Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
uh, none of them at the moment. With the engine mounted the way it is, you can't do that without completely shifting stuff around; lol. It'd take a whole hell of a lot of work to make it RWD, and then add in the drivetrain loss, you'd be at like 120 hp. You may as well spend all that cash on a BRz/FRs

·
Registered
733 Posts
unless you want the engine in the trunk which will be illegal on street. Otherwise get a real rwd car

·
Banned
1,380 Posts
Why ask a question like this when your profile says you have a 1.4 L Rallye and your asking if you can do this with a 2.4 L? And this is your first post since Aug? Hmmm....

·
Registered
562 Posts
unless you want the engine in the trunk which will be illegal on street. Otherwise get a real rwd car
And why would the engine need to be in the trunk?

People have been converting FWD cars to RWD since FWD became common place in the US. Mopar Performance used to sell a K-member for the Daytona just for this conversion.

Certainly not a trivial task but with the fabrication skills and money it's very doable.

·
Registered
733 Posts
And why would the engine need to be in the trunk?

People have been converting FWD cars to RWD since FWD became common place in the US. Mopar Performance used to sell a K-member for the Daytona just for this conversion.

Certainly not a trivial task but with the fabrication skills and money it's very doable.
with the engine in the trunk you have a lower drivetrain loss and with a 4cylinder thats often the best choice if you want to keep the most hp possible

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Well, at least it's not the usual "Imma do a turbo AWD V6 conversion" thread... I just Googled "RWD Civic", because I figured if there was a platform that had this kind of thing done to it, that would be the one. There are a few out there, but they're usually purpose-built racing machines. It requires a lot of engineering, fabrication, mechanical, and electronic skills, as well as tens of thousands of dollars. There's really not much point to doing this for the hell of it unless you're very wealthy and very bored.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I saw a vendor at the Carlisle show a few years ago that offered a conversion kit for the old Chrysler Laser platform. He had a Magnum 360 in one and now offers a kit for the 3rd generation hemi. It looked like a fun car to me. For a RWD Dart, take a look at Alan Johnson's NHRA Pro Stock car. Of course he did upgrade the motor to a 500 CI V8, along with a frame and everything else with the exception of the body, LOL. The Dart SRT4 should be out in less than two years, maybe the OP should wait for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, at least it's not the usual "Imma do a turbo AWD V6 conversion" thread... I just Googled "RWD Civic", because I figured if there was a platform that had this kind of thing done to it, that would be the one. There are a few out there, but they're usually purpose-built racing machines. It requires a lot of engineering, fabrication, mechanical, and electronic skills, as well as tens of thousands of dollars. There's really not much point to doing this for the hell of it unless you're very wealthy and very bored.
All these posts start out the same way I remember back in the day when people said it would be an outrageous amount of money to convert a four-wheel drive car to a V8 and it happened and it became very cheap don't say it can't be done and don't say it can't be done cheaply

·
Registered
3 Posts
uh, none of them at the moment. With the engine mounted the way it is, you can't do that without completely shifting stuff around; lol. It'd take a whole hell of a lot of work to make it RWD, and then add in the drivetrain loss, you'd be at like 120 hp. You may as well spend all that cash on a BRz/FRs
I love to hear these people say it's going to be so costly you can't do it or it's going to take tons of engineering it can be done and it can be done cheaply yes just going to take a little fabrication but you can do it don't let these people turn you off on doing that it can be done set your mind to it start up a GoFundMe on this I'll donate and I'll help you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts