Dodge Dart Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Egg Splain to me this:
I have made 6,038 posts not including this one.
I have 5 rank bars.
I have 1 rep bar.
I just noticed (but not sure when it changed) my title went to Crew Chief.
How has the rep bar stayed at 1, and, why exactly did I graduate to Crew Chief?
:)

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
Egg Splain to me this:
I have made 6,038 posts not including this one.
I have 5 rank bars.
I have 1 rep bar.
I just noticed (but not sure when it changed) my title went to Crew Chief.
How has the rep bar stayed at 1, and, why exactly did I graduate to Crew Chief?
:)
If you look at the earlier post, it's laid out pretty well. http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/new-member-introduction/29100-reputation-system.html#post434590

Looking at your rep, profile - reputation tab, you have 32 rep points. You need 100 rep points to reach the second bar. If you hover above any users bar with your mouse (desktop) it will show the status. The status changes at 50, but the bar does not come until 100. It's odd, but that is how it was set up.

A lot of people are not used to using the rep system, but for posts (similar to ones like this) that are helpful and beneficial info to the .org usually calls for a rep up from members :) If everyone used it, we would all have more bars, but only a limited few still use it.

Anyone reading, and have no idea what I'm talking about, it's the little star icon on the bottom left portion of every post

As for the new rank status, it would more than likely be due to your 6,000th post. I don't have the graph in front of me, but that would be my best guess since you just broke that threshold

·
Premium Member
6,167 Posts
Anyone reading, and have no idea what I'm talking about, it's the little star icon on the bottom left portion of every post
I think that's part of the reason why nobody uses it. They don't even know it exists. It's really really not obvious, and this forum doesn't come with instructions.

Also, I've never used it this way, but it looks like you can also subtract from the reputation of a user.

Honestly, the reputation system would probably work better if it was based on "likes per 100 posts" or something instead of having some totally separate system. People are used to social media and aren't going to bother with the reputation system, assuming they know it exists and where to find the button for it.

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
this forum doesn't come with instructions..
Yeah, I know, I've been slowly working on it once things to rear their heads. But then members and the peanut gallery complain when I bump the useful threads or insert my "newbie boilerplate" saying that I am not being helpful and only hurting the newbies with my boilerplate introduction. So it's a damned if you do damned if you don't with educating and teaching the nuances of the vBulletin platform.

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
I think that's part of the reason why nobody uses it. They don't even know it exists. It's really really not obvious, and this forum doesn't come with instructions.

Also, I've never used it this way, but it looks like you can also subtract from the reputation of a user.

Honestly, the reputation system would probably work better if it was based on "likes per 100 posts" or something instead of having some totally separate system. People are used to social media and aren't going to bother with the reputation system, assuming they know it exists and where to find the button for it.
Yeah, I know, I've been slowly working on it once things to rear their heads. But then members and the peanut gallery complain when I bump the useful threads or insert my my "newbie boilerplate" saying that I am not being helpful and only hurting the newbies with my boilerplate introduction. So it's a damned if you do damned if you don't with educating and teaching the nuances of the vBulletin platform.
It's like if we couple add a +1 Rep button right next to the like button, then it would be easily used. I believe I have seen it like this on other forums. As stated above, if it was based on Likes entirely, that would work much better, I agree.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
If you look at the earlier post, it's laid out pretty well. http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/new-member-introduction/29100-reputation-system.html#post434590

Looking at your rep, profile - reputation tab, you have 32 rep points. You need 100 rep points to reach the second bar. If you hover above any users bar with your mouse (desktop) it will show the status. The status changes at 50, but the bar does not come until 100. It's odd, but that is how it was set up.

A lot of people are not used to using the rep system, but for posts (similar to ones like this) that are helpful and beneficial info to the .org usually calls for a rep up from members :) If everyone used it, we would all have more bars, but only a limited few still use it.

As for the new rank status, it would more than likely be due to your 6,000th post. I don't have the graph in front of me, but that would be my best guess since you just broke that threshold
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that being a Crew Chief didn't entail an expectation of doing "work" or having "responsibility" . :wink: I like that little, almost invisible, rep thingy at the bottom left tho.....
But the triangle report thingy? Scares me a little....... like how Walter scares Achmed.
jeff.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
bump for new members and old members alike to understand the workings and of the .org's reputation system. Remember you don't just have to "like" something, if that member really helped you out with your issue/problem, add some reputation to their post and show them your gratitude! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
new years bump bump for new members and old members alike to understand the workings and of the .org's reputation system!!! Remember you don't just have to "like" something. However, if that member really helped you out with your issue/problem, add some reputation to their post and show them your gratitude! :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Interesting...I never really paid attention to the whole rank/rep stuff, or ever really thought about how it was done. Kinda explains all the "you must spread some rep around before giving to..." I see periodicaly. LoL!

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Interesting...I never really paid attention to the whole rank/rep stuff, or ever really thought about how it was done. Kinda explains all the "you must spread some rep around before giving to..." I see periodicaly. LoL!
WELL wHAT THE HELL MAN! ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,810 Posts
exactly @loxmith, a lot of members have no idea of this useful and handy .org tool. For those that don't know how to give reputation points:

It's the little star looking button at the bottom left of every post. Right next to the report button...

rep-1.PNG

click on the star...

rep-2.PNG

and use it to give reputation to someone for giving out a post you think was helpful. Simple as that :)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts