Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help. I just replaced the pads and rotors front and back on my car. They all work, I took it for a short test drive, however there's a small scraping noise from the back only, and I can pull my E Brake more than I could before, which is obviously the cause of the sound. What did/didnt I do properly, and how to I fix this? Thanks.

@Exitus04 or anyone else, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2015 Dodge Dart Aero 1.4T
3,639 Posts
Need some help. I just replaced the pads and rotors front and back on my car. They all work, I took it for a short test drive, however there's a small scraping noise from the back only, and I can pull my E Brake more than I could before, which is obviously the cause of the sound. What did/didnt I do properly, and how to I fix this? Thanks.

@Exitus04 or anyone else, any suggestions?
Did you close the brake reservoir and pump the brakes after replacing the rear pads?

I would guess yes, but I'm also thinking that you might be running into the seizing issue with the rear calipers.

What you need to do is have someone sit in the drivers seat and pull then release the e-brake. You stick your head under there and see if the e-brake releases completely...

Odds are it won't and it's keeping pressure/resistance on the pads. The only way to fix it is to get the calipers replaced or do it yourself.

You can get wrecked dart rear calipers on eBay for pretty cheap! I got mine for like $35/ea.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you close the brake reservoir and pump the brakes after replacing the rear pads?

I would guess yes, but I'm also thinking that you might be running into the seizing issue with the rear calipers.

What you need to do is have someone sit in the drivers seat and pull then release the e-brake. You stick your head under there and see if the e-brake releases completely...

Odds are it won't and it's keeping pressure/resistance on the pads. The only way to fix it is to get the calipers replaced or do it yourself.

You can get wrecked dart rear calipers on eBay for pretty cheap! I got mine for like $35/ea.
But the Ebrake was 100% fine before I replaced the pads/rotors on the rear. Now I can pull it up about 30% more than I ever could.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
But the Ebrake was 100% fine before I replaced the pads/rotors on the rear. Now I can pull it up about 30% more than I ever could.
That's kinda strange... just check and see if the e-brake releases all the way. Then we can go from there. You may have also stretched the brake cable.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's kinda strange... just check and see if the e-brake releases all the way. Then we can go from there. You may have also stretched the brake cable.
Alright...back out I go.

I was really impressed with myself too... I thought I nailed it.

Edit: Those V clips, I had to bend them a little bit to get them to stay and not pop each pad out when trying to slip the caliper back over, would that be an issue?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I did stretch the Ebrake cable, where do I go from there?

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
If I did stretch the Ebrake cable, where do I go from there?
If you did, then you gotta pull the center console out and get to the plate that connects both cables to the handle and tighten it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you did, then you gotta pull the center console out and get to the plate that connects both cables to the handle and tighten it.
The e Brake does fully disengage. The rear pads (on the right at least) scrape slightly while hand turning the rotor. Will bending the V springs wider help this? I'm also resinking the pistons and opening the reservoir again

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I took everything apart, redepressed the cylinders and they scrape less on hand turning. I've read elsewhere since that some scraping isn't abnormal on brand new pads depending on the type.

The Ebrake is still a little "looser", but it holds when I put it in first and give it gas, so I can live with it.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
So I took everything apart, redepressed the cylinders and they scrape less on hand turning. I've read elsewhere since that some scraping isn't abnormal on brand new pads depending on the type.

The Ebrake is still a little "looser", but it holds when I put it in first and give it gas, so I can live with it.
One other question for you... did you put your brakes thought the break in procedure?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One other question for you... did you put your brakes thought the break in procedure?
I did that tonight. Last night when I went to do it, I found out my wife didn't tighten the clamp on the TB end of the intercooler as much as it should have been, got 100ft out of the complex and when I hit peak boost it blew off. So had to go back and take her car to a store to get a new hose clamp. By the time we got back and ate it was dark, so we took it out today to break in the brakes...

Holy crap, I love them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jd4xcy260wug2k/20170521_191034.mp4?dl=0

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I did that tonight. Last night when I went to do it, I found out my wife didn't tighten the clamp on the TB end of the intercooler as much as it should have been, got 100ft out of the complex and when I hit peak boost it blew off. So had to go back and take her car to a store to get a new hose clamp. By the time we got back and ate it was dark, so we took it out today to break in the brakes...

Holy crap, I love them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jd4xcy260wug2k/20170521_191034.mp4?dl=0
From that video you posted... it sounds like you DV+ is getting stuck in the blow off plate...

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
It shouldn't be. I literally just had the DV/BoV off the other day to clean them up and such.
That blow off noise sounds like pressure is getting pushed around the plunger. When you take them off you need to make sure to re-apply oil around the plunger of the DV+ or else you can have issues with it getting stuck... It should sound like a crisp, clean air release. PSSSSSSSSHHHHHH, what I heard in your video was a sound like air was pushing its way around rubber.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you take them off you need to make sure to re-apply oil around the plunger of the DV+
What kind of oil/grease would you recommend? The only stuff I have around is engine oil, brake caliper grease and some WD40.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
What kind of oil/grease would you recommend? The only stuff I have around is engine oil, brake caliper grease and some WD40.
Use some new engine oil

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.