Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

After trying to adjust the tension on my e brakes from under the console, I noticed that one cable was longer than the other. I then went underneath the car and noticed that while both of the e brake arms on the caliper appeared to be in their lowest position, the driver's side was a bit higher than the passenger side, and the driver's side is the side with the longer appearing cable.

Not sure if that slight difference in caliper arm height accounts for that much of a difference in the car.
I jacked the car up and both wheels appear to spin freely.

But even after over tightening the e brake adjustment rod, I'm not getting much movement at the calipers themselves (I had someone pull the handle while I was underneath the car).

I know these cars have a reputation for rear calipers going bad, and I've read a bunch of threads about it on this forum. Is there any way to tell why the cables appear to be different lengths and if there is anything else I can do to check/correct this issue?

Automotive tire Automotive design Tire Rim Automotive exterior
Driver's side cable appears longer.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
Passenger side arm seems fully disengaged.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood
Driver's side arm appears slightly engaged, although both rear tires spin freely.

·
Registered
2014 Aero 1.4T 6 sp manual
25 Posts
That's exactly what mine does on the driver side. I smacked it back down to make sure it doesn't drag and just retired the e-brake from use as a parking brake. I do not have to park on any inclines so first gear is good enough for my needs.

But I'm following the thread in case someone has a solution lol

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have anyone seen this issue, especially with the cables inside the car being different lengths?

Using a rubber hammer, I tapped on the e brake arm on both calipers. Drivers side doesn’t seem to move, while the passenger side appears to jiggle a little.

·
Registered
2014 Aero 1.4T 6 sp manual
25 Posts
Have anyone seen this issue, especially with the cables inside the car being different lengths?

Using a rubber hammer, I tapped on the e brake arm on both calipers. Drivers side doesn’t seem to move, while the passenger side appears to jiggle a little.
In the pictures you posted above the driver side looks like it is hung on. The cable pulls on the arm to engage it. If I remember correctly there is a stop that the arm rests on when it is disengaged. Just because the wheel spins free doesn't mean it is disengaged all the way. I don't believe cables like this will stretch much, they usually will kink and break if something hangs up. It's a good design to save the cable that it can slide through in the cabin. If it was held securely something else would have to give.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After some more inspection, I am hopeful that it is just the caliper on the drivers side. I am going to replace it, and then see how the cables wind up and if I can then set the e brake adjustment evenly.

I'll report back how it all goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts