Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a humming noise coming from the engine bay when my car is going at high speeds; the noise goes away after a complete stop. My mechanic and I thought that the noise was the result of a bad wheel bearing and had it replaced just today, the problem is that the noise is still there and now my mechanic thinks that it could possible mean a bad transmission.

Has anyone had this problem with their transmission before? I haven't had any major issues with this car yet but if that's the case, then I'll probably end up leasing a new car as I don't want to pay for a new transmission.

Any advise will be appreciated

My car is a 2013 Dodge Dart SE 2.0 Automatic with 90,000 miles

·
Registered
350 Posts
There is a humming noise coming from the engine bay when my car is going at high speeds; the noise goes away after a complete stop. My mechanic and I thought that the noise was the result of a bad wheel bearing and had it replaced just today, the problem is that the noise is still there and now my mechanic thinks that it could possible mean a bad transmission.

Has anyone had this problem with their transmission before? I haven't had any major issues with this car yet but if that's the case, then I'll probably end up leasing a new car as I don't want to pay for a new transmission.

A hmmmmm noise seems rather unlikely from a tranny...how does it shift? Realistically if there's any issue with an auto tranny your shifting would be erratic or it will skip/slip. You will notice more than a noise when it's done for....

Manual? Maybe the clutch is constantly slipping which is of course no bueno, but noise I can't comment on.

Has he checked the calipers at all? Those could make some serious humming sounds when they sieze as I've been there....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Important question: can you reproduce the hum noise at idle or even gunning it in your driveway?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shifting is perfect between gears, it doesn't slip or skip. I have not checked the calipers so thanks for giving me an idea ( I haven't had any problems braking though).

The noise only happens when driving and going above 30 MPH. I cannot reproduce the noise at idle or even if a gun it in the driveway (I've already tried).

I seriously hope it's not the transmission because that would put a hole in my wallet.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Can you put the front end on jack stands? You can the get under there and have a helper put it in gear, accelerate slowly and you can listen for the humm. A piece of rubber hose to your ear can help isolate the sound. Be very careful not to get get your hands or hair caught in anything that's moving.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you put the front end on jack stands? You can the get under there and have a helper put it in gear, accelerate slowly and you can listen for the humm. A piece of rubber hose to your ear can help isolate the sound. Be very careful not to get get your hands or hair caught in anything that's moving.
My mechanic put the car on a lift today and made it run for 5 minutes to see if he could hear the noise again... the humming noise is gone when the car is on a lift ( no wheel bearing noise or anything).

When the car is on the road and as soon as it hits exactly 40 MPH the humming noise reappears. So now we are thinking the noise could be coming from the rear tires as they are over 50k miles each and are in bad shape. If that's the case, then I'm really glad it's the tires causing the noise and not the transmission.

Could a tire really make such a loud humming noise when it's time to replace it? I'm also thinking the rear tires could be unbalanced.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
My mechanic put the car on a lift today and made it run for 5 minutes to see if he could hear the noise again... the humming noise is gone when the car is on a lift ( no wheel bearing noise or anything).

When the car is on the road and as soon as it hits exactly 40 MPH the humming noise reappears. So now we are thinking the noise could be coming from the rear tires as they are over 50k miles each and are in bad shape. If that's the case, then I'm really glad it's the tires causing the noise and not the transmission.

Could a tire really make such a loud humming noise when it's time to replace it? I'm also thinking the rear tires could be unbalanced.
Yes, worn tires can be very noisy and can make humming, rumbling, or growling noises. If the rear tires are unbalanced, you should feel a vibration through your seat (if it's the front wheels, you will primarily feel it in the steering wheel).

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Tires are the first thing to check for a noise like described. My experience has been that a tire(s) can cause all sorts of loud noises. Even tires that look good and are checked for balancing and alignment can have shifted steel belts and other internal faults depending on the manufacturer. I've yet to have tires that went their full average mileage of wear before starting to make noise that bugs me, let alone a bad noise.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tires are the first thing to check for a noise like described. My experience has been that a tire(s) can cause all sorts of loud noises. Even tires that look good and are checked for balancing and alignment can have shifted steel belts and other internal faults depending on the manufacturer. I've yet to have tires that went their full average mileage of wear before starting to make noise that bugs me, let alone a bad noise.
Thanks for the info. I've already ordered new tires from amazon and I'm hoping this is the issue since we have isolated the noise coming from the rear.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Based on the descriptions, I'm going to guess it's either uneven wear on the rear tires from not being rotated, or from the alignment being out. If it's bad enough to be making noises it would be visibly obvious by looking at the tread on the tires. They'll have an uneven wave to the tread depth. This is pretty common lately since hardly anyone performs the regular maintenance on their cars that they should.

If the tires aren't the issue, then it's most likely the wheel bearing. I have had it happen that only the passenger rear bearing went bad, and it was very difficult to track down until the noise went from sporadic at high speeds to being much more frequent.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Based on the descriptions, I'm going to guess it's either uneven wear on the rear tires from not being rotated, or from the alignment being out. If it's bad enough to be making noises it would be visibly obvious by looking at the tread on the tires. They'll have an uneven wave to the tread depth. This is pretty common lately since hardly anyone performs the regular maintenance on their cars that they should.

If the tires aren't the issue, then it's most likely the wheel bearing. I have had it happen that only the passenger rear bearing went bad, and it was very difficult to track down until the noise went from sporadic at high speeds to being much more frequent.

It depends on the tires. Some tires go from reasonably quiet to howling like a hellfiend from normal wear. Some tires are just downright noisy in the first place. For example, my BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S tires are mostly pretty quiet when new, but become very loud by 50% wear. As they wear further, they make a "wubwubwub" sound like they were cupped at certain speeds, even though they aren't. Also, even brand new, they make a loud humming noise at 90km/h (more precisely, from about 89km/h to about 92km/h). I'm on my second set, and they both did this exact same thing at the exact same speed. It might be unique to the tire size, or the Dart, or even my specific car, but it's real. It's most noticeable on new, smooth asphalt. Anyway, my point is that each tire design has its specific characteristics, as does each car.

Lastly, I know I'm not the only person that has noted this, but many Darts are just tire-destroying machines, no matter how well-aligned they are. My Dart has less than 90,000km on the odometer and is on its 3rd set of tires.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To give you guys an update:

I bought 2 new tires and put them on the back thinking that this was going to finally fix the issue...... turns out it didn't. That humming noise was still there and was driving me nuts and I was running out of ideas. I also had the right front wheel bearing replaced prior to that.

Turns out that the noise was coming from the rear left wheel bearing!! The noise is gone now that I've replaced it. My other bearing will start making the same noise so I will have to replace that as well.

Thanks all for your help

·
Registered
879 Posts

I bought 2 new tires and put them on the back thinking that this was going to finally fix the issue...... turns out it didn't. That humming noise was still there and was driving me nuts and I was running out of ideas. I also had the right front wheel bearing replaced prior to that.

Turns out that the noise was coming from the rear left wheel bearing!! The noise is gone now that I've replaced it. My other bearing will start making the same noise so I will have to replace that as well.

Thanks all for your help
Good to hear. That's the same issue I had with mine. Haven't had any issues with any of the other bearings, and it's been a buncha miles since.

·
Registered
377 Posts

I hate when mechanics "guess" what the problem could be. Scotty Kilmer of Youtube showed an excellent diagnostic tool that tracks down noises for proper diagnoses. Basically, you attach the transmitters to various points of the vehicle, depending on where the noise is probably coming from, and the receiver indicates which transmitter is hearing the noise. Hope this helps and perhaps letting your mechanic know about this device, if they do not already know, may help.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts

Thanks all for your help
This is why I use my dealer.... they can and will compensate for misdiagnosis .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts