Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m new here but not new to owning a dart. Recently starting hearing a few clicks under specific circumstances and I’m believing it’s the left side CV axle. Im going to do the swap myself, but I’m wondering who makes a good CV axle, as I see lots of replacements for about 1/3 of OEM cost parts but not many reviews on the axles themselves. Do I bite the bullet and pay 300$ for an axle that fails again in 60k miles? Or do I go to an aftermarket brand and risk it being junk from the start? Any and all help is appreciated!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

· Administrator
6,301 Posts
I would just go to a self serve you pull junkyard and install that. Look for oem with no escaping lube or noise. I never had luck with aftermarket axles.

03 - Differential and Driveline / Half Shaft, Front / Diagnosis and Testing

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - HALF SHAFT

VEHICLE INSPECTION
Gesture Font Auto part Illustration Circle

The general appearance of the halfshafts should be clean and oil free around the Constant Velocity (CV) joint (3) and tripod (1) boots (2). Grease on or around the boots is a sign of leakage and the boots or halfshaft should be replaced.

NOISE OR VIBRATION IN TURNS
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

Vibration associated with the Constant Velocity (CV) joints in the halfshafts occur in the 3rd and 6th order. Use a vibration analyzer to determine the frequency of the vibration.

Noise may also be caused by another component of the vehicle coming in contact with the halfshaft, brake or wheel assemblies.

CLUNKING NOISE DURING ACCELERATION
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Electric blue

SHUDDER OR VIBRATION DURING ACCELERATION
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

VIBRATION AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Number

Vibration associated with the CV joints in the halfshafts occur in the 3rd and 6th order (3 or 6 events for each rotation). The inner tripod joint with three pivot axis has three events in each rotation of the halfshaft. This will produce a 3rd order vibration of the wheel rotation speed. The outer CV joint with 6 pivot axis balls has six events in each rotation of the halfshaft. This will produce a 6th order vibration of the wheel rotation speed. A 6th order vibration will create a high pitch sound, like gear noise. Use a vibration analyzer to determine the frequency of the vibration before replacing components.

Reactions: Spencerbullett

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would just go to a self serve you pull junkyard and install that. Look for oem with no escaping lube or noise. I never had luck with aftermarket axles.

03 - Differential and Driveline / Half Shaft, Front / Diagnosis and Testing

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - HALF SHAFT

VEHICLE INSPECTION
View attachment 130339
The general appearance of the halfshafts should be clean and oil free around the Constant Velocity (CV) joint (3) and tripod (1) boots (2). Grease on or around the boots is a sign of leakage and the boots or halfshaft should be replaced.

NOISE OR VIBRATION IN TURNS
View attachment 130340
Vibration associated with the Constant Velocity (CV) joints in the halfshafts occur in the 3rd and 6th order. Use a vibration analyzer to determine the frequency of the vibration.

Noise may also be caused by another component of the vehicle coming in contact with the halfshaft, brake or wheel assemblies.

CLUNKING NOISE DURING ACCELERATION
View attachment 130342

SHUDDER OR VIBRATION DURING ACCELERATION
View attachment 130343

VIBRATION AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS
View attachment 130344
Vibration associated with the CV joints in the halfshafts occur in the 3rd and 6th order (3 or 6 events for each rotation). The inner tripod joint with three pivot axis has three events in each rotation of the halfshaft. This will produce a 3rd order vibration of the wheel rotation speed. The outer CV joint with 6 pivot axis balls has six events in each rotation of the halfshaft. This will produce a 6th order vibration of the wheel rotation speed. A 6th order vibration will create a high pitch sound, like gear noise. Use a vibration analyzer to determine the frequency of the vibration before replacing components.
Appreciate it, I figured it would be best to use OEM even though the dart is kinda boof when it comes to overall reliability. As for the noise yea it’s a clicking, only when accelerating on a left turn. Have you replaced axles on the dart? Is it easier pulling off the whole rotor or similar just pulling the nut and pushing the axle thru?

· Administrator
6,301 Posts
I have only pulled axles to have spare OEM ones. You need to separate the lower ball joint and the tie rod end. Optional if you have the rotor on or off.

Reactions: Spencerbullett

· Registered
18 Posts
My front end started clicking and making noise for a while when i turned the wheels at low speeds. Tried to get my mechanic to change my cv axle but he swore they were fine. He couldn't find anything wrong though. 10k miles later a tie rod was replaced and that was the end of the noise. It barely looked bad but apparently was. The other side just started making the same noise when it was super cold the other day haha.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My front end started clicking and making noise for a while when i turned the wheels at low speeds. Tried to get my mechanic to change my cv axle but he swore they were fine. He couldn't find anything wrong though. 10k miles later a tie rod was replaced and that was the end of the noise. It barely looked bad but apparently was. The other side just started making the same noise when it was super cold the other day haha.
It was your tie rod? I haven’t done any work yet, but was going off noise alone and was thinking it was the CV. that’s exactly what happens, it makes noise at low speed turns

· Registered
18 Posts
It was your tie rod? I haven’t done any work yet, but was going off noise alone and was thinking it was the CV. that’s exactly what happens, it makes noise at low speed turns
Yup mine ended up just being that. I wouldn't have guessed it but once it was changed out it stopped. I couldn't believe it as I also had it pegged for the CV axle. Might be worth looking into first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts