Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am going to be pulling the engine in my 2013 Dodge Dart. It is a 2.0L with a manual transmission. Is it easier to pull the engine with the transmission attached or leave the transmission in the car?
Long story short, I've blown up 3 oil filters and blown 5 quarts of oil on to the ground. Lots of metal in the oil pan and the oil pump looks perfect. Pressure relief valve seems to not have any issues but it builds enough pressure to swell a filter in less than 30 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
3,986 Posts
Pulling it with the trans would also involve the axles and struts. Just pull the engine if possible. You are in uncharted waters, not sure if anyone has pulled an engine from the top.
The FSM does say to pull both from the bottom and it looks like a lot of work. I don't see why it isn't any different than pulling an engine from the top on a Neon There is a access to the torque convertor bolts in the bellhousing.

Remove those so the engine and trans will be able to separate. There are two bolts at each location 33° apart around the flex plate.

You might be able to unbolt the AC compressor from the engine and leave it hanging to avoid draining the AC refrigerant.

Reactions: jsblanch

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thank you for your quick response. On the old Honda Accords and Civics, it is way faster to pull the engine and trans together. I don't really want to pull it but circumstances are what they are, I get to. Need to find out how far gone the whole engine is before we go looking at what all of the options are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, for the most part when you pull the engine you pull the trans. There simply isn't enough room to pull the clutch assembly out of the trans before you hit the passenger side of the car. My friend and I disassembled the front of the car, pulled the drive axles, reassembled the control arms and set the car back down on its wheels. We connected up the lift chains and gave it some tension and then unbolted the motor mounts starting with the rear one. This left the engine hanging and we simply pushed the car back and then set the engine on a couple of tires. We had received some advice that the engine will be back heavy so we placed the chains so the pulley end of the engine was on the rear timing cover bolt, the other chain we wrapped around the driver's side mount base. That pretty much hung the engine perfectly.
We broke a lot of the little plastic clippy doos. It was 10°f when we started and the car would not fit all the way in the garage so it was cold. It was about an 11 hour pull because we don't have a manual and the dealer was no help there.
Will have to get more pictures for those that want to attempt this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts