Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

It amazes me how people of this forum and forums like it are sooo much more educated on cars than actual sales people. I mean, if I was selling cars where that was my profession, I would make it a point to know colors/options/packages of the product I am selling. I've been doing alot of test drives lately..check out these example of Salespeople who know nothing of what they sell:

I go to Dodge lot and ask to test drive a Limited Dart in Stick. O.k..guys comes out, grabs keys and says Let me back this out and then we can take it for a ride. So, he can't get Dart in Reverse. I had to show him how to do this. Then, on the road he is telling me all about the Wonderful "Tigerfish' engine in the dart. And, how the Tigerfish 2.4 is coming shortly in the RT trim due out soon. Then he says this car performs much better above 3K rpm, so good to rev it. (Hey, he knows something). And, to get better MPG you want to be in that higher RPM band in boost. That’s where great fuel economy comes from. Hmm..o.k. admittedly, I don’t believe that is the case, but, I will leave that one open to possibility.

Another lot..I ask to drive a Ford Focus ST. He comes out with Keys and says 'There was a guy here earlier who drove this and said he will be back today or tomorrow, but, who knows..sometimes people say that and don't come back'. Obviously, he wanted to plant it in my mind that this car might disappear if I don't act on it. Then, he gets in and hits the push button start..it is dead. Won't start. Did the guy earlier have better luck?? lol

Another lot..I ask to drive an Acura ILX in stick. Sales guy says..'Oh we just sold one this morning, we have no more in Manual'. Yeah, I'm sure you sold one earlier. Why not just admit..we don't have any. Total Joke. Another lot said the same thing..’Just sold one’. Yeah, show me the invoice.

Between all the lying and them not knowing their product it amazes me people buy cars. Either the majority of the public going car shopping is unfortunately uneducated or the salespeople way underestimate our knowledge. It really provides for a lousy experience.

But, hey, good news is anyone waiting for that Tigerfish RT..it's coming soon! LOL

·
Registered
167 Posts
I feel your pain. First guy we dealt with for dart seemed pretty decent through two weeks of talking to him about various cars but he didn't have the dart I wanted and mentioned little to none of the features. So I went to another dealer to see what they had the salesman who helped me there gave me like a 30min walkthrough of the entire car. He really knew what he was doing/talking about so I found one similar to what I wanted on their lot and bought it that day. I received more info in 30min than I did for two weeks of talking with the first guy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can relate, and it pisses me off. I used to be a car salesman back in the early 90's. Maybe it was just the dealership I worked for but; we had to know everything about every vehicle on our lot, and when we had new models coming, we were required to know the vehicle prior to it's arrival...and we were tested on our knowledge routinely. Car salesmen today are pathetic. All they care about is getting the car over the curb, and they will lie their asses off to do so. They don't study their product line, which is their income line...how stupid is that? There is no integrity left in the field. I cared about my customers, because that's how you build a customer base. People become loyal to a salesman if they have an honest enjoyable buying experience. I would not go back to the dealership I bought my Dart from, even for an oil change.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I can relate. The first dealership I went to the salesman told me I could not get the 1.4L with an automatic. Another dealership tried to sell me the car for higher than what it was listed on their website. Needless to say I got up and walked out of both dealerships

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Yeah, I wished I would have gotten to talk to the salesman my brother knew at the dealer. I got ambushed by another that seemed ok. He was funny but he didn't know much about the Dart and he called the Internet sales guy over to help him with selecting all the features I wanted on the car.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I use to sell cars years ago
and let me tell you normal car buyers are dumb by the time I was on my way out I really didnt care
sure it gets 100mpg and has 10000hp now give me your money and get lost.
Most new car sales people are trained some just don't really care and pushy managers are no help.
Dealerships have high turn around when comes to sales stuff
one day a guy may sell hondas next hes at the ford store.

I lucked out when I was shopping guy new his stuff and the car just came out but he was gone next month o well

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
This is exactly why I only do this every 10 years (well, every 5 as I stagger between two cars). Simply amazing....

·
Registered
411 Posts
By the time I was ready to buy I knew way more (thanks to this site) than the typical salesman. I email for "internet" pricing, they typically are very aggressive pricing this way, I find. Got an awesome price right away, no haggling or drama.

Ordered the car by email and fax, never met the salesmen till I picked up the car. I like it that way. No BS.

Now if you dont really know what you want, then you need sales help, and get what you get.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Sadly, most of their customers would never notice. I new a guy who bought a KIA SUV thingie and when we went over to check out his new ride he was showing me all the stupid stuff: hidden cupholders, fold up basket for groceries in the back etc. I asked if it was four wheel drive, he didn't know. I asked if it had a v6 or a 4, he didn't know....

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
Sadly, most of their customers would never notice. I new a guy who bought a KIA SUV thingie and when we went over to check out his new ride he was showing me all the stupid stuff: hidden cupholders, fold up basket for groceries in the back etc. I asked if it was four wheel drive, he didn't know. I asked if it had a v6 or a 4, he didn't know....
And this sums up people now a days. Just the other day, my brother tried to convince me that they should take out all the engine shots from the Fast & Furious movies because they "weren't important" ... I just stared at him dumbfounded ...

This is also why the prius sells well...

But sales people in general annoy me. Granted, when I go in to purchase a vehicle I've spent hours researching the vehicle(s) that I'm interested in. I don't necessarily expect the sales person to know EVERYTHING about a vehicle, as things change every year, and there are 22 vehicles at least in the Chrysler fleet, but they should have a good overall knowledge. Most times the sales person will say "you know more than me" and that may or may not be true, but they have access to Chrysler's ordering system, and there is where the answer to most questions can be found as far as option availability.

The other thing is that most sales people at dealerships are just salespeople. They might as well be selling fridges, because they are not car people.

That's not to say that there are not GREAT sales people that are also car people. There are a couple on every forum that I'm on, and they are generally interested in the vehicles they sell, as well as their customers.

We have a dealer close to us where we have gotten our vehicles serviced since 1990. After we bought our '94 van we went elsewhere as the sales team got weird. Ever since I could drive by myself, I would always offer to take our vehicles into the dealer to get oil changes, etc done on them. But I would always wonder around the showroom sitting in all the cars while I waited. There was this salesman who would always come over and say hi to me everytime he saw me. Take into account that I'm all of 17 or so when this happened. A couple of years ago when it was time to replace our '07 Caravan, we went and saw him and he found the van that we have now. He's also allowed me to test drive a car or two as well, and was the one that opened up the first Dart for me to check out.

He knows that when I replace my Caliber, I will return to him for my next car. And that's all because of the fact that he regularly took the time to say Hi and talk about cars with me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The other thing is that most sales people at dealerships are just salespeople. They might as well be selling fridges, because they are not car people.

That's not to say that there are not GREAT sales people that are also car people. There are a couple on every forum that I'm on, and they are generally interested in the vehicles they sell, as well as their customers.
I'm one of those car guys that sells cars! Hell, I bought one and signed up here! Lol.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
So Forty61 which dealer you working for? I have looked at almost all the dealer websites in the DFW area and cannot find a Dart with options and color i want. I plan on buying but just have not found the right one yet.

·
Registered
447 Posts
So Forty61 which dealer you working for? I have looked at almost all the dealer websites in the DFW area and cannot find a Dart with options and color i want. I plan on buying but just have not found the right one yet.
I can't advertise, I'll shoot you a PM. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
When i test drove a 1.4 with my salesman, i saw a Fiat 500 roar by, and i said uh oh it's the faster us. and he looked confused, so i said "...Abarth?" and he replied, still confused "oh, yeah. Well the Fiat 500 is mostly the same as the Dart"
At which point i realized he was useless and continued to drive the car without talking to him.
During the walk around the lot I talked to him for fun about my knowledge of the Ram, Challenger and Chrysler 300. He barely knew what was in the brochure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts