Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought some oil to do an oil change. I noticed the rotella t6 synthetic oil on sale. But it says for diesel engines. Is this ok to use in my 1.4l?

·
Registered
7 Posts
No. Diesel oil should never be used in a gas engine.
Diesel oil is fine to use in gas engines. Diesel oil is superior to oil only rated for gas engines. It goes through harsher testing to meet the spec. Rotella T6 is a really good oil so it will work perfectly. I have used rotella T6 in many vehicles(cbr1000rr, Audi TT, F350 6.4 diesel, e.c.t) and i find it holds up really well to the extreme temps where i live (-40c to +40c)

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
I wouldn't run it. It's not like there's a shortage of oil for gas engines, so why risk it?
If you're looking for oil that meets the exact specs for the 1.4T, I think there are only 3, they're all from the same company, and only one is sold in North America (Pennzoil Platinum Euro). It's not a common grade of oil, and any 5W-40 oil that has at least an API SN rating should be fine. Most oil makers just don't bother paying FCA to meet the Chrysler spec, but if it's good enough for Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes, it's probably good enough for a Dart.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The "S" in "SN" stands for spark. It means that the engine is designed for use in gas engines, not diesel. I doubt an oil designed for diesel would have an SN rating

·
Registered
395 Posts
While slightly off topic and I don't watch YouTube often I highly recommend watching ProjectFarm videos if you have any questions on oils, or lubricants of any kind. He does a lot of testing in conventional and unconventional situations and has a methodology that's just out of this world...for a dude in his garage that is!

I brought this up because shell rotella is actually in one of his videos. I'm unsure of the weight but it may be close to what your are looking at it not exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
The "S" in "SN" stands for spark. It means that the engine is designed for use in gas engines, not diesel. I doubt an oil designed for diesel would have an SN rating
Interesting, as Rotella T6 5W-40 used to have API SN and other gasoline certifications. Apparently they changed the formulation and it now carries only diesel certifications. So, don't use Rotella T6 5W-40 in a Dart 1.4T.

EDIT: The one exception is Rotella T6 "Multi-Vehicle" Full Synthetic, which is both API CK-4 and SN rated, but is only available in 5W-30.

·
Registered
67 Posts
While slightly off topic and I don't watch YouTube often I highly recommend watching ProjectFarm videos if you have any questions on oils, or lubricants of any kind. He does a lot of testing in conventional and unconventional situations and has a methodology that's just out of this world...for a dude in his garage that is!

I brought this up because shell rotella is actually in one of his videos. I'm unsure of the weight but it may be close to what your are looking at it not exactly the same.
In regards to oil, his testing methodology is quite flawed. He tests flow rates using, what is essentially a slide for the oil to run down. He uses a coffee pot and portable burner to test evaporation. He uses a make-shift lubricity tester to test "film strength".... None of that provides conclusive proof of anything. His "test results" are anecdotal at best. His videos are entertaining, sure, but take the information provided in the videos with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess I will be sticking with Castrol Edge 5w40 full synthetic. That's all I could find at my local Oreillys. And a Wix filter.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Pennzoil would be the better choice. Do NOT use diesel oil in a gas engine. Ever. Pennzoil is what dodge puts in the cars from the start, why not stick with it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pennzoil would be the better choice. Do NOT use diesel oil in a gas engine. Ever. Pennzoil is what dodge puts in the cars from the start, why not stick with it?
Not all of us can get the Pennzoil 5w40 locally.....and not all of us want to order our oil online. I use Valvoline Full Synthetic European Vehicle 5w40 since it is available at my local Walmart store.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was a big fan of Rotella T6 on my old ass Bimmer. It comes highly recommended on the bobistheoilguy.com forums, and it certainly cleaned a lot of junk out of my M54B30 motor. A common issue with that motor is chattering hydraulic valve tappers and the variable valve timing machinery becoming gummed up. Drop in some T6 and some MMO if you like to believe in that kind of thing, command the engine controller to idle at 3,000RPM for 5 minutes, and you’ve likely solved your problem.

As another poster mentions, Rotella T6 no longer holds a certification for spark ignition (gas) engines. IIRC there was some argument that this was, as mentioned above, just cuz they didn’t want to pay for that certification. However, T6, like many diesel oils, uses antiwear additives (zinc-based, I believe) that can, at some point, damage the catalysts used on gasoline engines. Sure, modern diesels have catalytic converters now, but they don’t operate the same way they do for gas engines.

All that said, I gave it a shot in my Dart for the first oil change since I bought it. I couldn’t find a certified oil in my parts, and had a gallon left, so I said what the hell. I was not impressed. My ear dyno was not impressed. The valvetrain seemed noisier (although its already loud sf), among other anecdotal stuff I felt. It’s very subjective, and not a scientific argument at all.

I’m now using Pennzoil European Formula and am happy. This may come from an unwritten rule for European vehicles: Use the manufacturer’s specified fluids, don’t take the gamble. And there’s hundreds upon hundreds of anecdotes in support of this rule, rarely based upon science, but enough to heed that advice.

Our engine and its controller are European. It is, with some tuning, one of the most efficient engines ever made, with some tuners labelling it as the most efficient engine ever built. MultiAir is a unique method of varying valve timing and lift. I really love my Dart, and I’m happy that I was able to finally buy American after 20 years behind the wheel without giving up the “crisp” function and feel of a European vehicle.

That said, our engine is European. Many a forum post has ended with a told-you-so when someone tries to cheap out on generic junk. Do not risk it, use only what is recommended by the manufacturer. Then, at the very least, when your European motor takes an expensive, Europe-sized exit, you can at least know it wasn’t cuz of incorrect fluid.

Seriously. You can chuck whatever you want in an American engine and be fine. But if you want the elegance of a European - and you do, you’re in this forum - stick to the recommendation.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I just order the case of Pennzoil Euro Plat and either a Mopar or WIX filter from Amazon when I'm about 1K away from needing an oil change so I have it.

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
I just order the case of Pennzoil Euro Plat and either a Mopar or WIX filter from Amazon when I'm about 1K away from needing an oil change so I have it.
Not much of an option in Canada, since it's more than $130.00 for a case of 6 quarts and over $70.00 for shipping. I can buy it for $12 a quart locally, or I can wait until the 5L jug is 40-50% off on sale and pay under $40.00 for that. All dollar values stated are in Canadian loonies. If I've planned poorly, sometimes I will opt for Castrol Edge 5W-40. No, it doesn't have the Chrysler certification, but it meets the relevant BWM, Mercedes, Porsche, VW, and ACEA specs, which are all European. It would actually be odd to find a 5W-40 gasoline engine oil that wasn't specified primarily for European engines, since it's typically only used in European engines. American and Asian automakers tend to go with something like 5W-20 or 0W-20 (although I was looking at a Kia owner's manual once and it recommended the appropriate grade of oil with a table based on the climate).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts