Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to change my shift knob read couple treads pretty simple to remove besides not knowing getting the cap off crakes it . None of the auto parts stores even pep girls speed shop didn't t have a shift Knob that would screw on and work without rigging something up for the reverse lockout smh goin to order the adapter shift knob somebody posted a link for dart aftermarket shift knob not many options but better than the oem one now and works with the reverse lockout

Attachments

· Registered
26 Posts
I wanted to change my shift knob read couple treads pretty simple to remove besides not knowing getting the cap off crakes it . None of the auto parts stores even pep girls speed shop didn't t have a shift Knob that would screw on and work without rigging something up for the reverse lockout smh goin to order the adapter shift knob somebody posted a link for dart aftermarket shift knob not many options but better than the oem one now and works with the reverse lockout
This Momo fits perfectly and only mod is 3 nuts at $0.05 each
Make sure u order the "reverse" model

· Premium Member
4,827 Posts
I found the reverse sleave was rubbing when I lifted the lockout.
Hmmm that's weird mine has been perfect! I had it on the mpx short throw on my old car and had issues because their thread isn't a full thread. It has like a notch. so that set screw and the notch were not making it sit straight. Now with stock shifter it sits perfect.

· Registered
26 Posts
Hmmm that's weird mine has been perfect! I had it on the mpx short throw on my old car and had issues because their thread isn't a full thread. It has like a notch. so that set screw and the notch were not making it sit straight. Now with stock shifter it sits perfect.
OK nice!! Mine is the kind with the Allen screw in the back to hold it solid

· Premium Member
1,337 Posts
LOL....I got mine off fairly easily. Although, that sticky tape used is really strong! Had the MPx know and hated it. Put the stock one back on.

· Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Look in the transmission section here on the forums... Newer thread that shows off an adapter you can get to make it have more common thread size so way more knobs!
I actually have that one. Just got my ball in yesterday to try it out. It's not bad. I still prefer my Momo but I planned on giving the adapter and black shift ball to my girlfriend anyways since she has a black dart. Mine is identical to the OP of the thread. I didn't get a pic yet though. lol I would love to get one of those titanium ones. Oh those look so nice but spending another $100 on a shift knob... the momo was enough for me and I am so glad that I love that one for the price. lol my friend has teh mpx one and I don't like that one either.

· Registered
497 Posts
How do u get the stock one off?
I changed mine . The top shift pattern plating was flaking off. The top half just above the black ring can be prayed off it is snapped and if original it also glued in several spots under top cap . I took a thin knife blade between top cap and top of divider ring and very carefully to avoid cutting yourself ( which I did ) and work and pry. If you get separation get putty knife or screw driver between try to save the divider ring it is a soft plastic the top cap will be destroyed it is plastic also and glued. Once off you will see a nut down in there remove and lower solid steel section of knob will lift off I don't know a way to save top shift pattern cap from being distorted. The only way which may make it easier is heat top cap with hair drier to soften glue it will also soften the top plastic section

Sent from my iPhone using DodgeDart

· Registered
2,064 Posts
I used a thin butter knife, slowly slid it in and out and worked my way around the whole knob, cutting the glue. The knife slid in and bent with the shape of the knob. I got mine off with only minimal damage to the black ring in the middle. And my gf's off with the same minimal damage to the ring and a small crack in the cap. Small enough that it's not noticeable unless looking for it, and we didn't have to replace the cap.

Sent from my S5 using DodgeDart

· Registered
14 Posts
I wanted to change my shift knob read couple treads pretty simple to remove besides not knowing getting the cap off crakes it . None of the auto parts stores even pep girls speed shop didn't t have a shift Knob that would screw on and work without rigging something up for the reverse lockout smh goin to order the adapter shift knob somebody posted a link for dart aftermarket shThisift knob not many options but better than the oem one now and works with the reverse lockout
CravenSpeed Shift Knob is what you need it's fits like a glove no messing or adding lockout adapters and turning butter when shifting. I just recommend getting a lock washer because the nut will spin.
Automotive lighting Button Circle Jewellery Auto part

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts