Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car came stock with the RE2 8.4 Uconnect radio. No NAV and no Sirius. I picked up a RB5 radio from car-parts.com for $140.00. The RB5 has both NAV and Sirius. These are the options I use the most in my other cars. I have portable units for both but I like a clean factory look.

Install:
The radio is not the easiest thing to install. It’s located on top of the glove box. Biggestjohn posted a link with a “how to” for removing the glove box (link http://www.i-car.com/pdf/Tech_Clinic_Presentations/Chrysler_Tech_Clinic_Part_5.pdf). Thanks Biggestjohn. The radio itself is easy to remove/ replace, once you get the glove box out. After you completed the install the 8.4 screen will display an anti-theft password screen. At this point you will need to take the car to a Dodge dealer.
WARRNING: The radio is not behind the 8.4 screen.

Activating the Radio:
This is a 30 min. process. In this order – the Dodge tech needs to enter the anti-theft code. The code can be obtained by the VIN of the car the radio came out of or by the serial/”T" number on the radio. Take a picture of all numbers on the unit before you install. The Dodge tech may need the numbers. After they enter the code they need to sync the BCM with the new radio. This will tell the radio it belongs to your car. Basically it changes the VIN number that’s stored in the radio to your VIN. No VIN conflicts. You will have VIN conflicts before this process.
WARRNING: The radio will not work until you complete the activation. The only thing that worked on mine was the backup camera.

Suggestions:
I would look for a P04692350AD. I have a P04692350AC that came out of a pre-production Dart (1C3CDFBH4CDxxxxxx). No big deal for me but I would have liked one from a production Dart. I’m not saying all P04692350AC are pre-production units but you would be safe with a P04692350AD.

The only thing I have to install is the NAV/Sirius antenna. Some cars come with the NAV/Sirius antenna and some don’t. The RB5 comes with 2 antenna connections. One for AM/FM and the other for NAV/Sirius (same connection).

Everything works great, AM/FM, AC controls and Uconnect. NAV and Sirius apps open, they just say “cannot find satellite”. This will be corrected when I install the correct antenna.

Update 26 July 2013:

After working with the Dodge parts guy for about 3 weeks I finally have part numbers for the Nav/SiriusXM cable. These are not the correct parts for the Dart but they work. They are a little long. The parts guy did everything he could to find the factory part numbers with no luck.

I uploaded pictures of the install. Post 23 - 27

Every thing works perfect. I called Sirius to activate the satellite radio and got 1 year radio/traffic for free. i guess it was never activated.

ANTENNA - 5091973AB - $62.28
ANTENNA-SATELLITE RADIO CABLE – 5064225AE - $8.10 (Short cable from radio to glove box)
ANTENNA-SATELLITE RADIO CABLE – 68049341AA - $13.68 (Long cable from antenna to glove box)

Wire Cable Coaxial cable Technology Electronic device
Wire Cable Technology Electronic device Electrical wiring
Technology Label

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ive been looking into this. I work for a dealer and one of the techs is saying this is just for satellite radio... and that i need the gps antenna as well? Anyone else confirm this?
Your tech is wrong. I do not have the separate "gps antenna" but I do have gps. The roof mounted antenna referenced above performs the function of carrying the signal for am/fm/sat/gps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Biggestjohn is correct. There are only 2 antenna connections on the back of the RB5 radio. White is for AM/FM and yellow/orange is for Nav/Sirius. I received my 2 wire antenna and mast today. I don’t have the extension cable yet for the Nav/Sirius so I connected the new antenna directly to the RB5 and tucked it up in the dash (just yellow/orange connector). My Nav/Sirius works perfect. Without the mast you will have a week signal.

If I remember correctly the Nav only antennas are for the older units (pre 8.4 RB5/RE2). The connecter is blue and the antenna is located in the dash. It would work except that each color connecter is keyed.

Mopar part numbers:
2 wire AM/FM/Nav/Sirius Antenna = 05091973AB-001
Antenna Mast = 05091100AA
Extension cable - Search ebay = Satellitic Radio antenna Extension cable Fakra female to Male "K" pigtail (not sure on the length)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Biggestjohn is correct. There are only 2 antenna connections on the back of the RB5 radio. White is for AM/FM and yellow/orange is for Nav/Sirius. I received my 2 wire antenna and mast today. I don’t have the extension cable yet for the Nav/Sirius so I connected the new antenna directly to the RB5 and tucked it up in the dash (just yellow/orange connector). My Nav/Sirius works perfect. Without the mast you will have a week signal.

If I remember correctly the Nav only antennas are for the older units (pre 8.4 RB5/RE2). The connecter is blue and the antenna is located in the dash. It would work except that each color connecter is keyed.

Mopar part numbers:
2 wire AM/FM/Nav/Sirius Antenna = 05091973AB-001
Antenna Mast = 05091100AA
Extension cable - Search ebay = Satellitic Radio antenna Extension cable Fakra female to Male "K" pigtail (not sure on the length)
I ordered 15'. 10' only reaches to the pillar, 15' leaves a little excess cable.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have serious but no nav. I wanted it but this was the only radio with all the other stuff I wanted. How difficult how much will it run me to swap everything is over? The dealership even said mine wasn't captive for the blue tooth upgrade and they paid/installed an aftermarket for me. I think my only option to get all the goodies I want is a complete radio swap but don't really wanna pay 500 bucks for it. Any advice?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have serious but no nav. I wanted it but this was the only radio with all the other stuff I wanted. How difficult how much will it run me to swap everything is over? The dealership even said mine wasn't captive for the blue tooth upgrade and they paid/installed an aftermarket for me. I think my only option to get all the goodies I want is a complete radio swap but don't really wanna pay 500 bucks for it. Any advice?
What radio do you have? If you have the re2, read the first post, if you have the rae/200 it's a P.I.T.A.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What radio do you have? If you have the re2, read the first post, if you have the rae/200 it's a P.I.T.A.
Not sure specifically which radio, haven't dug too deep yet, but it has sirius no bt and no nav. But if above is correct and sat nav is the same antenna then I should technically just need to swap radios correct? In reading another post I saw that the radio is a separate unit than the touch screen located in the glove box if I'm not mistaken. If it's as simple as just plug and play I believe I could find the right to wiki on here to tear out the glove box and swap. Just don't want to do it if not absolutely sure. I have time to research it due to needing to save a bit and in the process of moving in the next couple months. But asking questions and researching can only help right? Lol. I'm a beginner when it comes to molding the anything, I've done stuff like radios way back in the day on older cars but it scares the sh! T out of me on a brand new car.... I'm pretty sure I'm going to install cruise tho.... Saw a diy on here and looks pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not sure specifically which radio, haven't dug too deep yet, but it has sirius no bt and no nav. But if above is correct and sat nav is the same antenna then I should technically just need to swap radios correct? In reading another post I saw that the radio is a separate unit than the touch screen located in the glove box if I'm not mistaken. If it's as simple as just plug and play I believe I could find the right to wiki on here to tear out the glove box and swap. Just don't want to do it if not absolutely sure. I have time to research it due to needing to save a bit and in the process of moving in the next couple months. But asking questions and researching can only help right? Lol. I'm a beginner when it comes to molding the anything, I've done stuff like radios way back in the day on older cars but it scares the sh! T out of me on a brand new car.... I'm pretty sure I'm going to install cruise tho.... Saw a diy on here and looks pretty straight forward.
If you have the 8.4 touch screen, you have the re2 (cd player will be in the console) If you have the cd player in your dash, you have the rae/200.

·
Registered
667 Posts
It's definitely the re2 then
Then you should be able to add the rb5 nav radio. You will have to have it activated by the dealership. You usually can get it used for around $150. I can not say for sure if you need to change the antenna. It's around $75 new, plus the antenna cable is around $25. Activation is usually $100.

You shouldn't need to change any wiring, other than the antenna. They do make an under dash antenna for nav if you don't have the nav antenna already.

You can find them used here:

http://car-part.com/

Viper described everything else in is first post.

Have fun taking out the glove box!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Then you should be able to add the rb5 nav radio. You will have to have it activated by the dealership. You usually can get it used for around $150. I can not say for sure if you need to change the antenna. It's around $75 new, plus the antenna cable is around $25. Activation is usually $100.

You shouldn't need to change any wiring, other than the antenna. They do make an under dash antenna for nav if you don't have the nav antenna already.

You can find them used here:

car-parts.com

Viper described everything else in is first post.

Have fun taking out the glove box!!!
What would be the easiest way to find out what antenna I have? Is it a visual thing or a PN on the actual antenna? $250 kicks $500+ in the face if i can just do the swap.... BTW biggestjohn, i read that huge thread you did with the TFT screen too. Pretty awesome stuff man. Did you ever find a resolution to the whole Odometer issue? Again, awesome that your willing to do that kind of stuff and share. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
667 Posts
What would be the easiest way to find out what antenna I have? Is it a visual thing or a PN on the actual antenna? $250 kicks $500+ in the face if i can just do the swap.... BTW biggestjohn, i read that huge thread you did with the TFT screen too. Pretty awesome stuff man. Did you ever find a resolution to the whole Odometer issue? Again, awesome that your willing to do that kind of stuff and share. Much appreciated.
Well, after you remove the glove box, you can crawl under your dash and look. If you have the two antennas connected, then your set to go. The second method is to drop your headliner and look up to see if you have two cables coming out.

There MAY be a third method. There is a kick panel under the glove box. Remove that.(snaps in place at the two front corners) On my car, there was a connection for the antenna that you can see under the glove box. I AM GUESSING that if you have both cables, there will be a connection for both of them. One is white, one is tan.

I would highly discourage you from dropping the headliner unless you absolutely have to. P.I.T.A x5

I haven't solved the flashing odometer, but there is a post where another member has.

BTW: If the connectors are there, get a picture. In fact, when you change the radio, get pictures of the installed radio.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts