Dodge Dart Forum banner
221 - 237 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
So all that is needed for this swap is a rb5 tuner? My re2 has Sirius. Does rb5 add hdradio? My wife’s Cherokee has HD radio. Just confused a little on this swap. I heard conflicting stories.
Was the unlocking done now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
881 Posts
So all that is needed for this swap is a rb5 tuner? My re2 has Sirius. Does rb5 add hdradio? My wife’s Cherokee has HD radio. Just confused a little on this swap. I heard conflicting stories.
Was the unlocking done now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah for the 8.4 system that does not have nav you just need the RB5 tuner, get the anti-theft pin for it, install it and a proxy alignment. Also note the RB5 has to be from a Dart.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I found this video on youtube. I would just skip to about the 8:18 mark he atleast shows a picture of where the bolts are on the bucket to get out, other than that way to much rambling on in that video.

·
Administrator
5,314 Posts
The FSM has you remove the floor console bezel instead of the instrument cluster bezel. If you don't have the glove box light, you could skip that part. The harness bundle under the glove box are the STAR connectors. The metal box is the Telematics Gateway Module (TGW). The console removal has 7 pics so that will follow this post.

23 - Body / Instrument Panel / GLOVE BOX, Instrument Panel / Removal

REMOVAL

1.Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2.Remove the instrument panel end cap.

3.Remove the floor console center bezel, (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/CONSOLE, Floor/Removal) .

4.Open the glove box door (2).

5.Remove the upper fasteners (1).

Line art Drawing Technical drawing

6.Remove the push pin fasteners (2) securing the hush panel/silencer (1).

Line art Motor vehicle Mode of transport Line Coloring book

7.Remove the hush panel/silencer (1).

NOTE: Shown with glove box removed for fastener location clarity.

8.From behind the glove box under the instrument panel, remove the four fasteners (1) securing the wiring support bracket to the glove box.

Auto part Line art Automotive window part Diagram

9.Remove the two fasteners (2) securing the sides of the glove box assembly to the bottom of the instrument panel.

10.Remove the three fasteners (1) located in front of the glove box door (2) hinge.

Line art Drawing Automotive window part

11.Disconnect the wiring connector to the glove box light and remove the glove box assembly.

Glove Box Door-

1.Open the glove box door (2) approximately 75%.

2.Lift the glove box door (2) upward and then jounce to release the catch arms and lower hinge pivots.

3.Remove the glove box door (2) from the glove box assembly

·
Administrator
5,314 Posts
23 - Body / Interior / CONSOLE, Floor / Removal

REMOVAL

1.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

2.Unclip the shifter bezel (1), (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/BEZEL, Shifter - Removal) .

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper

NOTE: Do not remove the shifter bezel, as it will fit through the opening once the storage bin has been removed.

3.Pull the emergency brake handle (2) fully up.

4.Remove the emergency brake side cover.

5.Position the seat fully forward.

6.Using a small pick/pry tool or equivalent, remove the fastener cover (3) located near the lower rear of the console. Remove the fastener behind the cover. Repeat on the other side.

Car Vehicle Center console Compact car

7.Using Trim Stick C-4755 , disengage the retaining tabs/clips securing the switch pod (2) to the instrument panel.

8.Position the switch pod (2) slightly away from the instrument panel and disconnect the appropriate wire harnesses. Remove the switch pod (2).

9.Accessing from the front of the floor console (1) and using Trim Stick C-4755 , disengage the retaining tabs for the front gap hiders (2) and remove the gap hiders (2).

Line art White Design Drawing Illustration

10.Disconnect the floor console wiring harness (3).

Line art Auto part Coloring book

11.Disconnect the wire connector (2) from the auxiliary power outlet (1).

12.Remove steering column opening cover.

13.Remove the fastener (1) securing the console upper assembly (2) to the dash panel.

Line art Auto part Automotive window part Automotive exterior Drawing

14.Using Trim Stick C-4755 , disengage the retaining tabs/clips securing the console upper assembly.

15.Remove the storage bin liner.

Line art Auto part Automotive engine part Automotive window part

16.Using Trim Stick C-4755 , disengage the retaining tabs/clips securing storage bin (1) to the floor console (2).

17.Remove the two fasteners (1) from the floor console (2).

Line art Coloring book Auto part Drawing Illustration

18.Lift the console up at the rear and remove from the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
the cravenspeed short shifter install instructions also has how to remove the center console as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
also before i jump into it this weekend can anyone tell me what i need to enable in alfaobd my current uconnect has the alpine speakers (idk if thats a seperate setting). ive been poking around the app think i have it figured out but if someone thats done it before could tell me the steps for it thanks

·
Registered
881 Posts
also before i jump into it this weekend can anyone tell me what i need to enable in alfaobd my current uconnect has the alpine speakers (idk if thats a seperate setting). ive been poking around the app think i have it figured out but if someone thats done it before could tell me the steps for it thanks
Does your current uconnect give you any special options saying Alpine or anything? I would start with just doing a Proxy Alignment with AlfaOBD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah for the 8.4 system that does not have nav you just need the RB5 tuner, get the anti-theft pin for it, install it and a proxy alignment. Also note the RB5 has to be from a Dart.
So you DO NOT have to change the screen out at all when upgrading to the RB5 from RE2 its always compatible?? Just the tuner everything is in the software.

·
Registered
881 Posts
So you DO NOT have to change the screen out at all when upgrading to the RB5 from RE2 its always compatible?? Just the tuner everything is in the software.
yeah no need to swap screens, the screen is just a screen. Just need the tuner. Obviously if you didn't have the screen and just a base radio there is a ton more work, but for non nav 8.4 you just need to swap to a rb5. It just HAS to come from a Dart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So dealer says I can’t get nav I really can’t believe this I have the 8.4 unconnect radio with siris am/fm Bluetooth no cd he told be I would have to replace the radio wires to the attena as well as the attena and still the bcm might not recognize it because my vin does not have nav is there any option to get nav for me

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
So dealer says I can’t get nav I really can’t believe this I have the 8.4 unconnect radio with siris am/fm Bluetooth no cd he told be I would have to replace the radio wires to the attena as well as the attena and still the bcm might not recognize it because my vin does not have nav is there any option to get nav for me
The unit with navigation is a totally different radio unit. It's not like the newer units, where navigation can be unlocked with a software key, if you have the RE2 non-nav radio, it simply does not have navigation hardware or storage and needs to be replaced with the RB5 nav radio. And yes, you will need the GPS antenna and wiring as well. You will then need the PIN to unlock the radio (there's a tool you can download to extract the PIN for a small fee) and you will need to do a proxi alignment using AlfaOBD. It can be done, but a dealer won't do it because there's no documented procedure to replace one radio with another and they don't do modifications. And honestly, it's a lot of work for a substandard, unresponsive navigation system where even if you pay to keep them updated, the maps are always a year out of date. It's just not worth the hassle for most people who generally have a smartphone with better navigation tools in their pocket.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've done the upgrade. Did it a couple years ago and honestly its not worth it cause now here we are a couple years later and I got the dreaded "cannot unlock maps" so the tuner has to be replaced again. I would just stick with cellphone maps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've done the upgrade. Did it a couple years ago and honestly its not worth it cause now here we are a couple years later and I got the dreaded "cannot unlock maps" so the tuner has to be replaced again. I would just stick with cellphone maps.
Where did you get it done at

·
Registered
881 Posts
Where did you get it done at
I bought the tuner off eBay, wrote the VIN # of the vehicle it came out of on the tuner, then took a pic of the VIN/Sticker info off the radio then installed it. Went to the dealer and gave them the info, to get the anti-theft PIN and then had them to the proxi-alignment (the proxi can be done with AlfaOBD now).

221 - 237 of 237 Posts