Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I paid $24,000 for my 2015 Dart GT in December of 2014. It now has a Kelley Blue Book Value of around $15,000!

Any opinions on what I should do?
Its a nice car but by the time I finish paying for it it won't be worth anything!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I will totally agree the resale is horrible on the dart. I traded mine in for a bigger vehicle and still owed 15 and they only have me 7 for the dart. I was in shock but when you have a kid you just need something bigger.

·
Banned
2,521 Posts
Just keep it. I would never buy a cheap economy car and expect great resale value. There's no reason for it to keep its value. They don't sell well and in the grand scheme of things its not that expensive to begin with.

Another thing is that dealers don't necessarily go by what KBB says anyways. They go by what they can get a similarly equipped used Dart GT at an auction for. Looking at KBB, NADA, etc will give you a rough estimate of what it will sell/trade for, but its by no means what you will actually get for it. All the little bells and whistles don't really add much to the resale value, except for things like a sunroof. But that extra package you may have purchased was strictly for you...a dealer could typically careless about it as it won't help sell the car.

You have to remember that they may give you $15,999 for it, but they need to make a profit off it too and there's some man hours to turn it around and put it on the lot. I'd say if you traded it in, they'd turn around and list it for something like $17,999 or $18,499. No one is willing to pay $20,000+ for a used Dart when you can get a brand new one for a couple thousand more.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have been buying cars now for for about 30 years and have never had a one of them bring back any good resale value. now that is probably because i look at a car purchase as a loss not an investment and spend the least i can to get into the vehicle. any motor vehicle "excluding some high end stuff" will loose half of it's value the first two years it has always been that way. but now we have car loans for 10 years that allow people to be so far upside down they will never get out. the loan companies will vig these a-holes to death and the debtor will thank them. so if you buy cheap and keep it til it's worth a grand you will come out ahead mabey....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Most cars lose 10 grand on the resale by the first year unless your car become an iconic car and then it just raises in value ( that's not going to happen for the dart) but if you keep it clean no dings or dents and maintaine the engine so and and so forth you can always sell it to a privite buyer for a good chunk down the road.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
If only I could BUY a used Dart for what KBB says they're worth! When I was looking for a new car for my wife I actually explored that option, and no they're not that cheap sitting on the lot. I never saw anything for less than $13,000, and those were SE models. So instead we got a new 2016 Impreza, a car that according to KBB holds its value like gold. And yet the thing feels so flimsy and cheap compared to my Dart. It also has developed a noise on startup that we're going to have to have the dealer look at. So much for rock-solid Japanese cars...

But yes, for some reason KBB really beats up on Darts, and they were doing that as soon as they first rolled out in 2012. I don't know what criteria they use in establishing resale value, but it seems they don't like American brands at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just bought a 2013 Dart Limited with the 6-speed and 1.4L engine for 15,900 yesterday. Only had 28k miles and has every option in the book as far as I can tell. Thats like a 9k discount from new.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Keep it and do what you please with it. Cage it and run it on meth. Make it a show car. Hack it up and Mad Max it. It's your car. Do whatever you want. Don't be afraid to be ridiculous. Because sometimes a crazy idea is a stroke of genius!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The only car that will hold any value in this market segment would be the Civic due to it's brand recognition. As somebody else said above me, Subaru is also a good brand if you want a high resale value.

The Cruze, Focus, and Dart have similar resale values among each other.

·
Banned
2,521 Posts
I notice the Challenger keeps it's value. compared to other FCA products.
Thats because of the name and heritage IMO. I would imagine the Charger is also better than average as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The resale value on this cars is the worst. I had a 2015 sxt blacktop automatic brand new, tried to refinance the car a few times but wasn´t posible. The value of the car was so low I didn´t get approved even though I have a good credit. A got tired of that and ended up going to the same place where I bought it and traded the car for a 2016 200s white with the 19" wheels. I got for my dart 11500$ with 11350 miles and 11 months. I managed to get and extra 1000$ because I terminate the gap insurance and the extended warranty. A few days later they posted the car on sale for 14599$. They sold it already, they probable made a couple grands out of it. I got really disapointed. I loved the car and liked it a lot. I had 7500 upside down that they put on the lease. I´m noy buying american cars again. My next one hopefully this year is a 2016 tacoma trd.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The resale value on this cars is the worst. I had a 2015 sxt blacktop automatic brand new, tried to refinance the car a few times but wasn´t posible. The value of the car was so low I didn´t get approved even though I have a good credit. A got tired of that and ended up going to the same place where I bought it and traded the car for a 2016 200s white with the 19" wheels. I got for my dart 11500$ with 11350 miles and 11 months. I managed to get and extra 1000$ because I terminate the gap insurance and the extended warranty. A few days later they posted the car on sale for 14599$. They sold it already, they probable made a couple grands out of it. I got really disapointed. I loved the car and liked it a lot. I had 7500 upside down that they put on the lease. I´m noy buying american cars again. My next one hopefully this year is a 2016 tacoma trd.
You must have a lot of money to burn. $7500 added on to a lease? And now you want to trade in for another new vehicle? What are your payments on that 200?

·
Registered
34 Posts
You must have a lot of money to burn. $7500 added on to a lease? And now you want to trade in for another new vehicle? What are your payments on that 200?
I´m not planning on trading the lease. I took it for my wife because she only drives about 500 miles a month. I drive 2015 corolla s for work and normally put about 8k per month. The dart was not the candidate for me right now. I ws getting 25 mpg on the dart while on the corolla I get 35mpg and only need 17 to fill a full tank.

I had to put the 7500 upside down on to the lease and My payments are 500 a month for 4 years with 10k a year. It´s not bad. Mi insurance dropped a lot when adding the lease. I was paying more insurance for the dart even though I have the 100/300/50 insurance coverage on both cars. I end up paying the same but in four years i get rid of the car instead with the dart i had 6 more years. I wasn´t planning on keeping that car for more than 4 years.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
Thats because of the name and heritage IMO. I would imagine the Charger is also better than average as well.
Nah, the Charger is a full-size sedan. A commodity family-hauling vehicle for the most part. Whatever heritage they were banking on it having they pretty much killed by making it thus. The Challenger is more of a niche vehicle with a more limited supply and dealers are confident that they can sell them used at a higher price point to the right buyer. It's one of the rare vehicles where having a manual transmission might actually increase its resale value.

I don't know why people are shocked that the Dart doesn't have a high resale value. It's not like any care does, realistically, but with the Dart, there is the added challenge that dealers can't really sell them at a profit and likely don't want to take them as trades. I've actually heard that some dealers in Canada won't take Darts as trades, and honestly, I can't blame them, because they're basically buying a giant nice-looking paperweight.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you watch Barrett Jackson most classics get the most $ if they are #s match and all stock. All the bling is if personal value. Life is short enjoy the dart any way you like.

Sent from my iPhone using DodgeDart

1 - 20 of 29 Posts