Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out this morning my 2013 Dart Limited with 2.0L needs new motor mounts and a transmission mount at 79,000 miles. Car was 4 years old on Jan 25 this year. Dart has been idling rough for a month or so so I had them look at the car when I took it in for an oil change. I thought maybe spark plugs but bad mounts did cross my mind. I just don't get it. 80% of my driving is highway. It's just beyond ridiculous. I just can't defend FCA anymore when it come to their quality. Maybe for people who only put on 10-12,000 miles a year they last, but not for those who travel a lot. Did not expect to have to deal with this kind of a repair so soon. Sorry for the rant. I just had to get it off my chest.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Just found out this morning my 2013 Dart Limited with 2.0L needs new motor mounts and a transmission mount at 79,000 miles. Car was 4 years old on Jan 25 this year. Dart has been idling rough for a month or so so I had them look at the car when I took it in for an oil change. I thought maybe spark plugs but bad mounts did cross my mind. I just don't get it. 80% of my driving is highway. It's just beyond ridiculous. I just can't defend FCA anymore when it come to their quality. Maybe for people who only put on 10-12,000 miles a year they last, but not for those who travel a lot. Did not expect to have to deal with this kind of a repair so soon. Sorry for the rant. I just had to get it off my chest.
I can understand your pain, but the question in my mind is... What kind of care did you take of your vehicle? Also, how do you drive? Are you a fast and furious driver that beats on their car constantly? (I am not assuming either as there have been many people who say one thing and do the other!) There is a person I know who beats on their car very badly, and gets confused when things break or wear out quickly... and its hard to make them understand that without the correct preventative maintenance and quality of driving that the car WILL NOT last very long at all!

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
you are lucky, several members have reported bad mounts at under 40k. travis at Deyeme pointed out the low quality of the dart engine mounts years ago.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LMAO- have you driven a Dart with the 2.0L at 6 speed automatic? I couldn't hotrod the thing if I tried. Its mostly highway mileage and I take care of my cars, all scheduled maintenance is done on it. I am 46 years old and my only interest is a comfortable highway cruiser. If I abused my car the original brakes would not have lasted to almost 80K. Like I said, this is just pathetic. I've done a search and apparently this is not uncommon for our Darts. Some are blaming using such a weak engine with a heavy car. It wears out the mounts a lot faster.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
LMAO- have you driven a Dart with the 2.0L at 6 speed automatic? I couldn't hotrod the thing if I tried. Its mostly highway mileage and I take care of my cars, all scheduled maintenance is done on it. I am 46 years old and my only interest is a comfortable highway cruiser. If I abused my car the original brakes would not have lasted to almost 80K. Like I said, this is just pathetic. I've done a search and apparently this is not uncommon for our Darts. Some are blaming using such a weak engine with a heavy car. It wears out the mounts a lot faster.
research, research, research before buying a car and as far as resources go, there is no better place to read and ask questions than the ORG :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you are lucky, several members have reported bad mounts at under 40k. travis at Deyeme pointed out the low quality of the dart engine mounts years ago.
I suspect they have been bad a lot longer to be honest. It just got progressively worse. It shook pretty good when the AC turned on over the summer and I was questioning if that was normal or not. Now it shakes like the AC is on all the time.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a FYI- My father and a lot of my family are retirees or current employees for FCA. I stick with FCA products. I get your point with research before buying a car, but everyone has their own circumstances. I get an EP discount and want to support the company that supported me growing up and my family and friends (I am from Toledo, home of Jeep and Toledo Machining plant). I wanted a small comfortable sedan to drive- the Dart fit the bill. I am not going to do heavy research in my circumstance.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
I suspect they have been bad a lot longer to be honest. It just got progressively worse. It shook pretty good when the AC turned on over the summer and I was questioning if that was normal or not. Now it shakes like the AC is on all the time.
Yeah... rear motor mount for sure then. But in all reality, i blame the engineers... If you have seen what the rear motor mount is made of, you would completely understand! Its essentially just rubber and plastic molded into the metal housing. If you live somewhere that experiences harsh winters, I wouldnt put it past wearing out quickly!

Also, dont take what I said to heart! I was just asking for informative purposes for everyone who is going to read and comment on this thread! It hard to get a bead on people when they are upset about something going wrong with their cars... It seems that you are old enough (no offense meant) and smart enough to where you know the difference between maintaining a car and "maintaining" a car. That being said, 3 years later I can definitely understand why there would be an issue with the motor mounts but not so much on the transmission if you are a laid back cruising driver.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Just a FYI- My father and a lot of my family are retirees or current employees for FCA. I stick with FCA products. I get your point with research before buying a car, but everyone has their own circumstances. I get an EP discount and want to support the company that supported me growing up and my family and friends (I am from Toledo, home of Jeep and Toledo Machining plant). I wanted a small comfortable sedan to drive- the Dart fit the bill. I am not going to do heavy research in my circumstance.
i will be at the Toledo Jeep plant on Friday :)

i too get EP since i have family that works in Auburn Hills. the rule of car buying in my family STILL stands. if you bring home a foreign brand car, you park it in the street and hope it doesnt get hit in the middle of the night. american brands only in the driveway. i would still never buy a car without doing months of research online, but YMMV.

·
Registered
944 Posts
And I believe they still have the best replacement set out there. I'm waiting to get a set until I'm ready to do the transmission.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got my car back- those mounts must have been bad a while. It's like a new car now, I don't feel a thing at idle, just very smooth. Hopefully I'll go a couple months without something braking for a while now ;)

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Got my car back- those mounts must have been bad a while. It's like a new car now, I don't feel a thing at idle, just very smooth. Hopefully I'll go a couple months without something braking for a while now ;)
Good to hear! Maybe you can invest it the motor mounts from deyeme racing? They've got multiple firmnesses! They aren't too expensive either! I think just the rear would make a world of difference for you!

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Good to hear! Maybe you can invest it the motor mounts from deyeme racing? They've got multiple firmnesses! They aren't too expensive either! I think just the rear would make a world of difference for you!
oh yea, the deyeme mounts are priced very fairly and i would never put OEM mounts back on the dart after they failed

·
Registered
843 Posts
Small world - I grew up in Toledo and my father just retired from the plant. He first hired on when it was still AMC/Jeep/Renault. I've been a proud lifelong purchaser of vehicles from the company and vocal supporter.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh yea, the deyeme mounts are priced very fairly and i would never put OEM mounts back on the dart after they failed
You would if you had the Maxcare warranty and it only cost you the $100 deductible to get 3 motor mounts and a transmission mount changed.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
You would if you had the Maxcare warranty and it only cost you the $100 deductible to get 3 motor mounts and a transmission mount changed.
had the maxcare, and nope LOL, would not put the OEM mounts back on my dart after failing less than 100k miles, especially not the rear trans mount with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
had the maxcare, and nope LOL, would not put the OEM mounts back on my dart after failing less than 100k miles, especially not the rear trans mount with a manual transmission.
Those mounts have to last me only another 9 months or so before I hit 100,000 and I get rid of it. No way am I keeping this after the warranty expires. It makes me sick to my stomach to think of buying a car outside of FCA but it may look like that at this point. I get paid mileage and I'm not giving up 5+ miles per gallon to go into a Compass or Renegade.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Those mounts have to last me only another 9 months or so before I hit 100,000 and I get rid of it. No way am I keeping this after the warranty expires. It makes me sick to my stomach to think of buying a car outside of FCA but it may look like that at this point. I get paid mileage and I'm not giving up 5+ miles per gallon to go into a Compass or Renegade.
Yeah, well just wait until gas prices go back up... then FCA is going to be scrambling to get another high mileage car in their lineup.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Yeah, well just wait until gas prices go back up... then FCA is going to be scrambling to get another high mileage car in their lineup.
Probably a Fiat, though, which will do as well as every other Fiat in North America. For the sake of reference, even in 2016, where the Dart did exceptionally poorly in sales and was only manufactured for 9 months of the year, it still outsold the entire Fiat brand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had broken motor mount bolts a few months ago. I have 1.4 turbo and I know why they had to be replaced...because I drive really hard...lol.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts