Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While replacing my brake pads I decided to put in new caliper pins and bolts. The front was no issue (replaced with Duralast H15933), but the new caliper pins for the rear (Duralast 14261) looked like this:

The stock pins contain little rubber rings that fill in those gaps and these new pins didn't come with them. Here's a picture from this site that shows what I'm referring to:

Do I need those little rubber rings to install my new pins? I don't know what they're called if I did want to order them. Furthermore I gave one ring a little push to see if I could just move it over and it did seem possible, but if they are necessary then I'd be screwed if I broke it. I've got a 2013 2.0L. Thanks for any tips.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Have you ever heard "if it isn't broken, don't fix it"? If the pads were evenly worn, you don't need to replace the pins. Duralast not a good choice in my opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you ever heard "if it isn't broken, don't fix it"? If the pads were evenly worn, you don't need to replace the pins. Duralast not a good choice in my opinion.
Have you ever heard "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"? For a few bucks, I can assure myself that I probably won't have to worry about them ever again.

Which brand do you suggest? Mopar seems like the obvious choice but shipping will be more than the cost of the pins and bolts.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
Find the correct Mopar part number and then search eBay or Amazon for a price that includes shipping.
FWIW, I have never found it necessary to replace guide pins.

Reactions: brucetastic

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone that comes in search of the answer, the rubber gap fillers can be removed and replaced. It's not the easiest task but with a small prying tool you can get them over the thicker sections. It seems that they are necessary on the rear guide pins at least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts