Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From reading through posts on this forum, I've noticed that the Dart's are known for having bad calipers from time to time.
Are there any obvious things that a caliper does (besides just locking up) that are tell-tale signs of something being wrong?

If I let my car sit for a week or more, one of my rear brakes are usually locked up a bit, and I have to work to get it fully free before I take the car for a drive.

·
Administrator
5,642 Posts
The Dart rear caliper is not what you typically see. Instead of a mini drum with small brake shoes inside the rotor, the Dart caliper turns the piston out when you apply the ebrake. It's supposed to retract when you release the ebrake but when it gets a little corroded, it fails to retract. Sometimes it can be played with but rebuilding or replacing is what will ultimately fix it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Dart rear caliper is not what you typically see. Instead of a mini drum with small brake shoes inside the rotor, the Dart caliper turns the piston out when you apply the ebrake. It's supposed to retract when you release the ebrake but when it gets a little corroded, it fails to retract. Sometimes it can be played with but rebuilding or replacing is what will ultimately fix it.
Thank you, I will review this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From reading through posts on this forum, I've noticed that the Dart's are known for having bad calipers from time to time.
Are there any obvious things that a caliper does (besides just locking up) that are tell-tale signs of something being wrong?

If I let my car sit for a week or more, one of my rear brakes are usually locked up a bit, and I have to work to get it fully free before I take the car for a drive.
Not going to lie I have not had a caliper piston issue ever. Just that the slides and pins gum up and rust up and then stick. That happens to me a fair amount. I ended up buying nice silicone pin grease I believe it's sil-glide and its done a good job of keeping the water out when no others ever had. The grease was actually still there at ever seasonal tire swap. But I had to stuff them very full and I pull the boot back and restuff the boot every time I change to winter or summer tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts