Dodge Dart Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
6,116 Posts
Is there a way to test the MultiAir to see if that's the problem
A MultiAir problem will usually set a code. You can do a compression test.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ask because Im not sure what caused the car to stall in the middle of driving it in the first place
Well I went and tried starting it again. After a few times it actually roughly idled for few second. The check engine light came on (flashing). Turned it off and did another check for a code and it finally showed one P1039. Mentioned #2 cylinder. Anyone know what this code means? Also does anyone know where I can find the wiring diagram for the ECM?
I really appreciate all your help with my problem. I hope Im not being a headache or pain in the .....

·
Administrator
6,116 Posts
28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) / Diagnosis and Testing

P1039-CYLINDER 2 OIL SUPPLY SOLENOID VALVE DRIVER SHORT TO BATTERY

Theory of Operation

Multi-Air is an electronically controlled variable intake valve phase and lift system. Unlike conventional intake valve phase and lift system which controls all the cylinder intake valves simultaneously and in the same proportion; Multi-Air, through the use of an electronically controlled “ hydraulic link” between the camshaft and intake valve, allowing for each intake valve to be controlled independently. The valve lift and timing can be adjusted infinitely.

The Multi-Air valve train has a mechanical camshaft lobe acting on a hydraulic pump located between the camshaft intake lobe and the intake valve. The pump provides oil under pressure to a two-way electro-hydraulic solenoid valve called the Variable Valve Actuator (VVA) Solenoid. The VVA Solenoid is electronically controlled during the specific intake cam lobe event by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). During the event the VVA Solenoid is commanded to either hold oil pressure or bleed oil. The Variable Valve Actuator (VVA) Solenoid is a normally open solenoid. The PCM provides 12 volts to close the solenoid. The position of the VVA Solenoid determines the intake valve timing and lift. This change on valve action is similar to creating a change in the camshaft lobe profile affecting lift and duration of the valve opening.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•With the engine running.
•With no battery or ASD Relay DTCs active.

Set Conditions:

•When the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects a short to voltage in the Solenoid Signal or Return circuit.

Default Actions:

•The MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

VARIABLE VALVE ACTUATOR SOLENOID SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
VARIABLE VALVE ACTUATOR SOLENOID RETURN CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
VARIABLE VALVE ACTUATOR SOLENOID
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Always perform the PRE-DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURE before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

1.CHECK FOR AN ACTIVE DTC

1. Start the engine and allow it to idle.

WARNING:
When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts, or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions can result in possible serious or fatal injury.

2. With the scan tool, read DTCs and record on the repair order.

Is the DTC active or pending?

Yes

•Go To 2

No

•Perform the INTERMITTENT CONDITION diagnostic procedure. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

2.CHECK THE (N34) VVA SOLENOID 2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE

1. Turn the ignition off.

2. Disconnect the VVA Solenoid 2 harness connector.

3. Disconnect the PCM C2 harness connector.

4. Check for continuity between the (N34) VVA Solenoid 2 Signal circuit and all other circuits at the PCM C2 harness connector.

Is there continuity between the (N34) VVA Solenoid 2 Signal circuit and any other circuit?

Yes

•Repair the (N34) VVA Solenoid 2 Signal circuit for a short to another circuit.
•Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 3

3.CHECK THE (N35) VVA SOLENOID 2 RETURN CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE

1. Check for continuity between the (N35) VVA Solenoid 2 Return circuit and all other circuits at the PCM C2 harness connector.

Is there continuity between the (N35) VVA Solenoid 2 Return circuit and any other circuit?

Yes

•Repair the (N35) VVA Solenoid 2 Return circuit for a short to another circuit.
•Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 4

4.CHECK RELATED PCM AND COMPONENT CONNECTIONS

1. Perform any Service Bulletins that apply.

2. Disconnect all PCM harness connectors.

3. Disconnect all related in-line harness connections (if equipped).

4. Disconnect the related component harness connectors.

5. Inspect harness connectors, component connectors, and all male and female terminals for the following conditions:
•Proper connector installation.
•Damaged connector locks.
•Corrosion.
•Other signs of water intrusion.
•Weather seal damage (if equipped).
•Bent terminals.
•Overheating due to a poor connection (terminal may be discolored due to excessive current draw).
•Terminals that have been pushed back into the connector cavity.
•Check for spread terminals and verify proper terminal tension.

Repair any conditions that are found.

6. Reconnect all PCM harness connectors. Be certain that all harness connectors are fully seated and the connector locks are fully engaged.

7. Reconnect all in-line harness connectors (if equipped). Be certain that all connectors are fully seated and the connector locks are fully engaged.

8. Reconnect all related component harness connectors. Be certain that all connectors are fully seated and the connector locks are fully engaged.

9. With the scan tool, erase DTCs.

10. Test drive or operate the vehicle in accordance with the when monitored and set conditions.

11. With the scan tool, read DTCs.

Did the DTC return?

Yes

•Replace the Powertrain Control Module in accordance with the Service information. (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Powertrain Control - Removal) .

No

•Test complete.

There is no single schematic for the PCM but there is a pinout:

·
Registered
8 Posts
2014 Dodge Dart SXT 2.4L
I replaced the MultiAir "brick" because I kept getting a p1067. The code would go away after changing the oil but recently the code came back up at 80% oil life. After doing some research I found out that you can't just replace that one solenoid. It has to be then entire actuator. I replaced the MultiAir Actuator yesterday with a new one and did an oil change at the same time. Now the engine cranks but won't start. There is spark, fuel pressure, and oil pressure but after checking cyl 1 & 2 i found that there is no cylinder compression what so ever. Before removing the old actuator I removed all spark plugs and made sure all 4 pistons were at the halfway mark. Can someone tell me what am I doing wrong?
I need help my dodge dart 2014 cranks but no compression we replaced the entire motor along with starter and now it has no compression helpppp

·
Administrator
6,116 Posts
MultiAir must have oil and it takes forever cranking to get it up there.

·
Administrator
6,116 Posts
Did you have the timing belt off? There are special tools to get the belt in the right place.

If you had the multiair brick off, you need to be sure it is aligned correctly. There is a special tool but if you slowly a few turns at a time on each bolt sequentially seat the brick, it should be aligned.

Bolts 1, 3, 4, 6 and 9 are longer (55 mm) and bolts 2, 5, 7 and 8 are shorter (50 mm).

Tighten the nine bolts in three steps following the sequence shown:
  • Step 1: All to 10 N·m (89 in. lbs.).
  • Step 2: All to 22 N·m (16 ft. lbs.).
  • Step 3: All again to 22 N·m (16 ft. lbs.).

·
Administrator
6,116 Posts

·
Administrator
6,116 Posts
You can check if your brick is aligned.

This is a visual indication of an IMPROPERLY aligned VVAA. The centerline of the plunger (1) and the centerline of the intake valvestem (2) are not aligned.

This is a visual indication of a PROPERLY aligned VVAA. The centerline (1) of both the plunger and the intake valve stem are aligned

·
Administrator
6,116 Posts
There are a bunch of you tube videos about the MultiAir brick. Watch them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Dodge dardo SXT 2.4L
Reemplacé el "ladrillo" MultiAir porque seguía recibiendo un p1067. El código desaparecía después de cambiar el aceite, pero recientemente volvió a aparecer al 80 % de la vida útil del aceite. Después de investigar un poco, descubrí que no se puede simplemente reemplazar ese solenoide. Tiene que ser entonces actuador completo. Ayer reemplacé el actuador MultiAir por uno nuevo e hice un cambio de aceite al mismo tiempo. Ahora el motor gira pero no arranca. Hay chispa, presión de combustible y presión de aceite, pero después de revisar los cilindros 1 y 2, descubrí que no hay compresión del cilindro. Antes de quitar el actuador viejo, quité todas las bujías y me aseguré de que los 4 pistones estuvieran en la marca de la mitad. ¿Alguien puede decirme qué estoy haciendo mal?
Me pasó

·
Registered
14 Posts
You have no compression because the valves are not closing. The vales are not closing because you have air in the Multiair actuators / AKA Multiair Brick You have to just keep cranking the hell out the engine until the actuators bleed out the air, and fill with oil. I killed my battery at least 3 times, maybe 4 times, from just cranking it over 2 days. Eventually the engine will regain compression and sputter back to life. FYI, I learned about this because I had to completely take apart my engine after getting oil and coolant mixing together from a blown head gasket. I did not use any special tool either when removing or replacing the multiair actuator / AKA Multiair Brick.
I have a 2015 dart and replaced the whole vvt and it still won’t start after the crank wait crank for two days I am not sure what the problem could be and the motor still sounds like it has no compression just free spins

·
Administrator
6,116 Posts
If the VVAA is being replaced (new part), it is recommended that the VVAA be primed with NEW/CLEAN oil after installation. This will limit the amount of time it takes for the assembly to fill while cranking the engine. If the cylinder head cover is installed the service port can be accessed through the opening at the rear of the cover (1).
Rectangle Font Auto part Gas Drawing

Using an oil can with a CLEAN soft tip or similar tool like a NEW plastic syringe, force CLEAN, UNUSED oil into the service port (1). Continue to inject oil until oil flows continuously from the bleed port (2) or until a maximum of 200 mL has been injected.
Font Auto part Engineering Automotive wheel system Machine

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the VVAA is being replaced (new part), it is recommended that the VVAA be primed with NEW/CLEAN oil after installation. This will limit the amount of time it takes for the assembly to fill while cranking the engine. If the cylinder head cover is installed the service port can be accessed through the opening at the rear of the cover (1).
View attachment 129911

Using an oil can with a CLEAN soft tip or similar tool like a NEW plastic syringe, force CLEAN, UNUSED oil into the service port (1). Continue to inject oil until oil flows continuously from the bleed port (2) or until a maximum of 200 mL has been injected.
View attachment 129912
Thank you I will try tomorrow and see if it worked

21 - 40 of 62 Posts