Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody take one off? - i havent had time to mess with it but i want to swap it out for something smaller. first need to know how to take it off - i tried unscrewing it for a sec while driving, but its either on there really tight, or its not screwed on. is it like the old NSRTs where it just pushed on?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL thats kind of what im assuming...

·
Registered
663 Posts
There was a thread earlier on this site or another back in August. The guy had to break the shift knob in half to get to the nut inside. To remove it. If I can find the link ill post later today. Todd

Sent from my iPhone using DodgeDart

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if i remember, on Monday I will ask the guys in repair when I get to work - somebody there should know

·
Registered
96 Posts
Was there ever an answer to this? The first thing my wife wants me to do is replace the shift knob with something smaller, that soft ball sized monstrosity has to go!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes post number 2.
You say that but there were two other people saying they were looking into it who never followed up, including one who said he had heard of it being done. Hence my question. Even if I have to destroy the original knob I would be happy to if it meant I could put something else on.

That is good information and more like what I was looking for. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
BlueStreakDart also made a great point. Make sure it not affect the reverse lockout before removing the original knob

Sent from my iPhone using DodgeDart

·
Registered
96 Posts
Both sts are remanufactured factory shifters. Heres my sts/starbucks lol.

So, there is no benefit of getting the sts (Tork I assume?) at this point as they use the stock knob?

I don't need the shorter shift really, it's just a commuter car. If A ~$200 sts could be gotten with a smaller knob I'd consider that as an option, for now I'll look at converting it to a T-handle like I have everything else. :big smile:

I will thoroughly research the reverse lockout operation before I do anything, I just hope to replace the large knob without too much trouble.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
So, there is no benefit of getting the sts (Tork I assume?) at this point as they use the stock knob?

I don't need the shorter shift really, it's just a commuter car. If A ~$200 sts could be gotten with a smaller knob I'd consider that as an option, for now I'll look at converting it to a T-handle like I have everything else. :big smile:

I will thoroughly research the reverse lockout operation before I do anything, I just hope to replace the large knob without too much trouble.
The point is 40% less throw. And thats true. And MPX does the same thing. Its because of the stupid ass reverse lock out. You will have to deal with the shift knob until you or someone else figures out how to bypass that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You don't have to break the shifter knob to remove it. The top silver half is held on with clips and glue. I popped it off pretty easily using a wedge (knife) in the crack. Then there's a nut underneath that holds it on. It could easily be put back on as it was originally.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Remove top of shifter and replace with sts. Pretty simple. Worst case you'll have to glue the top half back on. I just finished mine. Took less than two hours

·
Registered
2 Posts
You don't have to break the shifter knob to remove it. The top silver half is held on with clips and glue. I popped it off pretty easily using a wedge (knife) in the crack. Then there's a nut underneath that holds it on. It could easily be put back on as it was originally.
dart1.jpg

Any Idea why I don't have that 10mm bolt there? I pulled up the boot and don't see a set screw or anything either. The previous owner tore up the shift knob and i'd really like to replace it, I just have no idea how to remove it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts