Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm considering purchasing a '16 Dart Blacktop with the 2.4L Tigershark and 46k miles but am wary about the oil consumption issues. Is there any way to determine if the engine has this common problem? Perhaps the vin or a certain batch during production was bad? Any info is appreciated.

I definitely like what the Dart has to offer but want to approach with caution. Sorry if this is a popular question and has been answered already. I'll be perusing these forums further for any information as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I personally wouldnt buy a used Dart with the 2.4L. The majority of them consume oil, and you have no way to know if the previous owner maintained a safe oil level. The engine could have been regularly run low so you may be getting into a car with potentially costly engine repairs. The average person does not check the oil level in between oil changes.

·
Registered
746 Posts
If you're worried about engine issues then the 2.0 is your only safe bet. Both the 1.4 and 2.4 had their share of issues

·
Super Moderator
3,380 Posts
Get a CarFax for that VIN. It will at least tell you how many owners it has had. Can you ask the current owner about it's service history?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, put this way. Do a google search of "2.4 tigershark oil consumption" and you'll find complaints from multiple forums from the dart, renegade, compass, 200 and the cherokee. This engine is known to burn oil, and its not isolated cases. Its also not isolated to particular model years. Even the new 2020 compass are having the issue. Yes, it may be the minority compared to the over all number of engines produced, but we'll never know because Chrysler doesn't release that kind of data. Anyone looking to buy a used vehicle with this engine have to consider they may be buying one of these problematic engines. Personally, I think that's a huge gamble to take. Engine repairs are costly!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Well, put this way. Do a google search of "2.4 tigershark oil consumption" and you'll find complaints from multiple forums from the dart, renegade, compass, 200 and the cherokee. This engine is known to burn oil, and its not isolated cases. Its also not isolated to particular model years. Even the new 2020 compass are having the issue. Yes, it may be the minority compared to the over all number of engines produced, but we'll never know because Chrysler doesn't release that kind of data. Anyone looking to buy a used vehicle with this engine have to consider they may be buying one of these problematic engines. Personally, I think that's a huge gamble to take. Engine repairs are costly!
There are almost 20k members on this forum. We have had about 20 threads about excessive oil consumption since 2013. If it was a big deal, we would be hearing about it more often.

·
Registered
273 Posts
while there is history of this engine having oil consumption issues, you're more likely to hear from people who suffer that issue on theirs than people posting threads about having engines working properly. It's like the news reporting good news. bad news gets clicks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 15 Dart GT with the 2.4L. I just recently changed my oil after a little over 5,000 miles. Took out 5 quarts and it took in 5.5 quarts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone!

I'm considering purchasing a '16 Dart Blacktop with the 2.4L Tigershark and 46k miles but am wary about the oil consumption issues. Is there any way to determine if the engine has this common problem? Perhaps the vin or a certain batch during production was bad? Any info is appreciated.

I definitely like what the Dart has to offer but want to approach with caution. Sorry if this is a popular question and has been answered already. I'll be perusing these forums further for any information as well.
My Dart burns oil so freaking fast to a point where I occasionally add oil.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hello everyone!

Make sure you check the entire main body wiring harness, because they are known to have issue out of the factory. Also, make sure that the thermostat and housing have already been replace, because that is the mileage for that engine where it says it needs to be replaced.

It is an automatic or manual?

·
Registered
Dodge dart Rallye 2013
1 Posts
I ordered mine and actually got to observe it being built via the internet.
2013 for my 50th birthday and 2 years sober . Was so excited and happy to get one ,I had one in high school ..... Paid 28,000 cash. Ive really been lucky compared to some of these people . Just started having difficulties one right ater the other.
But its been a great car and until the wipers switch went out 2 years ago and until now no problems no yeven
Minor ones! But , I did not have the 1000.00 to fix wipes , I just unplugged them, if I really needed to I could just plug them back in. They just don't stop Ever! Finally I am getting that switch fixed the dealer ,
Plugged it back in and told me they changer the wiper motor.almost 1000.00 did not disturb any debris around wiper arms or opening cowl to remove the motor .should have atleast put it back together right ,
And automatically checked my vin for recalls to order parts . Or maybe vaccuum and wash befor I picked it up.....Its not there fault that the dart was a p.o.s. but little "customer service "would have gone a long way toward earning my business in the future. To bad.. really getting old and its painful to get in and out of that car! Should have recalled the wipers switch!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone!

Hello;
My wife drives a `14 Dart Limited to work daily. It is a fifty mile one way drive, as we live far out of the city in a very nice rural area. Our Dart now has just under 190K miles and uses very little oil. I use Mobil1 0W-20 and it holds up well for 10K miles between oil changes. I change the oil and add five quarts, not the five and a half, because measuring it is a hassle and a half quart makes little difference anyway. Once it has 4 or 5K i add a quart, the sixth quart from the case i used to change the oil. It is generally a full quart low at that point. It will be a full quart low when i then change it next time, and i check it often to be sure. I actually checked it yesterday morning, just to be sure, as she was about to head to work. It is almost a quart low and the odometer is almost 190K. Once it is about 200K i will repeat the process with a Wix extended drain synthetic filter and five more quarts of Mobil1. I want to add, and this is important; I tried the Penzoil that Dodge wants us to use when the vehicle was brand new. It did hold up for 10K, so i used my tried and true favorite Mobil1. We stuck with Mobil1 because it eliminated the consumption issue for this Dart. I admit i am a fan of Mobil1 but it has held up great and we have had about zero problems with this car. I changed out left front wheel bearing and recently the water pump and another serpentine belt. I have changed the plugs twice and the tires twice. I have changed the brake pads once and have new ones ready to put on it and will do so soon. One sensor, the oil pressure sensor was changed very early on under warranty, it failed, threw a check engine light and the dealer replaced it.
It has been a great car as have our other Mopars. I am older than most of you i guess, and i purchase a new car every ten years and drive it around 300K before replacing it. I have tried a few others and never got results as good as this. For that reason i stick with Mopar. Try Mobil1 in your 2.4L Tigershark and see if that helps your consumption problem, hopefully it will work well for you.
Mopars-Only

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I ordered mine and actually got to observe it being built via the internet.
2013 for my 50th birthday and 2 years sober . Was so excited and happy to get one ,I had one in high school ..... Paid 28,000 cash. Ive really been lucky compared to some of these people . Just started having difficulties one right ater the other.
But its been a great car and until the wipers switch went out 2 years ago and until now no problems no yeven
Minor ones! But , I did not have the 1000.00 to fix wipes , I just unplugged them, if I really needed to I could just plug them back in. They just don't stop Ever! Finally I am getting that switch fixed the dealer ,
Plugged it back in and told me they changer the wiper motor.almost 1000.00 did not disturb any debris around wiper arms or opening cowl to remove the motor .should have atleast put it back together right ,
And automatically checked my vin for recalls to order parts . Or maybe vaccuum and wash befor I picked it up.....Its not there fault that the dart was a p.o.s. but little "customer service "would have gone a long way toward earning my business in the future. To bad.. really getting old and its painful to get in and out of that car! Should have recalled the wipers switch!!!!
Your wiper issue could be a few things, all of which are nowhere near $1,000 to fix. I'm not sure why they would even mention the wiper motor.

1) Check the fuse under your dash. If the fuse is blown, the wipers will remain on.

2) If that does not work, then the next most common issue would be the wiper switch itself on the steering column. It's about $25 for a used replacement. Any mechanic could install it in under 1 hour. So probably $200 labor max. Don't waste $1,000 at the dealership.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2016 Dart 2.4L has 92k on it, so the one you are looking at is low mileage. I use 1 quart between oil changes (6000 miles) and I do as above stated by Mopars-Only with 5 qt at the changes and then top off with a qt at 3k.. The biggest thing I found to help oil consumption on my engine (was about 1 qt per 1500 miles) is change the PCV valve.

I think the better questions are how is the overall condition (should look new) and how much are they asking for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2014 with the 2.4l. I just went over 100,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance. I keep tabs on my oil level because the computer has me going 10,000 miles between oil changes nominally.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a 2014 GT 2.4L and I have had no oil consumption issues and am currently at 70,000 miles. I believe the consumption issues are the minority. I think that main question here is how much is it? Personally I would get a higher mileage Dart with a car fax and no more than 2 owners. It either gives problems or doesn't. If it has 80k+ miles, and one owner, chances are there are no oil consumption issues because that was something that was prone to start happening at around 30k miles. Also, because the mileage is so low, the price is going to be high. As soon as you put a few thousand miles on it, your going to go into the black hole on the loan. This is another reason to get a higher mileage one unless you are absolutely getting a ridiculous deal and your not going to drive it very much. I purchased my Dart at 15k miles and have generally went 7k miles between oil changes.

Also.. The beautiful thing about the multiair engine strangely enough.. You can't run it low enough on oil to hurt it! IF it does get that low, the valves aren't going to open and the car is going to stall before it can hurt itself from oil starvation (Which is the actual sympton if it does have outrageous oil consumption issues). You add oil, it works again. One of the very very few real advantages of multiair in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
One of the very very few real advantages of multiair in my opinion.
Besides the significant improvements in horsepower, torque, and fuel economy, you mean? ;) On the 1.4T, when Fiat went from DOHC to MultiAir, all of those parameters saw at least 10% improvement with just that change. The MultiAir II system used on the 2.4L Tigershark is even more advanced and refined than the original version on the 1.4T (MultiAir II is now used on the 1.4T in Europe and makes even better power, torque, and fuel economy than the 1.4T Dart). The biggest drawback to MultiAir is that it is loud and it sounds like a tractor at idle.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Besides the significant improvements in horsepower, torque, and fuel economy, you mean? ;) On the 1.4T, when Fiat went from DOHC to MultiAir, all of those parameters saw at least 10% improvement with just that change. The MultiAir II system used on the 2.4L Tigershark is even more advanced and refined than the original version on the 1.4T (MultiAir II is now used on the 1.4T in Europe and makes even better power, torque, and fuel economy than the 1.4T Dart). The biggest drawback to MultiAir is that it is loud and it sounds like a tractor at idle.
Oh yes compared to other fiat engines for sure. Compared to slightly newer engineers from the competition however... It's nil. I love the multi air! I love the sound it makes and it's fun as hell to drive, but compared to the likes of a focus st, fiesta st, civic, etc it's meh.. my gf's 1.6t Hyundai Tucson would probably stomp me on pump gas. Actually I don't think it's ever had premium in it but considering it gains like 15-20 hershpers on premium, it would destroy me at that point. And that is one hell of a surprisingly nice engine. If I could go back, maybe it doesn't have the style my dart has but I probably would go with a Hyundai Veloster turbo which has the same 1.6t in it.

The one thing the dart itself has however at least in gt form is ridiculously good handling. If fiat would just put more work into multiair and use it on the exhaust too.. man could you imagine a 2.4 with full multi air and a turbo?! Would rip pretty hard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts