Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first time poster. I have a 2013 Dodge Dart SXT. When someone sits in the passenger seat the car does not register the belt buckle as being plugged in and a message comes up on the display to service airbag system. Doing some research online it seems like the buckle needs to be replaced (Approx $80 part from searching on Google?)

I took it the dealership and mentioned I thought the buckle needs to be replaced. They quoted me $910 saying that the buckle and entire seat belt needs to be replaced. They said that someone must have accidentally closed the door on the belt clip and therefore the clip is shorting out the buckle. Replacing just the buckle won't work. When I asked how much it would cost to purchase the parts through them they said $400 + $120.

Is there any electrical in the clip itself that would cause the buckle to "short" out? Are there reasons why both the buckle and entire belt would need to be replaced? I know very little about cars and would appreciate some help. Just want to know if I'm being ripped off. Thank you! :)

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
There is nothing electrical in the clip on the part of the belt from the B pillar. The switch is in the buckle between the seats. The problem could be the sensor cushion built into the seat that tells the SRS controller that there is a passenger. It might just be disconnected so check under the seat connectors. The restraint system is quite complex. You should try another dealer and ask them for the code numbers so you can post them here.

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
10 - Restraints / SWITCH, Seat Belt / Description

DESCRIPTION
Font Drawing Fashion accessory Circle Metal

Both the driver and passenger front seat belt switches for this vehicle are actually Hall Effect-type sensors. These sensors consist of a fixed-position, Hall Effect Integrated Circuit (IC) chip and a small permanent magnet that are integral to the front seat belt buckles (1). The front seat belt buckles are located on a molded plastic scabbard and secured by a screw to a bracket near the back of the upper, inboard seat adjuster track. The front seat belt switches are connected to the vehicle electrical system through a two-lead pigtail wire and connector (2) on the front seat belt buckle-half, which is connected to a wire harness connector and take out of the seat wire harness. A one kilohm diagnostic resistor is connected in parallel with the IC where the two pigtail wire leads connect to the IC pins.

The front seat belt switches cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if ineffective or damaged, the entire front seat belt buckle-half unit must be replaced.

10 - Restraints / SWITCH, Seat Belt / Operation

OPERATION

The driver front seat belt switch is designed to control a hard wired sense input to the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC), while the passenger front seat belt switch controls a similar input to the Occupant Classification Module (OCM). A spring-loaded slide with a small window-like opening is integral to each buckle latch mechanism. When a seat belt tip-half is inserted and latched into the seat belt buckle, the slide is pushed downward and the window of the slide exposes the Hall-effect Integrated Circuit (IC) chip within the buckle. The field of the permanent magnet induces a current within the chip. The chip provides this induced current as an output to the ORC or the OCM. When the seat belt is unbuckled, the spring-loaded slide moves upward and shields the IC from the field of the permanent magnet, causing the output current from the seat belt switch to be reduced.

The seat belt switches receive a supply of current from the ORC or the OCM, and the ORC or OCM senses the status of the front seat belt switch through its connection to the seat wire harnesses. The ORC or the OCM provides electronic seat belt switch status messages to the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. The IPC uses these messages as an additional logic input for control of the seat belt indicator. The ORC and OCM monitor the condition of the seat belt switch circuits and will store a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) for any fault that is detected.

The hard wired circuits between the seat belt switches and the ORC or OCM may be diagnosed using conventional diagnostic tools and procedures. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. However, conventional diagnostic methods will not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of the switches or the electronic controls and communication between other modules and devices that provide some features of the seat belt reminder system. The most reliable, efficient and accurate means to diagnose the seat belt switches or the electronic controls and communication related to seat belt switch operation requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello friends, I need your help!
I have airbag light and seat belt light on and a notification notice about airbag service, yesterday I took the car to the scanner and it threw the code B005213.
Has anyone had this problem?
How did they solve it?

·
Administrator
5,337 Posts
Probably the switch in the buckle or wiring to it.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / CONTROLLER, Occupant Restraint (ORC) / Diagnosis and Testing

B0052-13-PASSENGER SEATBELT SENSOR - CIRCUIT OPEN
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

Theory of Operation

When powered, the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) sends a test current across the Passenger Seat Belt Buckle Switch circuits to verify the integrity of the switch and wiring. The front seat belt switches cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if ineffective or damaged, the entire front seat belt buckle-half unit must be replaced. The seatbelt reminder lamp will display in the instrument cluster for this fault. The ORC obtains the buckle switch status of the driver and front passenger, as well as the status of the front passenger seat occupant detection mat. If the driver or front passenger is unbelted, the ORC sends a message to the IPC over the CAN-B bus to turn on the seatbelt reminder light. The light remains on until the front seatbelts are fastened. An audible alert triggers within 60 seconds of vehicle speed over 5 mph. The seatbelt reminder light remains illuminated until the front belts are fastened. The seatbelt buckle switch consists of a Hall-effect sensor assembly. The ORC determines the status of the seatbelt (buckled/unbuckled) based on the amount of current drawn by the sensor. When the seatbelt is unbuckled, the sensor draws a current of approximately 6.5 mA. When the seat is buckled, the sensor draws a current of approximately 15 mA.

•When Monitored:
With the ignition on and the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) configured for a Passenger Seat Belt Buckle Switch. The ORC monitors the switch input current ranges at power up and continuously every 100ms with the ignition in on.

•Set Condition:
If the ORC detects the passenger seat belt buckle switch circuits have been open for 2.5 seconds. The active code will change to stored after the ORC verifies the passenger seat belt buckle switch sense circuit voltage has returned to normal voltage range for five seconds. The seatbelt reminder lamp will illuminate in the instrument cluster and an audible alert triggers within a 60 second cyl

Possible Causes

(R58) PASSENGER SEAT BELT BUCKLE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
(R730) FIRST ROW PASSENGER SEAT SENSORS COMMON RETURN CIRCUIT OPEN
PASSENGER SEAT BELT BUCKLE SWITCH
OCCUPANT RESTRAINT CONTROLLER (ORC)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Will there be some way to test the operation of the buckle with a multimeter, I saw a video where they tested the fastened and unfastened omni

1 - 8 of 8 Posts