Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought some oil to do an oil change. I noticed the rotella t6 synthetic oil on sale. But it says for diesel engines. Is this ok to use in my 1.4l?

·
Registered
7 Posts
No. Diesel oil should never be used in a gas engine.
Diesel oil is fine to use in gas engines. Diesel oil is superior to oil only rated for gas engines. It goes through harsher testing to meet the spec. Rotella T6 is a really good oil so it will work perfectly. I have used rotella T6 in many vehicles(cbr1000rr, Audi TT, F350 6.4 diesel, e.c.t) and i find it holds up really well to the extreme temps where i live (-40c to +40c)

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
I wouldn't run it. It's not like there's a shortage of oil for gas engines, so why risk it?
If you're looking for oil that meets the exact specs for the 1.4T, I think there are only 3, they're all from the same company, and only one is sold in North America (Pennzoil Platinum Euro). It's not a common grade of oil, and any 5W-40 oil that has at least an API SN rating should be fine. Most oil makers just don't bother paying FCA to meet the Chrysler spec, but if it's good enough for Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes, it's probably good enough for a Dart.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The "S" in "SN" stands for spark. It means that the engine is designed for use in gas engines, not diesel. I doubt an oil designed for diesel would have an SN rating

·
Registered
381 Posts
While slightly off topic and I don't watch YouTube often I highly recommend watching ProjectFarm videos if you have any questions on oils, or lubricants of any kind. He does a lot of testing in conventional and unconventional situations and has a methodology that's just out of this world...for a dude in his garage that is!

I brought this up because shell rotella is actually in one of his videos. I'm unsure of the weight but it may be close to what your are looking at it not exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
The "S" in "SN" stands for spark. It means that the engine is designed for use in gas engines, not diesel. I doubt an oil designed for diesel would have an SN rating
Interesting, as Rotella T6 5W-40 used to have API SN and other gasoline certifications. Apparently they changed the formulation and it now carries only diesel certifications. So, don't use Rotella T6 5W-40 in a Dart 1.4T.

EDIT: The one exception is Rotella T6 "Multi-Vehicle" Full Synthetic, which is both API CK-4 and SN rated, but is only available in 5W-30.

·
Registered
36 Posts
While slightly off topic and I don't watch YouTube often I highly recommend watching ProjectFarm videos if you have any questions on oils, or lubricants of any kind. He does a lot of testing in conventional and unconventional situations and has a methodology that's just out of this world...for a dude in his garage that is!

I brought this up because shell rotella is actually in one of his videos. I'm unsure of the weight but it may be close to what your are looking at it not exactly the same.
In regards to oil, his testing methodology is quite flawed. He tests flow rates using, what is essentially a slide for the oil to run down. He uses a coffee pot and portable burner to test evaporation. He uses a make-shift lubricity tester to test "film strength".... None of that provides conclusive proof of anything. His "test results" are anecdotal at best. His videos are entertaining, sure, but take the information provided in the videos with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess I will be sticking with Castrol Edge 5w40 full synthetic. That's all I could find at my local Oreillys. And a Wix filter.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Pennzoil would be the better choice. Do NOT use diesel oil in a gas engine. Ever. Pennzoil is what dodge puts in the cars from the start, why not stick with it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pennzoil would be the better choice. Do NOT use diesel oil in a gas engine. Ever. Pennzoil is what dodge puts in the cars from the start, why not stick with it?
Not all of us can get the Pennzoil 5w40 locally.....and not all of us want to order our oil online. I use Valvoline Full Synthetic European Vehicle 5w40 since it is available at my local Walmart store.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts