Dodge Dart Forum banner
41 - 60 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for the info. I haven't even made my first payment and I have already bought cruise, radio controls, leather wheel, and TFT display. I think I need to slow it down a bit before my wife kills me.

But thank you, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Can someone who has done this tell me exactly what interior pieces need to be removed to get the glove box out. I've looked at the attached PDFs and some PDFs from navtv that talks about disassembly, but I think they may involve removing a bit more than what is need to get the glove box out. The PDFs show the left endcap, the piece under the steering column, the center piece with the HVAC controls, the center console around the shifter, and then the glove box. Does the center console around the shift really have to be removed? What about the rest of it?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Can someone who has done this tell me exactly what interior pieces need to be removed to get the glove box out. I've looked at the attached PDFs and some PDFs from navtv that talks about disassembly, but I think they may involve removing a bit more than what is need to get the glove box out. The PDFs show the left endcap, the piece under the steering column, the center piece with the HVAC controls, the center console around the shifter, and then the glove box. Does the center console around the shift really have to be removed? What about the rest of it?
Yes they have to come out to gain access to hidden screws. It's fun, trust me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My car came stock with the RE2 8.4 Uconnect radio. No NAV and no Sirius. I picked up a RB5 radio from car-parts.com for $140.00. The RB5 has both NAV and Sirius. These are the options I use the most in my other cars. I have portable units for both but I like a clean factory look.

Install:
The radio is not the easiest thing to install. It’s located on top of the glove box. Biggestjohn posted a link with a “how to” for removing the glove box (link http://www.i-car.com/pdf/Tech_Clinic_Presentations/Chrysler_Tech_Clinic_Part_5.pdf). Thanks Biggestjohn. The radio itself is easy to remove/ replace, once you get the glove box out. After you completed the install the 8.4 screen will display an anti-theft password screen. At this point you will need to take the car to a Dodge dealer.
WARRNING: The radio is not behind the 8.4 screen.

Activating the Radio:
This is a 30 min. process. In this order – the Dodge tech needs to enter the anti-theft code. The code can be obtained by the VIN of the car the radio came out of or by the serial/”T" number on the radio. Take a picture of all numbers on the unit before you install. The Dodge tech may need the numbers. After they enter the code they need to sync the BCM with the new radio. This will tell the radio it belongs to your car. Basically it changes the VIN number that’s stored in the radio to your VIN. No VIN conflicts. You will have VIN conflicts before this process.
WARRNING: The radio will not work until you complete the activation. The only thing that worked on mine was the backup camera.

Suggestions:
I would look for a P04692350AD. I have a P04692350AC that came out of a pre-production Dart (1C3CDFBH4CDxxxxxx). No big deal for me but I would have liked one from a production Dart. I’m not saying all P04692350AC are pre-production units but you would be safe with a P04692350AD.

The only thing I have to install is the NAV/Sirius antenna. Some cars come with the NAV/Sirius antenna and some don’t. The RB5 comes with 2 antenna connections. One for AM/FM and the other for NAV/Sirius (same connection).

Everything works great, AM/FM, AC controls and Uconnect. NAV and Sirius apps open, they just say “cannot find satellite”. This will be corrected when I install the correct antenna.

Update 26 July 2013:

After working with the Dodge parts guy for about 3 weeks I finally have part numbers for the Nav/SiriusXM cable. These are not the correct parts for the Dart but they work. They are a little long. The parts guy did everything he could to find the factory part numbers with no luck.

I uploaded pictures of the install. Post 23 - 27

Every thing works perfect. I called Sirius to activate the satellite radio and got 1 year radio/traffic for free. i guess it was never activated.

ANTENNA - 5091973AB - $62.28
ANTENNA-SATELLITE RADIO CABLE – 5064225AE - $8.10 (Short cable from radio to glove box)
ANTENNA-SATELLITE RADIO CABLE – 68049341AA - $13.68 (Long cable from antenna to glove box)

View attachment 17808 View attachment 17809 View attachment 17805 View attachment 17807
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just saw this.
Do you see the "94" center, bottom on the first Mopar bag? That came from the St. Louis Depot, where I work.
There's a 1 in 12 chance that I picked that very part..........
Just saying.....

·
Registered
437 Posts
OK finally got the glove box out and the new radio installed. Holy (&[email protected]!# that was a complete PITA! Seriously, could they put those bolts in any harder to get to. Will take the car to the dealer on Monday to get the radio unlocked and synced to the car. BTW I got part number P04692350AE.
Where did you locate the part?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dealer is telling me they can't add the sales code to the car, I'd like to hear from people here who have done it if they had any problems getting the sales code added to the vehicle? Or is adding the sales code even necessary, will doing the Proxi Configuration Alignment work without adding the sales code.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you have 8.4 and SAT radio but no nav all u need is the RB5 .no need to purchase extra wiring or antennas. I had the 8.4 with just Sat no nav. All I purchased was the rb5 to get navi working.

Another question, the RB5 unit that you purchased... does it have a CD slot built into it? I realize that our vehicles have the "REMOTE CD PLAYER" in the center armrest console but every photo that I see of an RB5 receiver has a CD slot. Take a look at the black rectangular "FELT" area on the RB5 receiver below... it has a CD slot. So, did the received you purchased have this as well?

Electronics Technology Electronic device Cd player Auto part

·
Registered
274 Posts
just got back from the dealer and they told me the RA5 8.4 SAT unit has NAV already in it but needs to be activated for $895,,,Though MSRP is $595,,,so if i got the RB5 and "found" someone to activate it,,,how is this different than getting the NAV unlocked on the RA5

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well my trip to the dealer was...interesting. I have my RB5 radio unlocked, and it works fine. No check engine light or anything. But I have the flashing odo that is supposed to be fixed by the PROXI Configuration Alignment. Dealer says they can't do a Proxi Alignment without having a sales code to add to the vehicle, they say they option won't be there. I think they are wrong, as Chrysler docs say anytime a module is replaced you have to do a proxy configuration alignment. I may need to take it to another dealership.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@weezedog

Does ur display show the " + " icon on the bottom right corner and if so when u press it does it have the travel link option on the screen?

This is the back of the rb5 unit. The front part is all covered . sorry no pic of it since it was jut covered in the casing. So the above pic from the other post is a diff radio

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am jumping the gun as i don't even have the car yet,,but i will,,,$895 is not happening especially msrp is $595 and the NAV is a $495 option,,I will not spen that much for a few button presses and a phonecall to activate it,,sales guy today said he charged a few people $595 and got chewed out for it,,He says the business is entitled to make money on stuff like that, or something to that effect

·
Registered
129 Posts
It is not 895 to activate it. If that's what he paid he got ripped off. Plenty of members here bought a used one and did a self install. The only dealer interaction is to put in the antitheft for like a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
$895 is what is supposed to be charged if your radio is a RA5 with SAT,,according to the dealer connect system, "on the sales mans' computer" ,thats when he told me about the $595 msrp actually i saw it on his screen,,then he preceded to say the nav was there It did not need to get the RB5 since it was already in the RA5,,just activated,,I told him about the rb5 and it needs to be activated with the vin and the magic plug in box they have...I already got them to give me the car for invoice and $2k off sticker,,should i be a pita and say "have it activated when i pick it up?" if i decide to take that car...

41 - 60 of 238 Posts