not i'd prefer to do it myself if it isn't something crazy difficult.

Automatic 2013 Dodge Dart

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't know, i'd imagine they would? right? I know when i took my 92 camaro in to a firestone to check out what was making a noise they gave me an estimate with everything on it. shocks, strust, wheel bushing, literally everything.

Still on the phone with chrysler if i can get them to pay for it. The girl seems understanding, though i dont know if she actually has any pull and can authorize something like this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From "what they can see RIGHT NOw" the cable is the only issue, it could be something else too but they wouldnt know until they get in there. which is annoying but whatever. the part number is 68164081AB @pkgmsu2000 . Its not under warranty because the Bushing broke on the shifter cable, and the bushing is not under warranty. falls under hoses supposedly and whatnot, wear and tear. *insert many swear words* It sounds like @Bullfrog may be the guy with lots of answers though?

·
Registered
626 Posts
From "what they can see RIGHT NOw" the cable is the only issue, it could be something else too but they wouldnt know until they get in there. which is annoying but whatever. the part number is 68164081AB @pkgmsu2000 . Its not under warranty because the Bushing broke on the shifter cable, and the bushing is not under warranty. falls under hoses supposedly and whatnot, wear and tear. *insert many swear words* It sounds like @Bullfrog may be the guy with lots of answers though?
Were there any warning signs before it failed?

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
i too am having a hard time believing the cable is not under warranty. how many miles do you have?

btw, you can get that part number for $52 at the link below or even talk with Benny @AllMoparParts.com and we can try to talk to one of our friendly dealer guys to get the install guide. @Kellym perhaps?

CABLE. Gearshift Control. Gear Shift Cable And Bracket; Gearshift controls made by Chrysler. #68164081AB

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I google it @pkgmsu2000 , just sucks that I can't find an installation thing. I'm sure it's just a cable that I could probably get at auto zone or oreillys. @kayfabe no warning signs really unfortunately, it just went

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
@youngsmith53 do you know who might be able hekp us with install instructions? not sure if we have any current members who work at a fca dealer
@Bullfrog might the best best with the shifter cables and or manual shifter assembly odds and ends.

·
Registered
702 Posts
If it's the small cable I'm thinking of its not that hard to replace. When I did My short throw shifter you have to take off the cable. The only thing that sucks is having to take apart your whole center console

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it's the small cable I'm thinking of its not that hard to replace. When I did My short throw shifter you have to take off the cable. The only thing that sucks is having to take apart your whole center console
The other part is paying someone 300 to take your center console off though lol. so I'd totally do that. From what it looks like bushing repair is super simple, but that's just the bushing, and it would take 5 days to arrive. I don't want to wait that long. i'd prefer to get this done tonight or tomorrow at the latest, if it's easy i'll be doing it myself and just replacing the cable for around 40-60(loks like oreilys and everywhere has these cables)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
are you talking about needing these new bushings too? because if so, while you are in there, you might as well get these from MPx and kill 2 birds with one stone

https://www.modernperformance.com/product/2013plus-dodge-dart-manual-transmission-shifter-base-bushings/dart-14l-turbo-drivetrain
Well its actually one or the other. If I replaxce the bushings I wont be replacing the cable. if I replace the cable it will have new bushings on it, ough I may buy those wouldn't arrive untl after the car is repaired I imagine.

Also I don't know if this matters but it is an auto not manual

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can freely move the shifter when the car is 'on' but it's stuck in neutral and I can't get the actual transmission to shift if that answers your question?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, when it came to the dealer it was in reverse, now it's in neutral. To bring it out to me he said the tech put it in drive manually but the tech was too busy to show me how(jerk). He said he did it from under the hood

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
For the shift cable my only idea is to get a bike cable and cut it to length and find the cable ends and solder them on. There is another thread that I posted a bunch f stuff in. Looks like replacement reverse lockout cables could be a viable business. If you have any other questions let me know. I'm not on my computer or I would dig up that other link.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts