Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can't imagine what it's like to send your kid off. I do remember though seeing my dad tear in front of me for the first time ever when I got out of basic. May my new brother in arms stay safe.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Parris Island or California?

Either way your boy is coming back different. 3 months at Parris Island was the single most miserable experience of my life, and the best thing I ever did for myself at the same time. You'll see it in his eyes. He will be stronger and more determined about everything.

The best thing you can do is help keep him motivated, because it's easy to want to quit. Send him letters a couple times a week. Remind him that the misery is temporary and that it'll be over before he knows it. Then he can go to SOI next and life can suck for another 3 months....but not as badly. :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I remember 28 years ago, when my parents sent me off to the Navy, it was a day that I will never forget. Your son will go thru the most physical, and mental challenge over the next couple of years (1st tour) or maybe a career to become the most respected man. You did your part as a parent and guide him, now let him show you what he becomes. I did 22 years in the Navy, and will never forget what my parents was trying to teach me, was taking ownership and reasonability.

·
Registered
590 Posts
As former Marine and combat veteran I wish him the best. He will be a different person when you see him next and I think for the better. I hope he never has to go into combat but if he does the Marines by his side will not let him down no matter what and he will not let them down no matter what. It's an extremely dangerous profession that produces character beyond the norm and he will carry this the rest of his life. He isn't guaranteed to graduate and many don't make it, I hope he does. Be proud.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Can't imagine what it's like to send your kid off. I do remember though seeing my dad tear in front of me for the first time ever when I got out of basic. May my new brother in arms stay safe.
AMEN to that!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I remember that day like it was 3 years 4 months and 15 days ago. Couldn't wait to leave Parris Island. And now I'm stationed 5 miles from the front gate of PI, at MCAS Beaufort. The next couple months will be tough but you will both get through it. Write a lot of letters, that's what I always looked forward to!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I remember that day like it was 3 years 4 months and 15 days ago. Couldn't wait to leave Parris Island. And now I'm stationed 5 miles from the front gate of PI, at MCAS Beaufort. The next couple months will be tough but you will both get through it. Write a lot of letters, that's what I always looked forward to!
Beaufort is too close to that place! I drove South down I 95 a few years ago and insisted on sitting on the right side of the car just to be as far from that Island as I could as we drove by the exit. Haaah

Worst 3 months of my life. Best thing I ever did!

Very few things have really bothered me in life since Parris Island. Every problem Ive had seems.....less severe since.

·
Registered
19 Posts
San Diego, I sure do miss the hot chicks along with the hot weather. Plan to go down for graduation and head over to TJ Mexico, and check out the Donkey Show :popped out:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts