Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Longtime creeper, first time poster. I've come across several positive reviews for both tunes, and some neutral and negative for both. I was wondering which is more reliable for a daily driver, but still maximize engine potential. I have just about every performance bolt on mod for the 2.0 auto. I've heard Kevin is great, and his tunes being great; to him being irrational, losing his mind, and the tune not worth the money. Worst case, read one person claims his tune caused his head gasket to blow, and leaving cylinders all fudged up, which gives me much pause for purchasing it, but isn't completely justified as others have had success with it. Maybe there was a separate issue with that users vehicle, inherent flaw when that specific engine was manufacturered, some other anomaly, can't say for sure as the user (Trident15) didn't post much other than the tune being at fault. Nothing so bad for the RRM spectrum, but read people selling it off, despite them enjoying the performance and MPG gains they got from it, which doesn't make much sense to me other than them selling their dart, to it just not being worth the money. But figure the spectrum would probably be safer as it just intercepts IAT, MAP, and injector sensors. Per youngsmith53, just lowered the IAT temp during his logging, don't think he logged MAP though, which I'm sure it alters the pressure value there a bit as well. Any help and opinions would be appreciated. But thanks to all the contributors for making this forum useful (emount, Alpine, Youngsmith, trident, cntroller, etc).

·
Super Moderator
4,653 Posts
Longtime creeper, first time poster. I've come across several positive reviews for both tunes, and some neutral and negative for both. I was wondering which is more reliable for a daily driver, but still maximize engine potential. I have just about every performance bolt on mod for the 2.0 auto. I've heard Kevin is great, and his tunes being great; to him being irrational, losing his mind, and the tune not worth the money. Worst case, read one person claims his tune caused his head gasket to blow, and leaving cylinders all fudged up, which gives me much pause for purchasing it, but isn't completely justified as others have had success with it. Maybe there was a separate issue with that users vehicle, inherent flaw when that specific engine was manufacturered, some other anomaly, can't say for sure as the user (Trident15) didn't post much other than the tune being at fault. Nothing so bad for the RRM spectrum, but read people selling it off, despite them enjoying the performance and MPG gains they got from it, which doesn't make much sense to me other than them selling their dart, to it just not being worth the money. But figure the spectrum would probably be safer as it just intercepts IAT, MAP, and injector sensors. Per youngsmith53, just lowered the IAT temp during his logging, don't think he logged MAP though, which I'm sure it alters the pressure value there a bit as well. Any help and opinions would be appreciated. But thanks to all the contributors for making this forum useful (emount, Alpine, Youngsmith, trident, cntroller, etc).
Hey I am on there :D lol

Well welcome to the forum finally! I had the Spectrum and did sell it. I think there were some benefits, but I don't use my car as a race car. I took it off, and didn't notice an instant OMG I LOST ALL THE POWER. I honestly, feel like it was same. Now this could have been because my car got used to the tune and detuned it to stock essentially. The cars ECU does self learn and you should reset it every so often. But I am happy without it. I think the GT has enough power for what it is, that the tune really was not as beneficial. I did have it on my first 2.0, and I will say I did notice a bump on there. Maybe an increase in MPGs too. That car just got really good MPGs, the GT struggles to get above 30. Even after I took the tune off the GT, I noticed the MPGs were about the same. So really I don't know if it was worth it. If there was an actual tune out at the time, I probably would have gotten that, but if you're worried about warranty, or any engines issues maybe the Spectrum is the move. However, I have not heard any of the stories about Kevins tune causing major issues. I would probably go with the true ECU tune for the best performance and gain. He has tuned the Neon community forever, and I think he has a good reputation for making a safe tune.

·
Registered
707 Posts
If you are really looking into a tune and have a MY 15-16, get the syked. If you have a MY 13-14 get either the syked or look around you for a shop who tune with HPtuner it will be way more safe to have a custom tune made for the car than a canned tune and price should be similar. I had the spectrum tune on my 2.4L and after removing it, I didn't feel anything different like Cntrollerfanboy said. Ecu nowadays have a self learning and ability to retune itself to stay in his acceptable parameters range. While the tuner can alter them to make it think it needs more fuel for the "higher" air density of a colder air temp, the ecu can, to a certain degree, see through that change. Also, in real world testing, I haven't beat a 1/4 miles time of 16.2 with or without the tuner and I only had the hpsi intake, lightweight crank pulley and a muffler delete.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I pulled the trigger on the Syked 2.4 Tune in November. Been sitting on it for a month now. I need to remove my RRM Spectrum "Tuner", but hate doing engineer work (especially plastic connectors) when it is freezing cold. Can't wait to see the difference once I get it installed. Hope it is an improvement over the RRM Spectrum.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,653 Posts
I pulled the trigger on the Syked 2.4 Tune in November. Been sitting on it for a month now. I need to remove my RRM Spectrum "Tuner", but hate doing engineer work (especially plastic connectors) when it is freezing cold. Can't wait to see the difference once I get it installed. Hope it is an improvement over the RRM Spectrum.

Looking forward to hearing how it changes the car. The top two sensors are a cake walk to get off, but I would understand trying for the MAP sensor one in the cold. Did you know you can do it through the wheel well? I know that probably is even worse to try to take the wheel and the fender liner off in the cold, but once that is done it's literally right in your face. Well kind of up and to the left but it's super easy from there. Me and my friends originally went from the top of the engine to try and get it and it was a pain.

In a pinch I did do it outside in the rain to take it off. When my first car was totalled, it was at my body shop of choice so the guy was cool and let me take any mods I had on it that wouldn't allow it to not run. I pulled that tuner off because I wasn't letting that go with the car lol only thing I left on was the pulley because there wasn't an easy way of getting...actually no we got that off too! It's on my current Dart lol I am just forgetting how we even got it off without an impact. Maybe we brought a portable one. Yeah I stripped that car. Custom made shift boot, LEDs in the interior and exterior, HID headlights and fogs, mud flaps, tune and pulley. I even took the spare tire in the trunk because it was never used, and i knew the new ones don't come with it. lol

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Looking forward to hearing how it changes the car. The top two sensors are a cake walk to get off, but I would understand trying for the MAP sensor one in the cold. Did you know you can do it through the wheel well? I know that probably is even worse to try to take the wheel and the fender liner off in the cold, but once that is done it's literally right in your face. Well kind of up and to the left but it's super easy from there. Me and my friends originally went from the top of the engine to try and get it and it was a pain.

In a pinch I did do it outside in the rain to take it off. When my first car was totalled, it was at my body shop of choice so the guy was cool and let me take any mods I had on it that wouldn't allow it to not run. I pulled that tuner off because I wasn't letting that go with the car lol only thing I left on was the pulley because there wasn't an easy way of getting...actually no we got that off too! It's on my current Dart lol I am just forgetting how we even got it off without an impact. Maybe we brought a portable one. Yeah I stripped that car. Custom made shift boot, LEDs in the interior and exterior, HID headlights and fogs, mud flaps, tune and pulley. I even took the spare tire in the trunk because it was never used, and i knew the new ones don't come with it. lol
Was going to do it this weekend, but my wife's Journey developed an issue (P0734 & P0735) and is now at the dealer with the transmission taken apart. The Dart is the primary family vehicle at the moment a d don't want to make any changes until wife's car is all set. Still hoping to get this installed soon.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Was going to do it this weekend, but my wife's Journey developed an issue (P0734 & P0735) and is now at the dealer with the transmission taken apart. The Dart is the primary family vehicle at the moment a d don't want to make any changes until wife's car is all set. Still hoping to get this installed soon.

I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on the Syked tune. I'm still holding out until I hear some more reviews from actual buyers.

My wife's new Ram pickup has turned up it's first issue(We traded in the Journey). The first startup of the morning when you reverse out of the driveway, the brakes let out a horrific squeal that is loud enough to wake the dead. Apparently it's very common for the Ram, has something to do with the pads they used. Good job FCA! Another quality product out the door! (sarcasm).

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
My wife's new Ram pickup has turned up it's first issue(We traded in the Journey). The first startup of the morning when you reverse out of the driveway, the brakes let out a horrific squeal that is loud enough to wake the dead. Apparently it's very common for the Ram, has something to do with the pads they used. Good job FCA! Another quality product out the door! (sarcasm).
Easy solution is to back your Ram into the garage and pull out in the morning. Once the brakes warm up they don't make the noise in reverse.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Does your truck do this as well? I have a few neighbors with Ram's and they all have the squeal problem.
I also noticed this but no longer since deciding to always back into the garage.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

Wife's transmission is being rebuilt at dealer. A 2016 Journey RT with 51k miles. Unbelievable. Will put this thread back on topic when we get it back and I can work on the Dart.

·
Super Moderator
4,653 Posts
Wife's transmission is being rebuilt at dealer. A 2016 Journey RT with 51k miles. Unbelievable. Will put this thread back on topic when we get it back and I can work on the Dart.

That's pretty insane. At least it's covered under powertrain. Being within 5 years and 60k. Luckily you aren't over 60k since FCA CHEAPED OUT and dropped the PT warranty a whole 40k miles. Like that's a huge slap in the face to any new owners or those that want to upgrade from say a 2015 model (me). But mine just expired so it will sit in the garage :p jk only until spring time.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
That's pretty insane. At least it's covered under powertrain. Being within 5 years and 60k. Luckily you aren't over 60k since FCA CHEAPED OUT and dropped the PT warranty a whole 40k miles. Like that's a huge slap in the face to any new owners or those that want to upgrade from say a 2015 model (me). But mine just expired so it will sit in the garage jk only until spring time.
I bought my Journey used with 6k miles. Only reason this is covered because the dealer I bought it from sold me supplemental bumper to bumper for 75k miles at a good price. Since this is also the dealer repairing it, the process is very easy.

·
Super Moderator
4,653 Posts
I bought my Journey used with 6k miles. Only reason this is covered because the dealer I bought it from sold me supplemental bumper to bumper for 75k miles at a good price. Since this is also the dealer repairing it, the process is very easy.

Well used wouldn't matter. If it's a rebuilt tranny it needs, then that would be covered under powertrain. You said it's a 16, so that's when they went to the 5 year 60k miles. And based on the year and your mileage, the 2016 MY (which lets say it was bought like September 2015 as an early 2016 MY) should still have the warranty even if you didn't buy that extra coverage. PT warranty should transfer to a new user unlike some like Hyundai or Kia. Unless FCA changed that too. In that case, they are absolute trash. I was only aware of the deduction in time though, which I believe is the only change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts