Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might not be specific to the automatic transmission (i.e. could be engine issue), but in the morning when I start the car and throw it into reverse, the RPM drops pretty dang low. I'm used to driving a manual, so dropping that low gives me that uneasy too little clutch not enough gas, feeling as if it might stall.

Any thoughts? Is it just because it's cold? (Maybe in the 60's in the morning, which isn't even that cold).

I just don't want there to be any issues. I just got her used about a week and a half ago from a dodge dealer. I got the extended warranty, but want to check with you guys (and gals) before I waste time taking her to the service department.

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
This might not be specific to the automatic transmission (i.e. could be engine issue), but in the morning when I start the car and throw it into reverse, the RPM drops pretty dang low. I'm used to driving a manual, so dropping that low gives me that uneasy too little clutch not enough gas, feeling as if it might stall.

Any thoughts? Is it just because it's cold? (Maybe in the 60's in the morning, which isn't even that cold).

I just don't want there to be any issues. I just got her used about a week and a half ago from a dodge dealer. I got the extended warranty, but want to check with you guys (and gals) before I waste time taking her to the service department.
Define what you think is "pretty dang low" RPM. Putting a car with an automatic transmission in gear normally results in lower RPMs than when at idle in park/neutral.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sort of did in my OP. It goes so low it feels like it might stall, but then it jumps back up. I know there will be some drop, but I don't think it should be dropping that low. I'll keep an eye on the RPM when I leave today, if i t does it again, maybe I'll have a clear RPM reading for you.

From the way it feels though, it feels much too low to be a normal drop.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
I sort of did in my OP. It goes so low it feels like it might stall, but then it jumps back up. I know there will be some drop, but I don't think it should be dropping that low. I'll keep an eye on the RPM when I leave today, if i t does it again, maybe I'll have a clear RPM reading for you.

From the way it feels though, it feels much too low to be a normal drop.
I have a 6 speed manual and when idling my car is at like 850-875RPM... so, i would assume any lower than that and maybe there is an issue? But like @jsblanch said auto transmission cars have a tendency to drop RPMs when in gear...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
65 degrees today in Michigan. My car has sat for 3.5 hours since lunch time, coolant temp was 100 degrees at start.

Starting the car it jumps to 1100 rpm for approximately 2 minutes until it settles down to the standard 850 rpm idle. When putting the automatic trans into drive it dips down to 750 rpm.

Depending on where you live, if it gets very cold in the winter the car will jump to 1800 rpm upon initial startup, until it reaches 150+ degrees coolant temp. This is only when it is below 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep in mind that if you put the car into drive or reverse at this high rpm, it will remain at a high rpm even in gear.

EDIT: Dropping RPM's more than what I described could be a sign of bad ground wires. My 1st Dart had an issue with dropping RPM's anytime a load was placed on the engine such as the front defrost or A/C. Has your touchscreen gone blank or turned white/locked up since you have owned the car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
65 degrees today in Michigan. My car has sat for 3.5 hours since lunch time, coolant temp was 100 degrees at start.

Starting the car it jumps to 1100 rpm for approximately 2 minutes until it settles down to the standard 850 rpm idle. When putting the automatic trans into drive it dips down to 750 rpm.

Depending on where you live, if it gets very cold in the winter the car will jump to 1800 rpm upon initial startup, until it reaches 150+ degrees coolant temp. This is only when it is below 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep in mind that if you put the car into drive or reverse at this high rpm, it will remain at a high rpm even in gear.

EDIT: Dropping RPM's more than what I described could be a sign of bad ground wires. My 1st Dart had an issue with dropping RPM's anytime a load was placed on the engine such as the front defrost or A/C. Has your touchscreen gone blank or turned white/locked up since you have owned the car?
I have the base Uconnect 200, so I'm not sure about that issue. However, I checked during lunch today, and it only dipped to about 850/900 when I put it into reverse. Started and idled around 1050 in park. It did not feel anything like how it felt this morning. So, I wonder if maybe the literal cold start has something to do with it?

I'll check again in the morning, but on my way home tonight, I'll turn the air on full blast to see how the engine responds.

I went from a beastly Trans Am to a Hyundai Accent to the Dodge Dart. The rough starts (a lot of vibration) I was used to with my modified V8, but I'm not sure the 2.4l is supposed to feel this way. Growl start, drop in RPM worries me a little since I was so used to the purr of the Hyundai.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I have the base Uconnect 200, so I'm not sure about that issue. However, I checked during lunch today, and it only dipped to about 850/900 when I put it into reverse. Started and idled around 1050 in park. It did not feel anything like how it felt this morning. So, I wonder if maybe the literal cold start has something to do with it?

I'll check again in the morning, but on my way home tonight, I'll turn the air on full blast to see how the engine responds.

I went from a beastly Trans Am to a Hyundai Accent to the Dodge Dart. The rough starts (a lot of vibration) I was used to with my modified V8, but I'm not sure the 2.4l is supposed to feel this way. Growl start, drop in RPM worries me a little since I was so used to the purr of the Hyundai.
Starting the 2.4 it always jumps to 1100-1300 rpms(gives a growl upon startup) at which point it will hang there until it settles down to the idle of 850 or so. That usually depends on the outside temperature, for example starting at 45 degrees outside compared to 80 degrees outside.

That being said, I know exactly what you are talking about when you say it drops so much it seems to almost stall. It doesn't do it everytime, but it happens enough that you notice it. I have owned 2 Dart's, my previous one would do this quite frequently, almost dropping to 600rpm it seems. Besides the A/C and defrost causing this, I also noticed that if you have the windows rolled up and you push the power window button "UP" it would also dip the RPM's.

I have owned 2 Dart 2.4 GT Automatics, my 1st one exhibited all those symptoms and rpms dropping, my 2nd one does not have any rpm drops under load.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: This morning, I double checked the RPM, and it started at about 1300 to 1400, then in reverse it dipped as low as 600 before leveling out to about 900-1100. Drove to the office, stopped at a light, looked down, and saw that the RPM was low but steady. Took a picture of the gauge at the office.

20170412_062528.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Update: This morning, I double checked the RPM, and it started at about 1300 to 1400, then in reverse it dipped as low as 600 before leveling out to about 900-1100. Drove to the office, stopped at a light, looked down, and saw that the RPM was low but steady. Took a picture of the gauge at the office.

View attachment 91657
I personally think that you are thinking about this too much... BTW... just for info reasons, What engine are you working with? We know that you have a 2015 SXT with an auto trans... but the transmissions are different between engines. The 1.4 has the DDCT and the 2.0 & 2.4 have the powertec. But i think honestly as long as the car isnt stalling or having driving issues you are just fine... These cars are extremely temperamental and will throw CELs for almost anything it doesnt want to see. So if you were really having issues I think the car would be warning you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I personally think that you are thinking about this too much... BTW... just for info reasons, What engine are you working with? We know that you have a 2015 SXT with an auto trans... but the transmissions are different between engines. The 1.4 has the DDCT and the 2.0 & 2.4 have the powertec. But i think honestly as long as the car isnt stalling or having driving issues you are just fine... These cars are extremely temperamental and will throw CELs for almost anything it doesnt want to see. So if you were really having issues I think the car would be warning you.
I have the 2.4l with the powertec. I figure it's okay, but I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. I already have to replace the engine in one car due to something I didn't particularly notice was an issue, and now because I'm having to pay for that seemingly insignificant issue, I'm overly paranoid, especially with a used vehicle. Besides, I rather enjoy driving the Dart, and would prefer to keep doing it. :)

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
I have the 2.4l with the powertec. I figure it's okay, but I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. I already have to replace the engine in one car due to something I didn't particularly notice was an issue, and now because I'm having to pay for that seemingly insignificant issue, I'm overly paranoid, especially with a used vehicle. Besides, I rather enjoy driving the Dart, and would prefer to keep doing it. :)
Sounds understandable to me! But if something really bugs you that much... it would probably be worth taking the car back to where you bought it and asking them about it... depending on whether or not its an FCA dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds understandable to me! But if something really bugs you that much... it would probably be worth taking the car back to where you bought it and asking them about it... depending on whether or not its an FCA dealer.
Definitely an FCA dealer. Not that a franchise dealer won't dick you, but I feel a lot safer buying used from someone who knows their own cars. If I notice anything funky, I'll take it to them and see what they have to say. Probably all up in my head. :)

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Definitely an FCA dealer. Not that a franchise dealer won't dick you, but I feel a lot safer buying used from someone who knows their own cars. If I notice anything funky, I'll take it to them and see what they have to say. Probably all up in my head. :)
Yeah, i didnt mean a non-franchise... i meant a NON-FCA dealer. But thats good! Again, im pretty sure that you are just being a little paranoid... it happens to me all the time! lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts