Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2015 Dodge Dart SXT 2.4L

I have a rattle noise on a cold startup of the car once it warms up it tends to go away. When car is in Park, Reverse and Neutral it rattles. Sounds like metal with metal hitting and also like an exhaust leak sound.

I replaced the Serpentine belt with a new tensioner and idler pulley. However, the noise is still there. I will be inspecting the Valve cover for any damage and checking the timing chain slack tomorrow. Has new motor mounts as well.

Does anyone have the service manual on the timing chain, guides and tensioner removal?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would love to know if that was a fix. I have a grumbling noise coming from front right of dashboard. Sounds almost like walking a county trashcan down a gravel driveway or a failure in the exhaust system. Replaced VC Gasket and did not fix. Didn't check chains tension while I had cover off. guess I should have.

On start up for about 30min or so.
Neutral/1-6/Reverse All make noise when giving it throttle.
Does get quieter but doesn't fully go away.
Also feel a loss in power from before the sound started happening about 2 weeks ago.
2013 2.0/115k miles.

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
Check your serpentine belt and tensioner. The tensioner has a bearing that could make noise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would love to know if that was a fix. I have a grumbling noise coming from front right of dashboard. Sounds almost like walking a county trashcan down a gravel driveway or a failure in the exhaust system. Replaced VC Gasket and did not fix. Didn't check chains tension while I had cover off. guess I should have.

On start up for about 30min or so.
Neutral/1-6/Reverse All make noise when giving it throttle.
Does get quieter but doesn't fully go away.
Also feel a loss in power from before the sound started happening about 2 weeks ago.
2013 2.0/115k miles.
Well, I have not fixed it due to the dealer's lead time on getting the part. The dealer said around 7-8 days. Waiting on the part. Hopefully, it fixes it.

The rattle noise is heard sometimes at startup, when it's warm sometimes, definitely at low rpms going around 15-30 MPH. Kind of like a slight knocking rod. At high rpms the rattle goes away. Funny thing the car was fine I started it up one day then I was like something is not right. I replaced the serpentine belt and the idle, tensioner pulley as preventive maintenance however, the problem still existed.

I uploaded a video with the noise to help everyone out. I will keep the thread updated for future reference.

Rattle Noise Video

Noise is at 4 Seconds and around 53 seconds

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, everyone. I believe I have good news. I finished putting the car together and started it up. Test drove it around the block. The noise seems to be no longer present. Engine runs smoother and way quieter.
But, I will test drive it for about a week and let you know of any changes.

I'll post another video.

So I replaced both Tensioners:

05048145AA
TENSIONER. Chain. Balance Shaft.
Balance Shaft, Balance Shaft Chain.

05047505AA
TENSIONER. Chain.
Timing Chain

The Timing guides you can probably get away by not purchasing them but I did.

Stock Product Description Quantity

05047662AB TENSIONER ARM. Balance Shaft Driver 1
05047365AB TENSIONER ARM. Pivot 1
05047661AA GUIDE. Balance Shaft Chain. 1
05047364AA GUIDE. Timing Chain 1

Here is the crank seal if your interested:
2142125000 SEAL. Crankshaft Oil, Oil. Front. 1

I also replaced the hydraulic lifters and rocker arms. I had lifter noise when I would start the car. I replaced them since the timing chain needs to come loose.

Quantity of 8 are needed for the exhaust side.

P/N Quantity Description
05047228AB 8 ROCKER ARM. Valve.
05184332AA 8 ADJUSTER. Valve Lash.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to give everyone an update. Noise still is there but its a faint rattle. :/ kind of when it downshifts.
I'm a see if I can get a 2nd opinion.
My next guess is the multiair maybe a floating spring or sticking hydraulic lifters on the intake side

1 - 10 of 10 Posts