Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At just short of 35k, I've got a "Service Airbag System" message on the dash.
What is serviceable in the airbag system?... and what triggered the message?

·
Registered
588 Posts
This will definitely be covered by the warranty, things like this arent a very common thing, and they shouldnt be, so you should have zero issues getting it fixed
Tyson

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As an update;
This issue started out as a cluster message on startup only.
After a day, the message would then reappear about every 5 minutes.
The next day, the airbag warning light also illuminated.
Today, there is nothing... no message, no light.

Who would have thought the airbag system was self repairing ;)
Loose connection maybe?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I had pretty much the same thing happen to me last week. It was on and off with increasing frequency for a few days and went off and stayed off three days later.

Edit: Two more days of the light staying off.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Usually faults in these systems are humidity related.
Take it in and get it checked. If some piece is actually failing the time you DON'T want to find out is when you need the airbags to work 100%.
It's covered under warranty worst case you're in a rental while they do the repair.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Is there any consensus on what is causing this phenomenon?
No, probably not, but have it checked out soon. Your first post says that your almost at 35K miles, so you're very close to the end of your warranty. Even if they don't find anything now, you will still have it on file that you brought the car in for this issue before the warranty expired, which will increase your chances of getting the problem corrected at no charge if it pops up again later, which it probably will.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Has anyone had to service this a second time...cause this is my second time. I just hope it's not gonna do this every year :/

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the service airbag system light on for a few months. It would only ding and come on when someone was sitting in the passenger seat. In reading other posts about this issue, it was identified as an issue with the seat belt buckle on the passenger side. I went to the dealer even though my warranty was expired for just over a month and they told me it would be $350 just to diagnose the issue.
I ordered the part online ($51.00 total). Received the part today and it took about an hour to install the new buckle. Light is now off and no more ding. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the service airbag system light on for a few months. It would only ding and come on when someone was sitting in the passenger seat. In reading other posts about this issue, it was identified as an issue with the seat belt buckle on the passenger side. I went to the dealer even though my warranty was expired for just over a month and they told me it would be $350 just to diagnose the issue.
I ordered the part online ($51.00 total). Received the part today and it took about an hour to install the new buckle. Light is now off and no more ding. Hope this helps.
Hello, Could you tell me what part you purchased and from where? I'm having the same issue and I'd rather fix this myself than pay what they quoted me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey could you also tell me what part you purchased ?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hey did you find out what part was purchased. My dart is experiencing the same thing
Check with Dodge I thought I recall seeing a letter sent out about them replacing the passenger seat belt buckles on some cars due to this error. I actually had the same issue but I just bought a replacement seatbelt buckle for the passenger side off eBay for $30.00

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
While that is a possibility, there are other things that can set that light. There should be a code set that would be more specific.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts