Dodge Dart Forum banner

*Serious* Nitrous Oxide

29K views 90 replies 36 participants last post by  The_lishp 
#1 ·
Hey guys as the title states im thinking of running nitrous on my 1.4t any one else running it here? im gonna start with a 50 shot then see how it goes. dry set up.

People thinking WHHHHYYY
1. im bored just want something to mess around with im not gonna be spraying 24/7
2. cuz i can
3. whhhhhyyy not!

alright, now i only have these questions:
1. Where to spray? im still not sure where i want to put the nozzle so any imput is appreciated.
2. how much faster do you think itll be from stock like i said not looking for any huge gains.
3. anyone know how to replace a clutch? haha jk

but yeah any input, questions, bs, flaming, help would be greatly appreciated also im still deciding what kit to order so help me decide by tonight! i plan to install on monday ill get fast shipping so i can have a project to do on that day (fams outta town) and any so cal darts that wanna join up lmk! im sure i forgot to put stuff in this post so ill post anything if i remember

Thanks once again!

See less See more
#3 ·
You put the spray nozzle as close to the throttle body as possible. Direct injection via tapping into the intake manifold is preferred.

You will want a dry kit, not a wet kit. You will also want an on/off switch, a WOT switch, a window switch and a fuel pressure safety switch.

You usually gain more HP than stated on the kit itself, but you won't know until you run it.

Clutch is a modular unit.

#6 ·
You can only do this if you store the tanks in your passenger seat...

#10 ·
A wet kit will be much safer than a dry kit.
I had a dry kit on a few of my bikes but the wet kit has always been better and I made more power with a wet kit.
A turbo engine loves spray as it cools the intake temperature.
A 50hp shot on a turbo engine will equal out to a 80hp shot or more depending on elevation.

#16 ·
Yes it would nx makes a kit for 2.0 but its around 650 or a little more the last time I looked. I kniw I can install this myself lol. Your right the 2.0 does need something but to really benifit from it a cai system and a high flow exhaust would need to be installed.

#17 ·
Hey guys as the title states im thinking of running nitrous on my 1.4t any one else running it here? im gonna start with a 50 shot then see how it goes. dry set up. People thinking WHHHHYYY 1. im bored just want something to mess around with im not gonna be spraying 24/7 2. cuz i can 3. whhhhhyyy not! alright, now i only have these questions: 1. Where to spray? im still not sure where i want to put the nozzle so any imput is appreciated. 2. how much faster do you think itll be from stock like i said not looking for any huge gains. 3. anyone know how to replace a clutch? haha jk but yeah any input, questions, bs, flaming, help would be greatly appreciated also im still deciding what kit to order so help me decide by tonight! i plan to install on monday ill get fast shipping so i can have a project to do on that day (fams outta town) and any so cal darts that wanna join up lmk! im sure i forgot to put stuff in this post so ill post anything if i remember Thanks once again!
Are you worried about the speed limiter at all???

#23 · (Edited)
So after reading this article and getting past the obvious of NOS and Nitrous Systems, I came across this article:

What's so wrong with Nitrous

Good little read, and the more I am thinking about it, a 50 shot here or there with the 2.0L's really aren't going to cause much if at all any issues. Sure there are risks with everything. I guess what I am getting out of it is, it cheap easy fun HP gains for us. Isn't that what we are all looking for out of our Darts?

I did a ton a research last night and even into this morning here at work about this after reading this and doing a bunch of research, I mean this is something I wouldn't run out and do right now, (I would rather have my exhaust and Eibachs first). BUT for us 2.0 owners that don't have the cash to burn on a turbo kit, or the wait for a potential supercharger. I think it has it's merits, not that it needs to be used ALL of the time, but when we want to have fun and race our 1.4 or 2.4 buddies... (No, I am not hating on those engines, but I know my buddy with the 1.4 Turbo always looks at my Dart being the little under powered sister to his 1.4L)

I digress, maybe once I do a bunch more research and I get the rest of the mods on I want, I will go down the road of the NX System in the 2.0L. It maybe "cheating" but it looks like tons of fun when used in the right application. Maybe @ 36,001 miles I will throw this on :)

Now for the obligatory race videos...

&

/EDIT, but alas it's illegal for street use in PA and the other 49 states... ;)

#40 ·
Now for the obligatory race videos...

Oh seeing this brings back memories.

I remember my first experience with Nitrus, back in my street racing days. I was still a noob on the scene, didn't even drive my own car, but I was good enough, it's run for other's. The one guy wants me to race his truck and I tell him he's nuts. It's like a Dodge 2500 or something similar, all decked out with the ladder racks and everything. The opponent was in an SRX that was quite obviously tuned. Guy tells me to flip this switch when it gets to around 80-ish and the SRX is going to be overtaking the truck.
So I run the race, and warn the guy he's going to lose his truck.
Race happens pretty much just like he said it would. I was impressed with how the truck took off, real sleeper there. (Also the beginning of my sleeper obsession.) Right about 85, the SRX started pulling up right next to the truck, just like he said it would.... So I flipped the switch.
Felt like a freaking astronaut. Next thing I know the trucks at 115 and still climbing. SRX was two headlight dots in the rearview.

So, what do I do, find a nitrous kit. Guess what it fits... the 3L Mitsubishi engine in mom's 86 Dodge Caravan. :saint:
Yeah, that was fun, but when a caravan breaks loose doing 80, it gets freaking scary. Pulled it out and went back to the drawing board. That's when I seriously started getting into working on cars and doing my own mods.
A few weeks later the engine in the Caravan died. Some mysterious issue with the head gaskets. :sorry: I just didn't say anything, but she suspected I might have had something to do with it. Coincidentally, Chrysler released a recall for an issue with the gaskets in those shortly afterwards, but I'm pretty sure it was my tinkering that hurried it along.

Since then I haven't run NoS in a car, I've stuck to traditional supercharging or turbocharging and regular modifications to the engine or air/fuel system. I always considered it on my Smart though. Thought it would be neat to put a little 30-shot set to trigger with the kick-down button under the accelerator. Regular driving, it doesn't have a lot of use for though, can't say I wouldn't mind having the extra boost sometimes. With my DDCT I'd worry about the clutch though. Still love the ultimate sleepers though, and hopefully in the next year or so I'll have completed my designs on the Dart. Kind of changing my style with this one though and looking at something that's part sleeper, and could be switchable to a weekend racer without much hassle. My best projects were my 92 Corsica and my '00 (?) Saturn L100. Those were extremely easy to work with and had a lot of room pro play in the engine designs. The engine in my Vue is the same way, but the wife won't let me play with it. Not that I can afford to anyway. Still have the parts list to get it over 1,000hp though. Too bad the CVT trans will never handle that.

Reactions: youngsmith53
#24 ·
i would need to do more reading and not just trust 1 source.. but it seems that Nitrous is not as bad on an engine as i thought. (i was told each shot was the equivalent to thousands of miles on an engine)
like i said. more reading would be required before any thought went through my head.
now methanol injection. that is a different story. that is on the safe side (provided you use the appropriate nozzle) but it truly depends on your location and ambient temperatures on what kind of gains you would see.

#25 ·
Yeah, I have been researching bunch last night and this morning like I said about the pros and cons. I mean certainly there are going to be both when going with quick HP gains like Nitrous provides. I don't want to be that guy that blows up on the first application of it and look like a complete jerk, thus negating the pros that would benefit the community. I'll research and research some more until I know what I am getting into to being with.

#26 ·
Meth injection is primarily used to cool the charge temps not as a power adder. I have it in 2 of my rides including my 1.4t dart. It does give a very slight bump in power to the dart. I record intake temps between 50-70 degrees under boost and meth. Now nitrous also helps cool the intake charge temps but is primarily used for power. When you spray nitrous into your engine the molecules splat into nitrogen and oxygen. Now more oxygen means you need more fuel to get a safe a/f ratio. More air and fuel in the same sized area (cylinders) equals more power and higher cyl pressures when it ignites. Hope I didn't mess that up too badly. Lol. One difference on the two is the burn rate. Meth burns slow nitrous burns fast. This is why it's harder on your engine. A small shot on the 1.4t which is already designed to handle high pressures and such I wouldn't think twice of. I would put a 40-50 shot no worries. But that's just me. On the 2.0 I would worry more because it's not built for forced induction or anything like that. But still I don't think 40-50 would do it much harm so long as you do not go lean.

#28 ·
Most mods we do to our cars are not "street legal". No one would ever know you have nitrous unless you tell them or they open the trunk. ( I assume that's where you would put the bottle) I do know each states laws are different on this matter. Example last I knew PA I can have it fully hooked up as long as the bottle is closed. NJ you need a permit to handle nitrous and it cannot be hooked up period. But honestly how often do you get pulled over and the cop wants to search under the hood or in the trunk?

#32 ·
no infact it's probably better than doing this on a 1.4 turbo.

the 1.4 engines calibrate acceleration by reading speed changes in the wheels. they may pull power and fowl plugs if you exceed the calibrated levels, also nitrous in higher levels would risk over spooling the turbo since the exhast energy would be higher than the waistegate was designed for. but on a 2.0 you probably don't have forged internal so keep it reasonable.

#34 ·
Ok thanks, sometime i feel just lost with my care. I had to get an automatic trans because my wife cant drive manual and shes pregnant so that was like ok if she needs it she has to have something she can drive. haha so i just didnt know if NOS would even be good for and automatic transmission seeing as I have little to no control of when the care wants to move into gear wear as a manual trans I have full control of gear changes

#35 ·
@SkyRaysDart Exactly why I got my Dart in automatic (sans the pregnancy part) my wife can't drive manual and she needed something to drive if I were to take her car to work or something. I do think that the NOS aspect of the automatic wouldn't be too bad, from what I was reading and researching the NX system only kicks on when at open throttle. The single shot would only happen when needed.

#36 ·
Hell this might be a little ways from happening for me tight on money probably like everyone else haha but Im certainly keeping this in mind cuz i want more power and this seems the best way to get it, at least for now. Hopefully a tubro kit or supercharger comes out for the 2.0 again just like every other 2.0 owner wants to happen

#42 ·
Don't do it unless you have the limiters raised. When you over shot a limiter it will close the throttle down and cause all sorts of problems. The first time is shuts off the coils to control wheel spin or clutch slip... its going to explode the plastic intake manifold. We have tried it and the ECU does everything it can to fight back.

#46 ·
Man, I miss me some NOS good old days with my big ole 455 olds motors pushing 500+ hp and another couple hundred on the button. Would literally lift the front left wheel off the ground 'bout an inch or so. (couldn't hit the button til 2nd gear or it'd blow the differential out from torque) I miss my NOS and my '78 regal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.