Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a lot of clatter with the new flywheel and clutch setup. Is there a way to dampen the noise with thicker transmission fluid? And if so, what thickness. I don’t want to put the old flywheel back… but the noise is excessively loud.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Dart 1.4T Limited MTX
58 Posts
I feel ya. I have the aluminum flywheel and fx100 and she chatters like a mother. That was one of the main purposes of the DMF was to eliminate gear noise, but for dropping almost 10 pounds off the drivetrain, I'll live with it. The only thing I can think of is getting it tuned so the idle is higher, like 1k or wherever the chatter stops.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel ya. I have the aluminum flywheel and fx100 and she chatters like a mother. That was one of the main purposes of the DMF was to eliminate gear noise, but for dropping almost 10 pounds off the drivetrain, I'll live with it. The only thing I can think of is getting it tuned so the idle is higher, like 1k or wherever the chatter stops.
Do you think adding thicker transmission fluid would help dampen the sound?

·
Registered
58 Posts
It might diminish it slightly but I wouldn't recommend putting any fluid that isn't recommended into that tranny. You need to be careful because some additives can harm the synchros. I use royal purple synchromax and the clashing is pretty much the same as stock, possibly a little worse, but my car is loud as is so I just deal with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might diminish it slightly but I wouldn't recommend putting any fluid that isn't recommended into that tranny. You need to be careful because some additives can harm the synchros. I use royal purple synchromax and the clashing is pretty much the same as stock, possibly a little worse, but my car is loud as is so I just deal with it.
Ok, I guess I’ll have to suck it up. Would you be able to post a short clip of how your car sounds? I just want to compare, not saying your wrong, seeing is believing lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's links to the videos. One is inside the car and the other by the driver's side wheel.
Inside
Outside
The forum wouldn't let me attach them here for whatever reason so I put them on google drive. If that doesn't work, let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's links to the videos. One is inside the car and the other by the driver's side wheel.
Inside
Outside
The forum wouldn't let me attach them here for whatever reason so I put them on google drive. If that doesn't work, let me know.
Thanks! I’ll check it out now

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, do you ever get a burning smell coming through the vents after accelerating or sitting at a light?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, it happens every so often when at a light. I've checked fluids and I've never run low on anything so idk what it would be. Maybe rich exhaust after a heavy run?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Also, do you ever get a burning smell coming through the vents after accelerating or sitting at a light?
You might want to check the top of your valve cover? Back when I had my Dart, I had a burning smell, and even occasionally a light cloud of smoke, come through my air vents when I had to slow down very quick. Smelled of burning oil. The oil separator on top of the engine was leaking, causing oil to slowly pool up in the crevices, and braking hard caused it to run down the front of the engine.

·
Premium Member
2013 Dart Limited 1.4T 6-Speed
258 Posts
Leaking oil separator o-ring was what caused the burning smell for me. Usually when slowing to a stop or making a hard turn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts