Dodge Dart Forum banner

Rear turn signal assy (Tail light)

4K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  Offrdguy79 
#1 ·
Hi all,
So, Im really getting tired of this car after having it for only 2 months.
My new thing now is I went out to my car last night after work and noticed the left rear tail light was dark except for the marker light. The assembly lights (Flashes) when I unlock the car and I have no warning on the dash that the light is out.
Do I need to replace the assy? Other than the dealer or E-bay, does anyone know where I can get a replacement for less than $60?

This car is going to give me another heart attack.
At least I found my solution to the front turn signal sockets being burned and replacement for cheap. ($6.00 ea online /Dealer $18.00ea)

Thanks,
Jeff

#3 ·
Check the wiring. The tail light assembly itself is all LED so it's unlikely that all the LEDs went at the same time.
I kinda did earlier, but was pressed for time plus high winds here today.
I will see what I can find this weekend. If all else fails, I will check out the salvage yard.

It did seem odd that it was the only part of the assy that stopped working.
It stinks that they charge so much for the damn part.

I tried to see the schematic you attached through my phone but can't zoom well enough to read it. (Fuzzy).
I will see what I can.
I haven't messed with that part of the car other than to tuck the cover back under the rubber at the curve.
Is there any part in particular to look at?

#4 ·
So, I checked what little I could today without taking everything out of the trunk. The plug looks ok, I put a dab of connection lube on it, re attached it. Still no go. The only thing I can think of to diagnose it is to take a light probe and or meter to the socket and check for voltage.
If you have a better solution, I'm open. About the only other thing I can think of is to take (make) some leads and a 9 voltage battery (maybe it will work for testing) otherwise I will have to go to the 12 volt source and see if I can get it to light.

#5 ·
So, I checked what little I could today without taking everything out of the trunk. The plug looks ok, I put a dab of connection lube on it, re attached it. Still no go. The only thing I can think of to diagnose it is to take a light probe and or meter to the socket and check for voltage.
If you have a better solution, I'm open. About the only other thing I can think of is to take (make) some leads and a 9 voltage battery (maybe it will work for testing) otherwise I will have to go to the 12 volt source and see if I can get it to light.
Hey Green,
I checked my wires this morning with a test probe and only had power to the White/Yellow lead. Obviously I couldnt check the turn as it was thinking the light was out and hyper flashing. Anyway, this leads me to think that the assy is indeed out despite the other functions working.

Jeff

#6 ·
White/yellow is the park lamp. White/Dark Green is the turn signal. The BCM supplies power to both. It could be your BCM.
You may be able to find another tail light assembly at a self serve junkyard for less, but it seems odd that the leds would all be bad and yet flash with the fob.

#8 ·
If there is no light on your test light, either the wire or the BCM is the problem. Do not pierce the insulation. You need to test at the BCM connector. Pull the connector and test the White/Dark Green wire for continuity with the ohmmeter scale on a multimeter.

#9 ·
Be careful with paperclips. Use a sewing needle that gradually gets thicker. Paperclips can spread the terminal inside a connector.
One probe at the tail light connector and the other probe at the BCM connector pin 4. Disconnect C6 from the BCM before testing.

#10 · (Edited)
I will head over to Harbor Freight now to get the meter (I have one in storage somewhere) and body tools (Also in storage). I used the paper clip out of desperation, but yes the sewing needle makes more sense.

By the way... what is the difference (other than $24) of PN 68273184AB and 68273182AB ?

Thanks

#11 ·
The BCMs with HID headlights have two fuses that the halogen headlight BCMs do not. Halogen headlight BCMs are internally different without the terminals or circuits for those fuses.

#13 ·
I was wondering if it could be the assy?
There is a slight damage to that corner from previous owner and I did notice the cover not being entirely under the trunk seal when I bought the car. I can find the BCM online for about $70. Just a pain in the rear that they would design it like this where you have to replace the assy instead of the simple and consumer cost effective way.
Now that I look at the pic from above, I dont remember C6 looking like that, but more like C5.
I will have to get in there again and take a second look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.